Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Buzzed on TideFans.com

Re: Washington v. Boise St. 4th down spot and first down call

Quote Originally Posted by teamplayer View Post
    First, I didn't see a thread on the Las Vegas Bowl, so I had to open this one. Second, those of you who are nuts about this teaser thread stuff, I don't know if this thread title meets your standards, but it is all I could think to use.
    Now, on to my question.
    Was anyone watching the Washington v. Boise St. game? Washington was ahead by one point. BSU was driving. BSU had a 4th and 1 and ran a QB sneak. Both side judges seemed to clearly mark BSU short of the first down. The one side judge was given the ball, and he marked it. The ball was kicked around. The side judge was trying to reset it. Then, out of nowhere, and without even taking the time to measure what seemed to be a short mark, the referee signaled first down. That was the most bizarre thing I have seen when it comes to a first down measurement, or rather a first down non-measurement. The guys in the booth made one little comment about it not being measured, but they never said anything else about it. It was weird.

Did anyone else see it?

Can anyone explain it?
    Herbie was the one who was commenting on the spot.

It was behind that yellow line they use to show viewers where the first down should be.

I couldn't believe they called it first down and then no replay as you said.

I was muttering to myself at that point "the fix is in!"

But I think they still could have made the FG had they not made a first down so maybe a mute point in the big picture...who knows.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bazza View Post
    Herbie was the one who was commenting on the spot.

It was behind that yellow line they use to show viewers where the first down should be.

I couldn't believe they called it first down and then no replay as you said.

I was muttering to myself at that point "the fix is in!"

But I think they still could have made the FG had they not made a first down so maybe a mute point in the big picture...who knows.
    It was 4th and 1 if I am not mistaken, which means Washington would have taken over possession.

BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rolltideallday View Post
    Yeah that is the first bowl game I got wrong. Really annoying. I was surprised that Sarkisian wasn't up in arms on the sidelines.
    That is what I was wondering, too. Why didn't Sarkisian call timeout and demand a replay for the spot and a measurement? It was strange.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Washington v. Boise St. 4th down spot and first down call

Did anyone notice Peterson's smirk right after the first down signal? Looked like he knew thy for away with one.

And earlier Boise had the big gain on a pass play where the WR appeared to be out of bounds, yet there was no review.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, so my post may not be what I typed thanks to auto correct. Also, I may need an emoticon but cannot use one in this post.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Yet another bowl not to watch.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

BamaNation Second Team
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't comprehend Sarkisian not uttering a sound, nor the Referee calling a first without even giving the spot a good look. Don't think the final horn is going to be the end of this, except for the score.

BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    Yet another bowl not to watch.
    Haha, sorry, I just assumed that everyone on this board enjoys college football. Then again, it was the West Coast version, which some would say isn't really college football. I didn't watch the entire game, but I did enjoy the parts that I saw, and I look forward to watching several other bowl games over the next couple of weeks.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Buzzed on TideFans.com

It was 4th and 1 if I am not mistaken, which means Washington would have taken over possession.
    Was it? Sorry I guess I wasn't watching that closely. That placement and first down call did catch my attention though.

So that really was a game-changer....wow.

The Huskies still kinda blew it on their last drive so maybe the better team won?

BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like

I didn't see the play but I like the way you titled the thread.

BamaNation First Team AgentAntiOrange's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Suspicious on TideFans.com

This thread needs some video footage.
    Be Good Or Be Gone

I just put them on the coffee table for recruits to look at
    -Coach Saban when asked if he wears his championship rings.

'Im sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football.
    -Andy Stiles, Sports Illustrated, after the 42-14 beat down of ND

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Haha, sorry, I just assumed that everyone on this board enjoys college football. Then again, it was the West Coast version, which some would say isn't really college football. I didn't watch the entire game, but I did enjoy the parts that I saw, and I look forward to watching several other bowl games over the next couple of weeks.
    Not meant disrespectfully, and I do love college football, but just cannot watch these lower tier bowl games.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Inspired on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    Not meant disrespectfully, and I do love college football, but just cannot watch these lower tier bowl games.
    Boise is a National championship Claliber team what you talking about.
    This is the beginning of a new day.God has given me this day to use as I will. I can waste it or or use it for good.What I do today is very important because Im exchanging a day of my life for it.When tommorow comes,this day will be gone forever. Leaving something in its place I have traded for it. I want it to be a gain, not loss - good, not evil. Success, not failure in order that I Shall not forget the price I paid for it.

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    HaHa on TideFans.com

Washington v. Boise St. 4th down spot and first down call

The bowl season is too watered down, and too long. 6-6 should get you a seat at the house.
    ROLL TIDE!