Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BamaNation First Team aerospace_ray's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: January 7, 2013: A Time For Redemption

I remember watching a rerun of this game. I remember hearing ND fans at one of my previous employers talk about how ND owned UA/Coach Bryant. Yeah, I despise the Irish and want to beat them in this game. This is a national championship and its ND. Its big, IMO bigger than beating a common foe from your conference, bigger than any other team in the country. Historical significance for our program. We need to win this one. ROLL TIDE
    User formerly known as "13 4 BAMA soon"

"they didn't stumble in to it, they didn't back in to it, they just whipped Miami 34-13" (Keith Jackson circa 1992-3 National Championship, ABC Sports)

2. Advertisement
    Post Thanks / Like

I had just turned 16 earlier in the month. I had taken and passed my drivers test and thought I a "Man. I had wheels and great stereo. A 68 Chevelle SS 396.

My grandfather was the man who taught me to drive, and he was very proud of "being the one that taught me". We were close and listen to John Forney on Saturday or watch the games on tv.

I remember December 31, 1973 as a cold winter day. I had planned on watching the game with my grandfather that afternoon. We received a call from the police. My mother told me he had been riding his bike, as he did every day. Someone found he and his bike in the yard of a neighbor. He had a massive MI and passed away that day around 10 am. They doc said he didnt suffer. I love that, how was he to know.

I watched the game with my dad and younger brothers. I will still numb from the events of the day but the game at least gave me something to think about other I had lost my best friend.

Well you know the rest of story of the game.

Back in the 70's for you younger fans. 3 tv channels, no internet, no cell phones. We lived for the Bear Bryant show on Sundays. Football was probably more important to the fans back then , we were younger and immortal and besides fast cars and girls what else was there but Bama football.

At 16 your thoughts and feeling are very easy to influence. Well to this day I hate I lost my grandfather but, I am at a point where I just despise ND and just for this magical season. I hope we win and it sends them into the abyss of the Florida's to hit bottom again.

Roll Tide.....
    Little did I know going thru the pics on my phone that 6 months ago I had taken a photo his grave site. I had taken pics of grandfathers foot store with his name and birth and death date. December 31, 1973.

So I hope its a good Omen. I trust he and Coach Bryant are watching from up above.
    Last edited by bama2112; December 24th, 2012 at 11:05 PM.

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aerospace_ray View Post
    I remember watching a rerun of this game. I remember hearing ND fans at one of my previous employers talk about how ND owned UA/Coach Bryant. Yeah, I despise the Irish and want to beat them in this game. This is a national championship and its ND. Its big, IMO bigger than beating a common foe from your conference, bigger than any other team in the country. Historical significance for our program. We need to win this one. ROLL TIDE
    Amen

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by TrueGritnPluck View Post
    Those 1980s games do not compare to the 1973 battle, for a myriad of reasons
    32 years ago was 1980, when ND beat us in the regular season. I'd be very interested in seeing how anyone can mix up 32 and 40 on a typo. Color me skeptical, but I suspect the OP does not come from a Tide fan.

I'll leave it at that for now.
    :13

BamaNation Hall of Fame JPT4Bama's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bama2112 View Post
    I had just turned 16 earlier in the month. I had taken and passed my drivers test and thought I a "Man. I had wheels and great stereo. A 68 Chevelle SS 396.

My grandfather was the man who taught me to drive, and he was very proud of "being the one that taught me". We were close and listen to John Forney on Saturday or watch the games on tv.

I remember December 31, 1973 as a cold winter day. I had planned on watching the game with my grandfather that afternoon. We received a call from the police. My mother told me he had been riding his bike, as he did every day. Someone found he and his bike in the yard of a neighbor. He had a massive MI and passed away that day around 10 am. They doc said he didnt suffer. I love that, how was he to know.

I watched the game with my dad and younger brothers. I will still numb from the events of the day but the game at least gave me something to think about other I had lost my best friend.

Back in the 70's for you younger fans. 3 tv channels, no internet, no cell phones. We lived for the Bear Bryant show on Sundays. Football was probably more important to the fans back then , we were younger and immortal and besides fast cars and girls what else was there but Bama football.

