Worst five Alabama losses in my lifetime

snake plissken

1st Team
Apr 13, 2011
Birmingham
Re: Top five Alabama losses in my lifetime

5. Auburn 2010 - terrible 2nd half
4. SEC Championship 2008 - cost us a shot at a national championship
3. SEC Championship 1994 - cost us an undefeated season and a possible national championship. Could have been Stallings 2nd in 3 years.
2. Tennessee 1996 - 7-0 going into game with revenge from the previous years drubbing.
1. Auburn 1989 - One of the most important games and we blow it with a 10-0 record and #2 in the country and one of the best offenses that year. We finally give in and play a game at their place and don't bother to show up.

Bama1985

1st Team
Jan 18, 2006
Calhoun County

So, are we feeding trolls now? This guy's first post is to talk about Bama losses and, coincidentally, two are to Notre Dame. Please don't feed the trolls.
His list is pretty close to mine. Notre Dame 24-23 in 1973 and Notre Dame 13-11 the next year; it cost us back to back national titles. The most devastating losses I have dealt with as a fan. I have waited close to 40 years for this moment in order to see Notre Dame get pay back. The Irish will not be able to use 4 weeks to shut down the vaunted wishbone this time around--this time they will have to overcome Barrett Jones and company. I like our chances.

bilbo

Pro Sports Moderator
Oct 13, 1999
Gulf Shores, AL

Loss to Tennessee with Payton Manning where he led their band to Rocky Top. I hate him to this day

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

TrueGritnPluck

Suspended
Nov 21, 2011

For me, Nebraska 6-38, 1971, Notre Dame 23-24, 1973, and Auburn 16-17, 1972, in that order. I still can't believe that the 1971 team was essentially non-competitive against Nebraska.
I think 1971 was an anomaly

Bama1985

1st Team
Jan 18, 2006
Calhoun County

Loss to Tennessee with Payton Manning where he led their band to Rocky Top. I hate him to this day

Peyton did say after the game that "Beating Alabama was special because Alabama is the SEC". Pretty high expression of respect from Mr Manning.

Bama1985

1st Team
Jan 18, 2006
Calhoun County

I think 1971 was an anomaly
Watched the 1971 replay the other night. Alabama had 4 terrible turnovers (two inside the Bama 5 yard line) and allowed a punt to be returned for a TD and high snap on a punt resulted in flipping field position. Special teams disaster--with a fumble on a kick off thrown in for good cheer. That being said--in order to win the 1971 game Bama would have had to have played error free and hoped Nebraska made mistakes. Nebraska was physically stronger from watching the replay. Notre Dame will face a similar situation against Bama this year. ND will have to play error free and hope Bama turns it over. Bama looks to be physically stronger than the Irish.

Stonewall1959

2nd Team
Oct 5, 2005
Macon, Georgia

Yes, all these losses were painful at the time. Fortunately, there's 10 wonderful wins for every loss to wipe away those memories. Living in Georgia, I'm having a blast right now wearing my Bama gear. So funny to wear my Bama shirt to the grocery store and see someone look at my shirt and watch their faces change.

A Georgia fan coworker walked past me the other day and said "Alabama won't beat Notre Dame" to which I replied, "maybe not, but I'm damn sure Georgia won't"....and kept on walking.

NDGiantsKings

Suspended
Dec 2, 2012

Nebraska was physically stronger from watching the replay. Notre Dame will face a similar situation against Bama this year. ND will have to play error free and hope Bama turns it over. Bama looks to be physically stronger than the Irish.
You are in for a surprise if thats what you think

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

Yeah, I don't think Notre Dame will be lacking in physicality. Their biggest weakness - which isn't exactly weak - on defense is their secondary. I think the pressure point is being able to make enough successful runs to bring one of Notre Dame's safeties down into a run support role. I've heard some Notre Dame fans say that they can stop the run with seven but I haven't seen a team stop us with a seven man front in years.

I suspect that the difference will be how Notre Dame copes with a team that can match up physically more than any team other than Stanford but with a far more coherent passing game than what they faced in that Stanford game. I wouldn't put Alabama's receivers in the same class as USC's but the overall receiver group and QB combination is better than what they caught against USC that night. If they have a great night from their secondary, they will have a great chance to win.

ontopp

All-SEC
Jan 31, 2004
Decatur.Alabama

I was standing upin the end zone in Legion field all I wanted was a 22 rifle lol.

legba

3rd Team
Feb 25, 2009
Thompson's Station,TN

5. Bama\MS.St... 6-3
4.Bama\ Texas ..14-12
3.Bama\UF in the SEC Championship 24-23.
2.Bama\UT -1982 # 2 and they lose to teh Vols in K'ville-35-28
1.Bama\barn-2010....I will never get over this

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland

The Gamecock fan in me could spend a week listing "top" losses. As a Bama fan I'll list the ones I remember (born 1967).

5. MSU/Bama 6-3 1980
4. UT/Bama 16-14 1985 (I was there, Bama was better team just lost, 4 in a row for vols)
3. Utah/Bama 31-17 2009 (this game still talked about by talking heads as an example of why mid majors deserve equal treatment with big boys, jus a bad loss)
2. Nebraska/Bama 38-6 1972 (beat down was actually worse than the score)
1. ND/Bama 24-23 1973 (watched with my dad and brothers, my dad, a Bama grad, was visibly upset)

drjohn432

1st Team
Nov 28, 1999
mobile

My worse was that Nebraska game. It was a disaster to loose to MSU and then ND after the great winning streak. We were never the same for a decade. Loosing to Auburn down there the 1st time and 10-0 in the sleet round out my list. '94 to Fla. hurt alot also. I did not feel near as bad after the '73 ND game as that was even all the way and they won a great fair fight.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.