Alabama RB recruit Derrick Henry now All-Time High School Rushing Champion

KanBama

All-American
Nov 22, 2002
Wichita, Kansas, United States
HIGH SCHOOL'S ALL-TIME RUSHING CHAMPION

Alabama has had quite the stable of star running backs over the past five years. Mark Ingram won the Heisman. Trent Richardson led the Tide to a national title. T.J. Yeldon emerged as an instant-impact star in his first season in Tuscaloosa. Yet none of them was as prodigious in high school as Derrick Henry, Alabama's next high-profile running back recruit. Henry, a 6-foot-3, 238-pound wrecking ball from Yulee, Fla., rushed for 12,124 career yards to smash Ken Hall's 59-year-old national record (11,232). In his senior season Henry rushed for a state-record 4,260 yards, breaking Travis Henry's mark, and he scored 55 touchdowns.

Read More:

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA
HIGH SCHOOL'S ALL-TIME RUSHING CHAMPION

Alabama has had quite the stable of star running backs over the past five years. Mark Ingram won the Heisman. Trent Richardson led the Tide to a national title. T.J. Yeldon emerged as an instant-impact star in his first season in Tuscaloosa. Yet none of them was as prodigious in high school as Derrick Henry, Alabama's next high-profile running back recruit. Henry, a 6-foot-3, 238-pound wrecking ball from Yulee, Fla., rushed for 12,124 career yards to smash Ken Hall's 59-year-old national record (11,232). In his senior season Henry rushed for a state-record 4,260 yards, breaking Travis Henry's mark, and he scored 55 touchdowns.

Read More:
And was i dreaming, or did i hear that we're bringing the kid in to play LB or something like that? I'm sure Nick will put him in the best position for him to be successful in the NFL - as he does so well.

KrimsonNinja

All-SEC
Apr 22, 2009
Florida
He's putting up video game numbers. Incredible. Alabama just keeps bringing in phenomenal RB's every year and I feel a little spoiled at this point. :biggrin2:

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Most seem to think he's playing LB when he comes to campus, but this kid is one mean fast big kid! He's gonna tote the rock!

M2J

All-American
Jan 28, 2007
And was i dreaming, or did i hear that we're bringing the kid in to play LB or something like that? I'm sure Nick will put him in the best position for him to be successful in the NFL - as he does so well.
I think he'd be a perfect fit for the new role that it seemed Jalston Fowler was/is playing. FB/HB/RB all rolled up in one. That hybrid position could become so dangerous, and I think the coaches would like to make it a staple in the offense. I just wish we could've seen it vs some more of the tougher competiition (It sure was impressive vs Michigan). If so, he'd fit that role perfectly.

TidefaninOS

All-SEC
Feb 14, 2009
Ocean Springs, MS
I've heard & read about the "Henry = LB' talk, but I just don't see it. He apparently has the skills to play RB, and I hope he'll get his chance to strut his stuff. I think he'll be a good one.

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville
I know Henry wasn't playing against great competition. Who knows how he'll compare with our other running backs. I would bet, at minimum, he'll be a H-back. He might bring a new dimension to the H-back we haven't seen before. He is as big as Fowler with better ball skills and athletic ability. I almost see a Kevin Turner type player.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I know Henry wasn't playing against great competition. Who knows how he'll compare with our other running backs. I would bet, at minimum, he'll be a H-back. He might bring a new dimension to the H-back we haven't seen before. He is as big as Fowler with better ball skills and athletic ability. I almost see a Kevin Turner type player.
I see a Mark Ingram, Trent, Eddie kind of player. I guess the H-back, FB, LB, TE talk will continue until he breaks off a 70 yard run in his freshman year but it probably won't stop then :rolleyes:

BamasRollin

Scout Team
Sep 8, 2010

He was playing 4A ball in South Florida... competition doesn't get much tougher at the HS level

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
I do not think we would use him anywhere else but Running Back, and I dont think we recruited him for anywhere but running back.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
I do not think we would use him anywhere else but Running Back, and I dont think we recruited him for anywhere but running back.

This guy has bigger, stronger, faster Dick Butkus written all over him. I can't wait for him to bump CJ off the starting lineup when he steps on campus.

:cool2:

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
As great as Bamaclass looks to be, there are two players I am very interested in seeing play next year: OJ Howard and Derrick Henry. It makes me think that Howard/Henry could be the 2013 season version of Cooper/Yeldon, as freshmen breakout players.

Bamalawdawg

3rd Team
Dec 28, 2011
Not really sure how OJ will be used, at least at first at 221 pounds. He has 1st round NFL potential based on measureables. With the right genes, and nutrition/weight work he could project as a 6-6 265 TE with 4.5 speed, which is Vernon Davis territory, with better height.

With that height, could be be the next Jimmy Graham?

Graham was 6-7, 245 coming out of HS and grew to 260 before the NFL draft, and 265 now.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.