Alabama RB recruit Derrick Henry now All-Time High School Rushing Champion

DocCrimson

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2010
East TN
Not really sure how OJ will be used, at least at first at 221 pounds. He has 1st round NFL potential based on measureables. With the right genes, and nutrition/weight work he could project as a 6-6 265 TE with 4.5 speed, which is Vernon Davis territory, with better height.

With that height, could be be the next Jimmy Graham?

Graham was 6-7, 245 coming out of HS and grew to 260 before the NFL draft, and 265 now.
I'm guessing OJ stays leaner than Graham. He may even end up translating as a physical WR in the NFL, but he has 1st round written all over him.

Bamalawdawg

3rd Team
Dec 28, 2011
I just hope he doesn't stay too lean and ends up being Marcus Monk 2. Monk was the "dominant" Arkansas 6-5, 220 pound WR from around 2003-2007 who was good in the end zone, but really nowhere else.

BigBama

All-SEC
Oct 13, 1999
He was playing 4A ball in South Florida... competition doesn't get much tougher at the HS level
Actually Florida High School football goes up to 8A and he plays for Yulee which around jacksonville, not south Florida. His competition was ok...not great.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I thought 4A was their tops...shows what I know.

As in most areas, high schools compete in sports in two types of division. One, because of logistical and geographical constraints, is necessarily local. That is, large schools play small ones in the same area. There are sixteen geographical districts to reduce travel time and expense for conference play.
A second division is based on school population and is statewide. Eventually, schools with the best records in this type of division will meet each other for seasonal playoffs to determine the state champion. There are eight classes, numbered from 1 to 7, based on population, with the largest schools in 7A for football only.[4] There is a 1A rural and a 1B urban, completing the total of eight classifications.[5]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_High_School_Athletic_Association

BigBama

All-SEC
Oct 13, 1999
http://www.fhsaa.org/sports/football

If you go to the site you can look at all the playoff brackets going up to 8A. I'm in no way knocking Henry as I think he will be great RB, I'm just saying that in Florida there is better competition. That is why many people aren't too worried about Henry getting 40 carries a game because the defenses weren't that stout. If he had been getting 40 carries a game versus 7a or 8a competition then I could see people being worried about his body being worn thin. I suspect he will take over second string duties by mid season.

Bamalawdawg

3rd Team
Dec 28, 2011
Of his astounding 462 rushes, 55 of them ended with him celebrating in the end zone. He ran out of bounds a lot too. For a 243 pound guy he was less of a bruiser than a cruiser, in that he used his speed out wide and took a lot of indirect hits. He'll never see 250 carries per season at Bama.

What makes him so tough is that like a kickoff returner, once he gets going his momentum takes him forward and no one tries to "light him up" because is bigger than ANYONE at the HS level play in the back 7. Stop him for a loss, or give up 6-12.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.