January 7, 2013: A Time For Redemption

Minedweller

Dec 16, 2012
Chances are if you don't remember the names of Tom Clements, Eric Penick, Wayne Bullock, and Robin Weber you're not old enough to recall the epic 1973 Sugar Bowl clash between Alabama and Notre Dame. For myself and others my age the names are ones we shall never forget. I have waited a long 32 years for these two giants to face each other again. And, to be honest, I thought it would never happen. But here we are. The importance of this matchup for middle aged Alabama fans cannot be measured in words. A Tide victory would not salve the wounds from 1973, but it sure would be cathartic.

mswiggins123

Oct 7, 2012
Chances are if you don't remember the names of Tom Clements, Eric Penick, Wayne Bullock, and Robin Weber you're not old enough to recall the epic 1973 Sugar Bowl clash between Alabama and Notre Dame. For myself and others my age the names are ones we shall never forget. I have waited a long 32 years these two giants to face each other again. And, to be honest, I thought it would never happen. But here we are. The importance of this matchup for middle aged Alabama fans cannot be measured in words. A Tide victory would not salve the wounds from 1973, but it sure would be cathartic.
You are referencing a game that occurred 40 years ago. Some of the current player's parents may not have even been born.

Minedweller

Dec 16, 2012
You are referencing a game that occurred 40 years ago. Some of the current player's parents may not have even been born.
I realized afterwards I mistyped the years that elapsed. I'm looking forward to this moreso than any other. Or any subsequent games henceforth!

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Chances are if you don't remember the names of Tom Clements, Eric Penick, Wayne Bullock, and Robin Weber you're not old enough to recall the epic 1973 Sugar Bowl clash between Alabama and Notre Dame. For myself and others my age the names are ones we shall never forget. I have waited a long 32 years for these two giants to face each other again. And, to be honest, I thought it would never happen. But here we are. The importance of this matchup for middle aged Alabama fans cannot be measured in words. A Tide victory would not salve the wounds from 1973, but it sure would be cathartic.
You may have waited 32 years but a lot of us saw The Sack in 1986. Plus we played at South Bend in 1987.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
Yeah, I was in the student section for the sack and it helped, but the OP is right. That wound is not completely healed. December 7 could be the redemption I've waited for, and that game was just the last in series of ND related bad memories.

J4Bama

All-American
Mar 24, 2002
Sarasota, Florida
Yeah, I was in the student section for the sack and it helped, but the OP is right. That wound is not completely healed. December 7 could be the redemption I've waited for, and that game was just the last in series of ND related bad memories.
What's going to happen on December 7th? :)

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I'm gotta be honest I don't really relate to all the hate for Notre Dame. Granted I was born in '88, so they have pretty much been irrelevant my whole football watching life. I can understand the disdain that some have for them that lived through and witnessed these types of games and the shenanigans that went on, but it just doesn't strike a chord with me.

JPT4Bama

Hall of Fame
Aug 21, 2006
Hoover, AL
I watched the game (1973) that New Years Eve and honestly the thought of redemption has never entered my mind.

I'm just looking forward to this game. Nothing more.

aerospace_ray

All-American
Oct 5, 2009
Alabama
I remember watching a rerun of this game. I remember hearing ND fans at one of my previous employers talk about how ND owned UA/Coach Bryant. Yeah, I despise the Irish and want to beat them in this game. This is a national championship and its ND. Its big, IMO bigger than beating a common foe from your conference, bigger than any other team in the country. Historical significance for our program. We need to win this one. ROLL TIDE

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
I had just turned 16 earlier in the month. I had taken and passed my drivers test and thought I a "Man. I had wheels and great stereo. A 68 Chevelle SS 396.

My grandfather was the man who taught me to drive, and he was very proud of "being the one that taught me". We were close and listen to John Forney on Saturday or watch the games on tv.

I remember December 31, 1973 as a cold winter day. I had planned on watching the game with my grandfather that afternoon. We received a call from the police. My mother told me he had been riding his bike, as he did every day. Someone found he and his bike in the yard of a neighbor. He had a massive MI and passed away that day around 10 am. They doc said he didnt suffer. I love that, how was he to know.