At 16 your thoughts and feeling are very easy to influence. Well to this day I hate I lost my grandfather but, I am at a point where I just despise ND and just for this magical season. I hope we win and it sends them into the abyss of the Florida's to hit bottom again.

Roll Tide.....
    Little did I know going thru the pics on my phone that 6 months ago I had taken a photo his grave site. I had taken pics of grandfathers foot store with his name and birth and death date. December 31, 1973.

So I hope its a good Omen. I trust he and Coach Bryant are watching from up above.
    You're maybe a of year older than me. Two of my friends had Chevelles. One was the 1969 SS 396 and the other a 1970 Chevelle 454. Those were the days! No one cared about freaking gas milage but instead the dealer specs included the 1/4 mile time and speed.

Nice story about your Grandad.
    Ask me about my vow of silence.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bama2112 View Post

Roll Tide.....

That's a touching story. My story, which I've posted several times here, is when I was a freshman in '57-'58. That season was awful - I think the worst on record. In late January, Coach Bryant's return was announced. My dad had chronic heart disease and didn't have much time left. one of the last thing he told my mom was "Alabama's going to be all right. Coach Bryant's coming back." Then he died, on February 8, 1958. He didn't live to see it, but he was a prophet...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

Post Thanks / Like

1973 was a long time ago. Enough of the apocalyptic ramifications. Let both teams tee it up and play ball. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays, everyone.

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    HaHa on TideFans.com

January 7, 2013: A Time For Redemption

Quote Originally Posted by AgentAntiOrange View Post
    I finally read it. I see the heart break. I'm not sure how I would have taken it. To see the Tide lose to them, for the championship no less. I guess it feels like 28-27, though to me no feeling is worse than that in sports.
    ROLL TIDE!

BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tidetwin View Post
    1973 was a long time ago. Enough of the apocalyptic ramifications. Let both teams tee it up and play ball. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays, everyone.
    Some people have long memories. I hope we beat them by 50. Merry Christmas and Roll Tide.

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

I've watched Bama football all my life;had some very painful loses. To this day the 73 loss was the most painful; Bama was great; Notre Dame was exalted by the media; it was a North/South kind of thing. It isn't like that today; but I still hate the thought of losing to Notre Dame in this game.

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JBama_in_PCOLA View Post
    What actually happened? Was it that bad?!
    Notre Dame played in the Rose Bowl in 1925 but stopped going to bowls until 1970. Coach Bryant let it be known through back channels that he thought ND was ducking, especially after the way 1966 turned out and ND was ranked #1 with a tie. That built up into us making beating ND a big deal when we finally got a shot at them in 73. That game, as was the next years game, were pretty much hand picked by coach Bryant and we lost both of them.

The embarrassment after so much braggadocio between 1966 and 1973 made those losses a lot bigger for us than losses to other teams, at least for the older crowd that lived those games.

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    HaHa on TideFans.com

January 7, 2013: A Time For Redemption

Quote Originally Posted by BigBama76 View Post
    Notre Dame played in the Rose Bowl in 1925 but stopped going to bowls until 1970. Coach Bryant let it be known through back channels that he thought ND was ducking, especially after the way 1966 turned out and ND was ranked #1 with a tie. That built up into us making beating ND a big deal when we finally got a shot at them in 73. That game, as was the next years game, were pretty much hand picked by coach Bryant and we lost both of them.

The embarrassment after so much braggadocio between 1966 and 1973 made those losses a lot bigger for us than losses to other teams, at least for the older crowd that lived those games.
    Thanks! Now I get the whole picture!
    ROLL TIDE!

BamaNation Hall of Fame JPT4Bama's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Minedweller View Post
    Chances are if you don't remember the names of Tom Clements, Eric Penick, Wayne Bullock, and Robin Weber you're not old enough to recall the epic 1973 Sugar Bowl clash between Alabama and Notre Dame. For myself and others my age the names are ones we shall never forget. I have waited a long 32 years for these two giants to face each other again. And, to be honest, I thought it would never happen. But here we are. The importance of this matchup for middle aged Alabama fans cannot be measured in words. A Tide victory would not salve the wounds from 1973, but it sure would be cathartic.
    Funny how you can recall the ND players yet fail to mention any of the Tide. Funny.
    Ask me about my vow of silence.