Interesting Side Note To Greg's first Quarter As A Starter For The Jets

Didn't watch the game but from what I gather there wasn't much of a pocket in which to move around. Evidently he made some mistakes as well but this was his first designated starting role in the NFL. Eleven sacks and only one turnover? Seems to me he held it together pretty well under the circumstances.

G-Mac will take this game and learn from it. He'll likely peform much better next week.

RTR!!!
Granted, it'll be against the Bills... although that place is notorious for bad weather and crazy winds at the end of the season.

Now that I think about it... it'll be hilarious to see how people react if/when Marcell Dareus sacks Greg a couple of times.

Last edited:

jenk56

1st Team
Sep 5, 2012
Wow!! 11 sacks....gotta wonder if that wasn't a message sent to GMAC regarding the comments he made about the locker room at the end of last season. Those guys have alot of pride and didn't take kindly to a late round rookie calling them out. Let's hope next week they (the OL) display a better effort than they did today. We all now GMAC has some limitations but he is very smart and he will learn from this first game and should improve himself next week.

Crimson Cat

FB Moderator
Nov 26, 2006
Alabama
Tebow was leapfrogged by Greg McElroy on the team's depth chart when Rex Ryan chose to have the third-stringer make his first NFL start in place of the benched Mark Sanchez. All three quarterbacks were active, but only McElroy played, and Tebow never got into the game in the team's wildcat package. Tebow said ''it just happened'' that he didn't play in the package usually reserved for him, but ESPN New York reported that he actually asked out of running the wildcat earlier in the week, according to sources.
Otherwise, it has been a lot of standing around for Tebow. There were several moments throughout the game Sunday when the defense was on the field and McElroy and Sanchez went over the game plan with offensive coordinator Tony Sparano, while Tebow was off to the side talking with other teammates.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/...w-york-jets-lose-to-san-diego-chargers-122312

I'm sure he's frustrated, but he's had many, many more opportunities to play than GMac all season, and while I'm sure he's ready to move on, if you can't come in and continue to do your part for the team even when things aren't going as you planned, it comes off as a bit of sour grapes and an ego thing, imho. Gonna be interesting to see how things go with him in Jax next season if he does indeed get traded and becomes the starter, as most think.
The Jets Oline is putrid but GMac needs to make the most of this opportunity, as he's probably playing for a team spot next year. Best of luck to both.

Last edited:

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
Wow!! 11 sacks....gotta wonder if that wasn't a message sent to GMAC regarding the comments he made about the locker room at the end of last season. Those guys have alot of pride and didn't take kindly to a late round rookie calling them out. Let's hope next week they (the OL) display a better effort than they did today. We all now GMAC has some limitations but he is very smart and he will learn from this first game and should improve himself next week.
I had actually wondered the same thing, although I had forgotten about GMac's locker room comments. His offensive line was almost to bad to be an NFL line, so I couldn't help but wonder if they were trying to send a message to the coaching staff as well.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
To me this should nearly kill Tebow's career. Refusing to play is not a professional move, that's immature and unprofessional. It seems like Jacksonville might be his last chance to have the sort of career he's imagined, and I'm not betting on that. He's acting like an entitled little brat and at this point I'm cheering for him to fail. He could have handled himself properly and instead he bit the hand that feeds him.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Is there a report that says he really did refuse to play in the Wildcat? All I've seen are "unnamed sources".

1958againbear

1st Team
Jan 27, 2011
Is there a report that says he really did refuse to play in the Wildcat? All I've seen are "unnamed sources".
I think the ESPN article I read said he asked or requested not to play the wildcat. Basically the same as refusing.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Crimson Cat

FB Moderator
Nov 26, 2006
Alabama
Gmac went 14/24 for 185 passing, 25 rushing yards with 0 TDs and 1 INT, 1 Fumble.
Phillip Rivers went 11/22 for 165 passing, 4 rushing 2 TDs.
Jets had 225 total yards, Chargers 223.
Jets 18 first downs, Chargers 15.
Biggest difference-- GMac got sacked 11 times, Rivers got sacked 4.

To add to that, the rushing stats were bad for the Jets. Their leading rusher only had 38 yds in 14 carries. I think GMac is unfortunately getting his chance after the team as a whole has given up and doesn't care anymore. It won't be easy for him.

Im_on_dsp

All-SEC
Oct 10, 2007
Canton, GA
I might give that some credence if it weren't for the fact that his comments last year weren't directed at the offensive line. He was talking about Santana Moss, Darelle Revis, et al. I'm pretty sure that some of those guys up front probably felt the same way as Greg.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/12/24/schwartz-tebow-turned-out-to-be-a-phony/
http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon/2012/12/24/nfl-tebow-merrill-hoge/1789529/

Here's a couple of articles.

From what I gather early in the week Tebow basically said he wanted to be full-time QB and not wildcat QB. I'm not sure if we'll have anyone on record come out and verify that story though, but even the apologists are saying that he was just upset he wasn't the starting QB. Well, his job isn't to be the starting QB, it's to do what is asked of him.

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
No, they're just bad

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.