Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Big A January 7, 2013: A Time For Redemption

Chances are if you don't remember the names of Tom Clements, Eric Penick, Wayne Bullock, and Robin Weber you're not old enough to recall the epic 1973 Sugar Bowl clash between Alabama and Notre Dame. For myself and others my age the names are ones we shall never forget. I have waited a long 32 years for these two giants to face each other again. And, to be honest, I thought it would never happen. But here we are. The importance of this matchup for middle aged Alabama fans cannot be measured in words. A Tide victory would not salve the wounds from 1973, but it sure would be cathartic.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

January 7, 2013: A Time For Redemption

What actually happened? Was it that bad?!
    ROLL TIDE!

Re: January 7, 2013: A Time For Redemption

Quote Originally Posted by Minedweller View Post
    Chances are if you don't remember the names of Tom Clements, Eric Penick, Wayne Bullock, and Robin Weber you're not old enough to recall the epic 1973 Sugar Bowl clash between Alabama and Notre Dame. For myself and others my age the names are ones we shall never forget. I have waited a long 32 years these two giants to face each other again. And, to be honest, I thought it would never happen. But here we are. The importance of this matchup for middle aged Alabama fans cannot be measured in words. A Tide victory would not salve the wounds from 1973, but it sure would be cathartic.
    You are referencing a game that occurred 40 years ago. Some of the current player's parents may not have even been born.

Quote Originally Posted by mswiggins123 View Post
    You are referencing a game that occurred 40 years ago. Some of the current player's parents may not have even been born.
    I realized afterwards I mistyped the years that elapsed. I'm looking forward to this moreso than any other. Or any subsequent games henceforth!

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar
    My Mood
    Depressed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Minedweller View Post
    Chances are if you don't remember the names of Tom Clements, Eric Penick, Wayne Bullock, and Robin Weber you're not old enough to recall the epic 1973 Sugar Bowl clash between Alabama and Notre Dame. For myself and others my age the names are ones we shall never forget. I have waited a long 32 years for these two giants to face each other again. And, to be honest, I thought it would never happen. But here we are. The importance of this matchup for middle aged Alabama fans cannot be measured in words. A Tide victory would not salve the wounds from 1973, but it sure would be cathartic.
    You may have waited 32 years but a lot of us saw The Sack in 1986. Plus we played at South Bend in 1987.
    I'll always look back as I walk away
    This memory will last for eternity
    And all of our tears will be lost in the rain
    Til I find my way back to your arms again
    But until that day you know you are
    The queen of my heart

BamaNation All-SEC

Yeah, I was in the student section for the sack and it helped, but the OP is right. That wound is not completely healed. December 7 could be the redemption I've waited for, and that game was just the last in series of ND related bad memories.
    Roll Tide

BamaNation First Team AgentAntiOrange's Avatar
    My Mood
    Suspicious on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by JBama_in_PCOLA View Post
    What actually happened? Was it that bad?!
    http://espn.go.com/abcsports/bcs/sugar/s/1973.html
    Be Good Or Be Gone

I just put them on the coffee table for recruits to look at
    -Coach Saban when asked if he wears his championship rings.

'Im sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football.
    -Andy Stiles, Sports Illustrated, after the 42-14 beat down of ND

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by uaintn View Post
    Yeah, I was in the student section for the sack and it helped, but the OP is right. That wound is not completely healed. December 7 could be the redemption I've waited for, and that game was just the last in series of ND related bad memories.
    What's going to happen on December 7th?
    If God wanted me to be humble, he would have sent me to Auburn.

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    You may have waited 32 years but a lot of us saw The Sack in 1986. Plus we played at South Bend in 1987.
    Those 1980s games do not compare to the 1973 battle, for a myriad of reasons

BamaNation All-American CrimsonForce's Avatar
    My Mood
    Cool on TideFans.com

I'm gotta be honest I don't really relate to all the hate for Notre Dame. Granted I was born in '88, so they have pretty much been irrelevant my whole football watching life. I can understand the disdain that some have for them that lived through and witnessed these types of games and the shenanigans that went on, but it just doesn't strike a chord with me.

BamaNation Hall of Fame JPT4Bama's Avatar

I watched the game (1973) that New Years Eve and honestly the thought of redemption has never entered my mind.

I'm just looking forward to this game. Nothing more.
    Ask me about my vow of silence.

I am still mad about 1966!

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post

Those were regular season games. 31 Dec 73 and 1 Jan 75 were games for the National Title. This is about National Title redemption, a little different than a regular season game.