Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BamaNation All-SEC
    Recipes

Re: 2013 Depth Chart Possibilities

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    Ivory has been a big factor of our short yardage defense success this season and he has been a competent spell to Jesse Williams in regular defense. I'm not concerned with NT because we already have another big guy in Lake to take on Ivory's role from this season. We've done an exceptional job of keeping the true two-gap NT types coming into the program. I'm more concerned about us getting a little more from our DEs next season. Square and Stinson just haven't provided the push at times needed to make the blitzes work. They're never going to be high sack total guys but they do need to be able to effectively push their guy into the QB's face. I'm hopeful Pagan grows into what we had with Dareus next season.
    Our ends under Saban just haven't been those kinds of players it seems. Dareus and Gilberry are the only ones that could get consistent pressure.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Truely though, they don't have to be high sack total guys but they just need to be so physically dominating in the bull rush that the LBs can run around free. Our DEs have held up well against the rush but there has been a lack of push in passing situations. I'm telling you though that Pagan has that look of an elite 2-gap 3-4 end.

To illustrate from the pros, the Niners use a similar system and personnel to our own (obviously with much better overall talent) and their leading pass rusher, Aldon Smith, excels partly because their DE Justin Smith is such a terror on the bull rush. Pagan could open a lot up for the OLBs next season if he takes the next step.

BamaNation First Team
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

We need another Courtney Upshaw to step up. The 2011 defense was sick!
    Roll Tide!!!!!!

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

2013 Depth Chart Possibilities

Quote Originally Posted by Bamafan78 View Post
    We need another Courtney Upshaw to step up. The 2011 defense was sick!
    Without the push from the DEs we don't see Upshaw doing what he did. I hope the staff has groomed the young ones because they have the talent to really give a push next season. I don't want to see Manziel running around like a chicken with its head cut off.
    ROLL TIDE!

BamaNation All-American bamaslammer's Avatar

They started recruiting smaller possibly faster lineman after bo davis left. Its taking a while to get those guys up to sec play. I think next season we may see a little more effective push from the ends. I also thought sqare and stinson were playing their best at the end of the season. Hopefullly they will do well against the domers
    BS 1989

BamaNation All-American bamaslammer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by smohabbat View Post
    I think Vinnie barring an amazing improvement during spring will see no where near the playing time he's seeing safety this. Collins will have to see a lot more playing time or else he most likely transfers but I'm guessing he's a front runner to be the other half of HCD. Not player bashing I love vinnies hustle but he's just seems lost sometimes on passing downs.

I think Vinnie has a unique skill set and will always be a big part of our defense but with better cover men coming on line I agree it's going to be hard for him to keep his snap count as high as it has been. I'd like to see them make better use of him in the pass rush.
    BS 1989

BamaNation All-American

Good chart, but there's always room for debate.

In general, I agree with your assessments. We differ on the playing time of true freshmen (you think several will play more than I think they will. Honestly, I'm not that wild about a lot of freshmen playing because of what it says about the returning players.

Also, I'd flip Collins and Sunseri, due mainly to the pass coverage issues already discussed above. He's a great effort guy, but LSU unmasked him on coverage skills.

Overall, though, a good list.
    Undefeated World Champion Threadkiller

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Either way, it is going to be a good team. Just hope it transfers on the field. History says it will.
    ROLL TIDE!

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by bamaslammer View Post
    I think Vinnie has a unique skill set and will always be a big part of our defense but with better cover men coming on line I agree it's going to be hard for him to keep his snap count as high as it has been. I'd like to see them make better use of him in the pass rush.
    That is why I have him at dimeback next year. Clinton-Dix, Perry, Williams, and Collins will be the top line safeties while Sunseri is more of a role player who plays the LB/S hybrid in 6-backs.

Suspended
    My Mood
    Shocked on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    That is why I have him at dimeback next year. Clinton-Dix, Perry, Williams, and Collins will be the top line safeties while Sunseri is more of a role player who plays the LB/S hybrid in 6-backs.
    Isn't Perry a senior?

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Perry is a Junior

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by ems655 View Post

THOUGHTS??????

Only problem I see (unless my count is off) is that there are 90 scholarship names on that list--------

BamaNation Hall of Fame GreatDanish's Avatar

Where does DJ Pettway fit in next year? I saw that he has been practicing at LB.