Question: Saban: We're not running away from Teo

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Johnson and DePriest are the base defense ILBs for us. They're no Mosley in coverage and LSU did a good job of isolating their backs on the ILBs. I'm not super concerned about Riddick when they split him out on occasion but the quick hitter routes out of the backfield could be effective in base personnel offense (when we won't have Mosley out there).

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
To add a little insight on our LB's: outside of Te'o, most of our linebackers are better in either passing or rushing situations and somewhat flawed in the other. Shembo is a fine pass rusher, Fox and Calabrese split time a lot depending on the situations, and Danny Spond has proven great in coverage. While they've all improved on their weaknesses during the year, I think SC was able to show that it's possible to run on us if we have pass personnel in. If I were Alabama, I would consider running a lot on 3rd and 4-6 type situations. I would actually argue that, outside of Te'o, our LBing unit can be the weakness of the defense in different scenarios.

I think you'll be very surprised by our secondary-- Scouts are taking looks at Jackson if he comes out early, Russell was a first team Freshmen All-American despite not playing defense the previous two years, Motta has been on some media's third team AA, and Farley has made a ton of plays this season.

Lacy and Yeldon running at our other linebackers is very concerning to me. They seemed to get around the edge very well in the Georgia game and that is where Ray Graham of Pitt hurt us. They seem to have made everyone forget about Trent Richardson pretty quickly, and that's saying something.
Most of the bouncing outside was done by Yeldon, who has a half step on Lacy and it happened when UGA had managed to clog the middle and close the hole. His acceleration causes a lot of OLBs and DBs to take bad initial angles on him...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
This is a concern that I haven't seen many discuss. TBH, Riddick didn't come alive as a hybrid RB/WR until the last few games. Riddick was converted to a WR and played pretty well his ND career. This year, he moved to the RB position and has played tremendously. Against U$C, he really came alive and actually is coming in to his own. Knowing that Cierre Wood & Atkinson can get good yards as well at RB, it has helped Riddick evolve back into his WR mentality and allow us to stretch our O.

Have any other type of players like this caused problems for Johnson and Depriest this year?
Not really with any consistency. This really blends over into the thread on the HUNH. I expect CBK to try this sort of play in HUNH with Mosley off the field...

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I wonder if Mosley in base might be an adjustment for this game because they throw to Riddick so often? He's been our best rush guy at ILB and he's the best cover guy too. I think he will see the field in more formations in this game. I hate to see Nico ride the pine a lot in his last game but unless Mosley gets ate up on interior runs...I think he needs to be on the field in almost every situation but goal-line and short yardage.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I wonder if Mosley in base might be an adjustment for this game because they throw to Riddick so often? He's been our best rush guy at ILB and he's the best cover guy too. I think he will see the field in more formations in this game. I hate to see Nico ride the pine a lot in his last game but unless Mosley gets ate up on interior runs...I think he needs to be on the field in almost every situation but goal-line and short yardage.
The new formation the media saw last week indicates Nico may play more in Dime situations.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I've had some of the same thoughts - that CJ might become more a part of the base. OTOH, as Marty says, we may see more of Nico in dime. I've seen some hints of this from some guys who actually see the practices. Knowing Saban, there'll be some surprises...

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Awesome. IDK why Bama would run away from Teo in the first place. He is not the first great LB Alabama has played against this season.

HITIDE

1st Team
Jul 6, 2003
TRINITY, AL., USA
Notre Dame has played most of the year on defense with two safeties deep. If they do that we will gash them with the running game. If they bring their safeties in the box then we go over the top with AC. IMO Notre Dame has to sell out to stop the run or the pass. Whichever one they choose will leave the other open for big plays, but we still have to execute to take advantage of that.
I believe Bama will be focused and will "execute" in the NCG but we hat a chance to blow things open early in the ATM game and failed to execute when the opportunity was presented. We also missed chances lat in the contest.
Bama has played well in Bowl games, with one exception, under CNS and they will play well this year.

skrayper77

All-American
Sep 4, 2003
Notre Dame has played most of the year on defense with two safeties deep. If they do that we will gash them with the running game. If they bring their safeties in the box then we go over the top with AC. IMO Notre Dame has to sell out to stop the run or the pass. Whichever one they choose will leave the other open for big plays, but we still have to execute to take advantage of that.
Man... good call.

RollTide_12

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 27, 2012
NC/Huntsville
Teo looked very average to weak in that game. He will have major problems at the next level. He would have had problems against many of the SEC teams.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Teo looked very average to weak in that game. He will have major problems at the next level. He would have had problems against many of the SEC teams.
I wonder how far he will fall in the draft. I kinda feel sorry for him. Every time I have heard him speak he sounded like a good kid and humble person. Most of the attention he got was bestowed on him by the media, which really isn't his fault. His combine measurements and performance will be interesting. I doubt he measures well or has good strength/speed numbers.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
As I figured, without his DL being able to dominate...he's just a guy who racks up a lot of tackles.

Sure tackles are good and all but not when they're all 5+ yards from the line of scrimmage.

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
As good as their D-Line was, he may not have been blocked all season. It's gotta be pretty easy to run around and make plays when you are unblocked. Bama's O-Line was good enough to get to the second level and put a hat on him... rendered him ineffective. Also, Bama's RBs just made him miss or ran through his tackles.

Overall, that situation reminds me of Brandon Spikes in the 2009 SECCG and Tyrann Mathieu in last year's BCS Championship Game. Bama seems to have a way to neutralize the other team's best defensive player. I love it.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.