January 7, 2013: A Time For Redemption

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
1973 was a long time ago. Enough of the apocalyptic ramifications. Let both teams tee it up and play ball. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays, everyone.
Some people have long memories. I hope we beat them by 50. Merry Christmas and Roll Tide.

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms
I've watched Bama football all my life;had some very painful loses. To this day the 73 loss was the most painful; Bama was great; Notre Dame was exalted by the media; it was a North/South kind of thing. It isn't like that today; but I still hate the thought of losing to Notre Dame in this game.

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
What actually happened? Was it that bad?!
Notre Dame played in the Rose Bowl in 1925 but stopped going to bowls until 1970. Coach Bryant let it be known through back channels that he thought ND was ducking, especially after the way 1966 turned out and ND was ranked #1 with a tie. That built up into us making beating ND a big deal when we finally got a shot at them in 73. That game, as was the next years game, were pretty much hand picked by coach Bryant and we lost both of them.

The embarrassment after so much braggadocio between 1966 and 1973 made those losses a lot bigger for us than losses to other teams, at least for the older crowd that lived those games.

Notre Dame played in the Rose Bowl in 1925 but stopped going to bowls until 1970. Coach Bryant let it be known through back channels that he thought ND was ducking, especially after the way 1966 turned out and ND was ranked #1 with a tie. That built up into us making beating ND a big deal when we finally got a shot at them in 73. That game, as was the next years game, were pretty much hand picked by coach Bryant and we lost both of them.

The embarrassment after so much braggadocio between 1966 and 1973 made those losses a lot bigger for us than losses to other teams, at least for the older crowd that lived those games.
Thanks! Now I get the whole picture!

JPT4Bama

Hall of Fame
Aug 21, 2006
Hoover, AL
Chances are if you don't remember the names of Tom Clements, Eric Penick, Wayne Bullock, and Robin Weber you're not old enough to recall the epic 1973 Sugar Bowl clash between Alabama and Notre Dame. For myself and others my age the names are ones we shall never forget. I have waited a long 32 years for these two giants to face each other again. And, to be honest, I thought it would never happen. But here we are. The importance of this matchup for middle aged Alabama fans cannot be measured in words. A Tide victory would not salve the wounds from 1973, but it sure would be cathartic.
Funny how you can recall the ND players yet fail to mention any of the Tide. Funny.

Perrett4Bama

All-American
Aug 28, 2001
Panama City, Florida
I'm gotta be honest I don't really relate to all the hate for Notre Dame. Granted I was born in '88, so they have pretty much been irrelevant my whole football watching life. I can understand the disdain that some have for them that lived through and witnessed these types of games and the shenanigans that went on, but it just doesn't strike a chord with me.
I watched the game (1973) that New Years Eve and honestly the thought of redemption has never entered my mind.

I'm just looking forward to this game. Nothing more.
Wow......I was born in 1968 and can tell you every detail of 1966, 1973 and 1975. My grand dad and daddy brainwashed me....;) to dislike Notre dame. I want to beat them sooooooo bad.......its in my blood. I love Alabama Football........:)

dirtroadlizard

All-SEC
Nov 3, 2011
Bunker Creek , FL
Yes , it's time for redemption ! I've been a Bama fan for over 50 years . My grandpa and dad both disliked Notre Dame . To me , this is the most important Bama game of my lifetime . I can see why some of the younger posters don't get it . rtr...

I guess I dislike ND for different reasons. I really don't have games to go by. I still have see Granny try to force it down our throats year after year. They think their football lore is the greatest thing since the founding of the sport. They don't want conference play and I understand they play a tough schedule then most. I still feel they are the reason behind all this realignment by not joining the B1G.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I guess I dislike ND for different reasons. I really don't have games to go by. I still have see Granny try to force it down our throats year after year. They think their football lore is the greatest thing since the founding of the sport. They don't want conference play and I understand they play a tough schedule then most. I still feel they are the reason behind all this realignment by not joining the B1G.
yes such juggarnauts as Boston College, Army, Navy, Purdue and other crappy B1G 10 teams, U$C and sometimes 2 or 3 decent teams that were supposed to be better.
now they will play the always tough ACC:rolleyes:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.