Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like

Washington v. Boise St. 4th down spot and first down call

First, I didn't see a thread on the Las Vegas Bowl, so I had to open this one. Second, those of you who are nuts about this teaser thread stuff, I don't know if this thread title meets your standards, but it is all I could think to use.
    Now, on to my question.
    Was anyone watching the Washington v. Boise St. game? Washington was ahead by one point. BSU was driving. BSU had a 4th and 1 and ran a QB sneak. Both side judges seemed to clearly mark BSU short of the first down. The one side judge was given the ball, and he marked it. The ball was kicked around. The side judge was trying to reset it. Then, out of nowhere, and without even taking the time to measure what seemed to be a short mark, the referee signaled first down. That was the most bizarre thing I have seen when it comes to a first down measurement, or rather a first down non-measurement. The guys in the booth made one little comment about it not being measured, but they never said anything else about it. It was weird.

Did anyone else see it?

Can anyone explain it?

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation First Team KentuckianaBFan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Re: Washington v. Boise St. 4th down spot and first down call

Quote Originally Posted by teamplayer View Post
    First, I didn't see a thread on the Las Vegas Bowl, so I had to open this one. Second, those of you who are nuts about this teaser thread stuff, I don't know if this thread title meets your standards, but it is all I could think to use.
    Now, on to my question.
    Was anyone watching the Washington v. Boise St. game? Washington was ahead by one point. BSU was driving. BSU had a 4th and 1 and ran a QB sneak. Both side judges seemed to clearly mark BSU short of the first down. The one side judge was given the ball, and he marked it. The ball was kicked around. The side judge was trying to reset it. Then, out of nowhere, and without even taking the time to measure what seemed to be a short mark, the referee signaled first down. That was the most bizarre thing I have seen when it comes to a first down measurement, or rather a first down non-measurement. The guys in the booth made one little comment about it not being measured, but they never said anything else about it. It was weird.

Did anyone else see it?

Can anyone explain it?
    SEC refs?

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I caught myself thinking... "Wow, the refs really don't give a crap about this game!"

BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nathan View Post
    I caught myself thinking... "Wow, the refs really don't give a crap about this game!"
    Exactly! That is what it seemed like. I thought the guys in the booth may have been told not to mention it again because they were trying to finish the game in time to not run into another time slot. It was amazing. If we got that kind of unbelievable break in a game, they would have taken twenty minutes to review it and run seven two minute specials about bad spots that have benefited Bama over the years, and they would have interrupted those spots with commentators who broke down slow motion replays of where the ball should have been spotted. It was amazing. I am not a conspiracy guy, and I think good and bad calls even out over the course of games or seasons, but it amazed me that they didn't say anything else about it.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Personally, I thought the 3rd down spot was bad too fwiw

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Mellow on TideFans.com

That entire scenario was a complete disaster from every angle. The spot on 3rd down was about 1/2 a yard shy of where it needed be, which would have given BSU the first down. The player caught the ball at the line, was pushed back about a yard, yet the referee spotted the ball in between. It wasn't the worst placement I've ever seen, but it was questionable.

Then Boise adds to the confusion by running a very unnecessary quick sneak that should have cost them the ball game. There was no reason in the world to run that quick of a sneak. You have multiple time-outs left, they had almost 2 minutes left on the clock, and you are running a play that barely allows you to line up, which kills pretty much all momentum. Needless to say the sneak got stuffed. Terrible play calling, terrible execution.

Then the referees come in and spot the ball about a foot ahead of where it should be, and it still should have been short. Then an official who couldn't have had a clear view of the play or the spot comes in and calls it a 1st down? That was poor effort as a team by the officials, and it should have gone to the replay booth. Come to think about it, there were quite a few crucial calls that didn't get reviewed in this one. I wonder what was up with that?

On a more comical note, did anyone else hear Musberger's gaffe on the Boise field goal. When the ball went through the uprights with 1:16 to go in the game, (and I watched this a couple of times to be sure) Brent clearly exclaims, "Boise wins". That was almost a Verne-esque moment. Messing up a name or number is one thing, but calling a 2 point game as over with over a minute to go is just awful.

Anyway, very entertaining game today. Congrats to Boise for their bowl win today.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by teamplayer View Post
    Exactly! That is what it seemed like. I thought the guys in the booth may have been told not to mention it again because they were trying to finish the game in time to not run into another time slot.
    Wouldn't want to cut into the 1 1/2 hour NFL preview.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Mellow on TideFans.com

[QUOTE=teamplayer;2069902] I thought the guys in the booth may have been told not to mention it again because they were trying to finish the game in time to not run into another time slot.

It probably wasn't a time-slot they were worried about, being in Vegas they probably had another "slot" in mind.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

But it was Boise St.!!

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah that is the first bowl game I got wrong. Really annoying. I was surprised that Sarkisian wasn't up in arms on the sidelines.

BamaNation First Team 1958againbear's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckianaBFan View Post
    SEC refs?
    Was that Penn Wagers and his SEC crew?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

BamaNation Hall of Fame CrimsonSEC's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Busy on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by 1958againbear View Post
    Was that Penn Wagers and his SEC crew?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Nah...I'd recognize that mouth anywhere.

I thought the sneak easily got the first down so, IMO, it was no harm no foul in this instance.
    Lee

"A long way," he said after being asked how far the Crimson Tide had come since Coach Nick Saban arrived three years ago. "I guess you could say it's the distance from Shreveport to Pasadena."
    Mike Johnson

Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Angelic on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by bamabomber View Post
    On a more comical note, did anyone else hear Musberger's gaffe on the Boise field goal. When the ball went through the uprights with 1:16 to go in the game, (and I watched this a couple of times to be sure) Brent clearly exclaims, "Boise wins". That was almost a Verne-esque moment. Messing up a name or number is one thing, but calling a 2 point game as over with over a minute to go is just awful.

Maybe Brent "Knew" Something