Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BamaNation All-American BamaHoosier's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Is Alabama currently a dynasty?

Interesting article by Ivan Masell of ESPN. His point is that for Alabama to be considered a modern day dynasty we need to win one more championship. What do you think? Do you agree with him, or do you think we are in a dynasty no matter the outcome of January 7th? Personally, I feel like another championship would only be the icing on the cake. With all of the high profile recruits Saban is bringing in, the 10 win seasons, and winning 2 championships out of 3, I feel like we are already a dynasty. Here's the link, and I look forward to seeing your thoughts as well.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...llege-football

(I hadn't seen this article posted here yet, so I thought I would bring it up. Please delete if it's already been discussed.)

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    Inspired on TideFans.com

Re: Is Alabama currently a dynasty?

Well, it's all subjective.

To me, it would take winning this one. That would make it 3 out of 4, and two in the row. First time that has happened since Nebraska (1994, 1995, 1997).

Do you think of Florida under Meyer as a dynasty (2006, 2008)? I don't. If they would have won it in 2009 I would.

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

We would need this one in my opinion. We are oh so close though!!

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

IMHO, we need to win this one. And THEN to put the icing on the cake, win number 16 next year.
    "Bryant can take his'n and beat your'n, and then he can turn around and take your'n and beat his'n." -- Houston Oiler head coach Bum Phillips, a former player under Coach Bryant

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I think we're closer to a dynasty than any other exceptional run by a team in the BCS era. There was a 3 year gap between LSU titles, USC won the AP then BCS in 03-04 but they only played in the title game twice with one loss between 03-05, and Florida is the closest of the bunch in my opinion.

Truly, to be a dynasty you have to win consecutive championships or win so many over a time period the dominance is not questioned. That is why have to think the 06-09 Florida and 08-present Alabama fall short. Two titles in three years is almost there but 3 in 4 or 5 years is unquestionably dominant.

BamaNation All-American ALA2262's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ccc2259 View Post
    IMHO, we need to win this one. And THEN to put the icing on the cake, win number 16 next year.
    That will take one heck of a team. If there are two other unbeaten major teams at the end of next season, Bama would have to be undefeated and unscored on to go to the NCG. The pollsters will not allow Bama to win 3 straight.

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by ALA2262 View Post
    That will take one heck of a team. If there are two other unbeaten major teams at the end of next season, Bama would have to be undefeated and unscored on to go to the NCG. The pollsters will not allow Bama to win 3 straight.
    Echoes of 1966 eh??!

BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

not currently. but if we win 3/4 yes. because you know we will continue to compete for another every year

I suppose we do need to win either the 2012 BCSNC game or the 2013 BCSNC game, or both, in order for the rest of the college football world to recognize us as a current-day dynasty similar to Oklahoma of the 50's or Nebraska of the 90's ; however, to me, there is an even bigger prize at stake in the 1/7/13 game and that is the opportunity to put an official stamp on Alabama being the greatest football program of all time.

BamaNation First Team WalkaboutSean's Avatar

I would have to say YES - and if we win on January 7 it's not even arguable.

If you look at Saban's run starting in '08, the program has been dominant to a degree many thought impossible in the modern era. We're now going for 3 out of the last 4 titles, and it's almost 4 out of 5. (The '08 team was one quarter away from playing in the BCS Championship -- anyone really think Saban would've lost to Oklahoma with a month to gameplan?)

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by TideEngineer08 View Post
    Well, it's all subjective.

To me, it would take winning this one. That would make it 3 out of 4, and two in the row. First time that has happened since Nebraska (1994, 1995, 1997).

Do you think of Florida under Meyer as a dynasty (2006, 2008)? I don't. If they would have won it in 2009 I would.
    To join what the College Football Hall of Fame recognizes as 12 Dynasties I think we need to win on 7 January 2013.
    see list of Dynasties at this link http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-footb...011000aab.html

BamaNation All-American

Well Alabama is going to "do nasty" things to Notre Dame on the 7th.

Quote Originally Posted by CullmanTide View Post
    Well Alabama is going to "do nasty" things to Notre Dame on the 7th.

I'm not sure how to take this
    15 and counting