Washington v. Boise St. 4th down spot and first down call

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
First, I didn't see a thread on the Las Vegas Bowl, so I had to open this one. Second, those of you who are nuts about this teaser thread stuff, I don't know if this thread title meets your standards, but it is all I could think to use.
Now, on to my question.
Was anyone watching the Washington v. Boise St. game? Washington was ahead by one point. BSU was driving. BSU had a 4th and 1 and ran a QB sneak. Both side judges seemed to clearly mark BSU short of the first down. The one side judge was given the ball, and he marked it. The ball was kicked around. The side judge was trying to reset it. Then, out of nowhere, and without even taking the time to measure what seemed to be a short mark, the referee signaled first down. That was the most bizarre thing I have seen when it comes to a first down measurement, or rather a first down non-measurement. The guys in the booth made one little comment about it not being measured, but they never said anything else about it. It was weird.

Did anyone else see it?

Can anyone explain it?

KentuckianaBFan

All-SEC
Jan 26, 2011
Lakeland, FL, 2018
echoaffiliate.com
First, I didn't see a thread on the Las Vegas Bowl, so I had to open this one. Second, those of you who are nuts about this teaser thread stuff, I don't know if this thread title meets your standards, but it is all I could think to use.
Now, on to my question.
Was anyone watching the Washington v. Boise St. game? Washington was ahead by one point. BSU was driving. BSU had a 4th and 1 and ran a QB sneak. Both side judges seemed to clearly mark BSU short of the first down. The one side judge was given the ball, and he marked it. The ball was kicked around. The side judge was trying to reset it. Then, out of nowhere, and without even taking the time to measure what seemed to be a short mark, the referee signaled first down. That was the most bizarre thing I have seen when it comes to a first down measurement, or rather a first down non-measurement. The guys in the booth made one little comment about it not being measured, but they never said anything else about it. It was weird.

Did anyone else see it?

Can anyone explain it?
SEC refs?:biggrin:

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I caught myself thinking... "Wow, the refs really don't give a crap about this game!"
Exactly! That is what it seemed like. I thought the guys in the booth may have been told not to mention it again because they were trying to finish the game in time to not run into another time slot. It was amazing. If we got that kind of unbelievable break in a game, they would have taken twenty minutes to review it and run seven two minute specials about bad spots that have benefited Bama over the years, and they would have interrupted those spots with commentators who broke down slow motion replays of where the ball should have been spotted. It was amazing. I am not a conspiracy guy, and I think good and bad calls even out over the course of games or seasons, but it amazed me that they didn't say anything else about it.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
That entire scenario was a complete disaster from every angle. The spot on 3rd down was about 1/2 a yard shy of where it needed be, which would have given BSU the first down. The player caught the ball at the line, was pushed back about a yard, yet the referee spotted the ball in between. It wasn't the worst placement I've ever seen, but it was questionable.

Then Boise adds to the confusion by running a very unnecessary quick sneak that should have cost them the ball game. There was no reason in the world to run that quick of a sneak. You have multiple time-outs left, they had almost 2 minutes left on the clock, and you are running a play that barely allows you to line up, which kills pretty much all momentum. Needless to say the sneak got stuffed. Terrible play calling, terrible execution.

Then the referees come in and spot the ball about a foot ahead of where it should be, and it still should have been short. Then an official who couldn't have had a clear view of the play or the spot comes in and calls it a 1st down? That was poor effort as a team by the officials, and it should have gone to the replay booth. Come to think about it, there were quite a few crucial calls that didn't get reviewed in this one. I wonder what was up with that?

On a more comical note, did anyone else hear Musberger's gaffe on the Boise field goal. When the ball went through the uprights with 1:16 to go in the game, (and I watched this a couple of times to be sure) Brent clearly exclaims, "Boise wins". That was almost a Verne-esque moment. Messing up a name or number is one thing, but calling a 2 point game as over with over a minute to go is just awful.

Anyway, very entertaining game today. Congrats to Boise for their bowl win today.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Exactly! That is what it seemed like. I thought the guys in the booth may have been told not to mention it again because they were trying to finish the game in time to not run into another time slot.
Wouldn't want to cut into the 1 1/2 hour NFL preview.

TrueGritnPluck

Suspended
Nov 21, 2011
On a more comical note, did anyone else hear Musberger's gaffe on the Boise field goal. When the ball went through the uprights with 1:16 to go in the game, (and I watched this a couple of times to be sure) Brent clearly exclaims, "Boise wins". That was almost a Verne-esque moment. Messing up a name or number is one thing, but calling a 2 point game as over with over a minute to go is just awful.

Maybe Brent "Knew" Something

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Now, on to my question.

Did anyone else see it?

Can anyone explain it?
Herbie was the one who was commenting on the spot.

It was behind that yellow line they use to show viewers where the first down should be.

I couldn't believe they called it first down and then no replay as you said.

I was muttering to myself at that point "the fix is in!"

But I think they still could have made the FG had they not made a first down so maybe a mute point in the big picture...who knows.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Herbie was the one who was commenting on the spot.

It was behind that yellow line they use to show viewers where the first down should be.

I couldn't believe they called it first down and then no replay as you said.

I was muttering to myself at that point "the fix is in!"

But I think they still could have made the FG had they not made a first down so maybe a mute point in the big picture...who knows.
It was 4th and 1 if I am not mistaken, which means Washington would have taken over possession.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Did anyone notice Peterson's smirk right after the first down signal? Looked like he knew thy for away with one.

And earlier Boise had the big gain on a pass play where the WR appeared to be out of bounds, yet there was no review.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, so my post may not be what I typed thanks to auto correct. Also, I may need an emoticon but cannot use one in this post.

AlBamaWagg

1st Team
Jan 3, 2007
Mt Juliet, Tn
I can't comprehend Sarkisian not uttering a sound, nor the Referee calling a first without even giving the spot a good look. Don't think the final horn is going to be the end of this, except for the score.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Yet another bowl not to watch.
Haha, sorry, I just assumed that everyone on this board enjoys college football. Then again, it was the West Coast version, which some would say isn't really college football. I didn't watch the entire game, but I did enjoy the parts that I saw, and I look forward to watching several other bowl games over the next couple of weeks.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.