Question: Saban: We're not running away from Teo

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I like using Vogler and Williams on the strong side and running off tackle (preferably on flukers side). I think that could be a successful formation to run out of against anybody.
Yah, I don't think anyone can stop the right side of the line late in the game. They get pretty devastating as the game wears on - especially when Warmack pulls...

bamabryan

Hall of Fame
Jan 1, 2006
Alabaster, AL.
Yah, I don't think anyone can stop the right side of the line late in the game. They get pretty devastating as the game wears on - especially when Warmack pulls...
This is why I think it's important that we pound the ball. The yards may not be there early in the game, but when we pound the ball it just takes a toll on the defense as the game wears on especially in the fourth quarter.

ND1976

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 4, 2012
Alabama is likely to run at T'eo / run misdirection after faking running at T'eo to make him stay at home.

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
I don't care if they play in the SEC. You could have looked up their SOS, however, according to Sagarin (34, 54, 36, respectively for Mizzou, Tennessee, Miss. St.), or countered with an actual fact-based argument and I may have conceded my point a little.
Ok you got your SOS according to Sagarin rankings for your argument and I have mine at TEAM RANKINGS. (College FB Team Strength of Schedule Power Rating) http://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/ranking/strength-of-schedule-by-team

Look it up, Mizzou #7, Tennessee #37, Miss. St. #24, LSU #5, Texas A&M #1 AND Bama is #2 while Notre Dame is #29!

Your tough ND's 5 game stretch - Navy #87, Purdue #68, MSU #25, Michigan #20 and Miami FL. #61!

WHOA! Michigan is the highest ranked team in your 5 game juggernaut! Do you want to go there? ;)

You need more facts I will be glad to oblige! Notre Dame is basically a Big 10 type team smack dab in Big 10 country and have been for many years. What conference have they played against the most? What has been the outcome the past several years when the Big 10's best has gone up against the SEC's best?

Notre Dame's BCS history - Most BCS appearances without a win, 3 - Lowest BCS point difference, minus 73!

Facts is Facts! ;)

Oh, and if you throw out Navy, as in your tough 5 game stretch and put Stanford in their place, Stanford's SOS by my source is #21 still behind Michigan. I suppose Michigan playing Bama upped their SOS. ;) Oklahoma has the highest SOS on ND's schedule from my source at #10. USC's is #19.

Last edited:

ND Philosopher

Dec 27, 2012
Let's try to wrench this one away from the unknowables (I'm no Rumsfeld fan, but that particular quote made a lot of sense, despite the ridicule it received). Let's try to get back to the original technical topic. Saban was saying that we would run at T'eo for the most obvious of reasons - to cut down his angles of pursuit. Anyone still want to talk about that? If not, we'll just close the thread..
Can you please point me to where Saban made these comments? Thanks.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Can you please point me to where Saban made these comments? Thanks.
No and I'm not interested at all in making the effort. Supposedly it was something inferred from an interview on ESPN. However, as I have said, several times above, it makes all kinds of sense...

Last edited:

ND Philosopher

Dec 27, 2012
No and I'm not interested at all in making the effort. Supposedly it was something inferred from an interview on ESPN. However, as I have said, several times above, it makes all kinds of sense...
Okay thanks. This thread has gotten so long. I tried to find your earlier comments, but failed.

In one way of thinking about this, of course Alabama will run right at Te'o. Te'o's job is to get in front of where the run is going and he has great speed and instincts to do just that. Any interior run is likely to end up being "right at Te'o". It certainly wouldn't make sense to run away from him. What Alabama will want to do,of course, is to get a blocker on him. And he's not unblockable. But he's also not he only guy Alabama will have to deal with.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Oregon playing the game of "not blocking Nick Fairley" by schematic decision ended up costing the national championship against Auburn.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Okay thanks. This thread has gotten so long. I tried to find your earlier comments, but failed.

In one way of thinking about this, of course Alabama will run right at Te'o. Te'o's job is to get in front of where the run is going and he has great speed and instincts to do just that. Any interior run is likely to end up being "right at Te'o". It certainly wouldn't make sense to run away from him. What Alabama will want to do,of course, is to get a blocker on him. And he's not unblockable. But he's also not he only guy Alabama will have to deal with.
Correct. If we have to resort to doubles, then it's hard to get a guy free to get to the next level, so Nix really comes first. I'll be surprised if we break long ones in the first half, although it's possible. If we go with the run first to set up the past, it'll be a grind in the first half. The question will be whether ND's DL/LBs can stand up to the pounding in the second half. We won't know until the game is played.

athlete37

Scout Team
Dec 13, 2012
Correct. If we have to resort to doubles, then it's hard to get a guy free to get to the next level, so Nix really comes first. I'll be surprised if we break long ones in the first half, although it's possible. If we go with the run first to set up the past, it'll be a grind in the first half. The question will be whether ND's DL/LBs can stand up to the pounding in the second half. We won't know until the game is played.
To add a little insight on our LB's: outside of Te'o, most of our linebackers are better in either passing or rushing situations and somewhat flawed in the other. Shembo is a fine pass rusher, Fox and Calabrese split time a lot depending on the situations, and Danny Spond has proven great in coverage. While they've all improved on their weaknesses during the year, I think SC was able to show that it's possible to run on us if we have pass personnel in. If I were Alabama, I would consider running a lot on 3rd and 4-6 type situations. I would actually argue that, outside of Te'o, our LBing unit can be the weakness of the defense in different scenarios.

I think you'll be very surprised by our secondary-- Scouts are taking looks at Jackson if he comes out early, Russell was a first team Freshmen All-American despite not playing defense the previous two years, Motta has been on some media's third team AA, and Farley has made a ton of plays this season.

Lacy and Yeldon running at our other linebackers is very concerning to me. They seemed to get around the edge very well in the Georgia game and that is where Ray Graham of Pitt hurt us. They seem to have made everyone forget about Trent Richardson pretty quickly, and that's saying something.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I'm kinda worried with how we matchup with Riddick as a receiver out of the backfield. LSU exploited Johnson and DePriest a bit with their tailbacks.

FriendlyIrish

3rd Team
Nov 22, 2012
I'm kinda worried with how we matchup with Riddick as a receiver out of the backfield. LSU exploited Johnson and DePriest a bit with their tailbacks.
This is a concern that I haven't seen many discuss. TBH, Riddick didn't come alive as a hybrid RB/WR until the last few games. Riddick was converted to a WR and played pretty well his ND career. This year, he moved to the RB position and has played tremendously. Against U$C, he really came alive and actually is coming in to his own. Knowing that Cierre Wood & Atkinson can get good yards as well at RB, it has helped Riddick evolve back into his WR mentality and allow us to stretch our O.

Have any other type of players like this caused problems for Johnson and Depriest this year?

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.