I watched the game with my dad and younger brothers. I will still numb from the events of the day but the game at least gave me something to think about other I had lost my best friend.

Well you know the rest of story of the game.

Back in the 70's for you younger fans. 3 tv channels, no internet, no cell phones. We lived for the Bear Bryant show on Sundays. Football was probably more important to the fans back then , we were younger and immortal and besides fast cars and girls what else was there but Bama football.

At 16 your thoughts and feeling are very easy to influence. Well to this day I hate I lost my grandfather but, I am at a point where I just despise ND and just for this magical season. I hope we win and it sends them into the abyss of the Florida's to hit bottom again.

Roll Tide.....
Little did I know going thru the pics on my phone that 6 months ago I had taken a photo his grave site. I had taken pics of grandfathers foot store with his name and birth and death date. December 31, 1973.

So I hope its a good Omen. I trust he and Coach Bryant are watching from up above.

Last edited:

Bama1985

1st Team
Jan 18, 2006
Calhoun County
I remember watching a rerun of this game. I remember hearing ND fans at one of my previous employers talk about how ND owned UA/Coach Bryant. Yeah, I despise the Irish and want to beat them in this game. This is a national championship and its ND. Its big, IMO bigger than beating a common foe from your conference, bigger than any other team in the country. Historical significance for our program. We need to win this one. ROLL TIDE
Amen

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Those 1980s games do not compare to the 1973 battle, for a myriad of reasons
32 years ago was 1980, when ND beat us in the regular season. I'd be very interested in seeing how anyone can mix up 32 and 40 on a typo. Color me skeptical, but I suspect the OP does not come from a Tide fan.

I'll leave it at that for now.

JPT4Bama

Hall of Fame
Aug 21, 2006
Hoover, AL
I had just turned 16 earlier in the month. I had taken and passed my drivers test and thought I a "Man. I had wheels and great stereo. A 68 Chevelle SS 396.

My grandfather was the man who taught me to drive, and he was very proud of "being the one that taught me". We were close and listen to John Forney on Saturday or watch the games on tv.

I remember December 31, 1973 as a cold winter day. I had planned on watching the game with my grandfather that afternoon. We received a call from the police. My mother told me he had been riding his bike, as he did every day. Someone found he and his bike in the yard of a neighbor. He had a massive MI and passed away that day around 10 am. They doc said he didnt suffer. I love that, how was he to know.

I watched the game with my dad and younger brothers. I will still numb from the events of the day but the game at least gave me something to think about other I had lost my best friend.

Back in the 70's for you younger fans. 3 tv channels, no internet, no cell phones. We lived for the Bear Bryant show on Sundays. Football was probably more important to the fans back then , we were younger and immortal and besides fast cars and girls what else was there but Bama football.

At 16 your thoughts and feeling are very easy to influence. Well to this day I hate I lost my grandfather but, I am at a point where I just despise ND and just for this magical season. I hope we win and it sends them into the abyss of the Florida's to hit bottom again.

Roll Tide.....
Little did I know going thru the pics on my phone that 6 months ago I had taken a photo his grave site. I had taken pics of grandfathers foot store with his name and birth and death date. December 31, 1973.

So I hope its a good Omen. I trust he and Coach Bryant are watching from up above.
You're maybe a of year older than me. Two of my friends had Chevelles. One was the 1969 SS 396 and the other a 1970 Chevelle 454. Those were the days! No one cared about freaking gas milage but instead the dealer specs included the 1/4 mile time and speed. :cool2:

Nice story about your Grandad. :BigA:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Roll Tide.....

That's a touching story. My story, which I've posted several times here, is when I was a freshman in '57-'58. That season was awful - I think the worst on record. In late January, Coach Bryant's return was announced. My dad had chronic heart disease and didn't have much time left. one of the last thing he told my mom was "Alabama's going to be all right. Coach Bryant's coming back." Then he died, on February 8, 1958. He didn't live to see it, but he was a prophet...

Tidetwin

All-American
May 15, 2006
Northeast Georgia
1973 was a long time ago. Enough of the apocalyptic ramifications. Let both teams tee it up and play ball. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays, everyone.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.