Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91213141516171819202122 LastLast

Re: Saban: We're not running away from Teo

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    No and I'm not interested at all in making the effort. Supposedly it was something inferred from an interview on ESPN. However, as I have said, several times above, it makes all kinds of sense...
    Okay thanks. This thread has gotten so long. I tried to find your earlier comments, but failed.

In one way of thinking about this, of course Alabama will run right at Te'o. Te'o's job is to get in front of where the run is going and he has great speed and instincts to do just that. Any interior run is likely to end up being "right at Te'o". It certainly wouldn't make sense to run away from him. What Alabama will want to do,of course, is to get a blocker on him. And he's not unblockable. But he's also not he only guy Alabama will have to deal with.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Oregon playing the game of "not blocking Nick Fairley" by schematic decision ended up costing the national championship against Auburn.

Quote Originally Posted by ND Philosopher View Post
    Okay thanks. This thread has gotten so long. I tried to find your earlier comments, but failed.

In one way of thinking about this, of course Alabama will run right at Te'o. Te'o's job is to get in front of where the run is going and he has great speed and instincts to do just that. Any interior run is likely to end up being "right at Te'o". It certainly wouldn't make sense to run away from him. What Alabama will want to do,of course, is to get a blocker on him. And he's not unblockable. But he's also not he only guy Alabama will have to deal with.
    Correct. If we have to resort to doubles, then it's hard to get a guy free to get to the next level, so Nix really comes first. I'll be surprised if we break long ones in the first half, although it's possible. If we go with the run first to set up the past, it'll be a grind in the first half. The question will be whether ND's DL/LBs can stand up to the pounding in the second half. We won't know until the game is played.
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

Correct. If we have to resort to doubles, then it's hard to get a guy free to get to the next level, so Nix really comes first. I'll be surprised if we break long ones in the first half, although it's possible. If we go with the run first to set up the past, it'll be a grind in the first half. The question will be whether ND's DL/LBs can stand up to the pounding in the second half. We won't know until the game is played.
    To add a little insight on our LB's: outside of Te'o, most of our linebackers are better in either passing or rushing situations and somewhat flawed in the other. Shembo is a fine pass rusher, Fox and Calabrese split time a lot depending on the situations, and Danny Spond has proven great in coverage. While they've all improved on their weaknesses during the year, I think SC was able to show that it's possible to run on us if we have pass personnel in. If I were Alabama, I would consider running a lot on 3rd and 4-6 type situations. I would actually argue that, outside of Te'o, our LBing unit can be the weakness of the defense in different scenarios.

I think you'll be very surprised by our secondary-- Scouts are taking looks at Jackson if he comes out early, Russell was a first team Freshmen All-American despite not playing defense the previous two years, Motta has been on some media's third team AA, and Farley has made a ton of plays this season.

Lacy and Yeldon running at our other linebackers is very concerning to me. They seemed to get around the edge very well in the Georgia game and that is where Ray Graham of Pitt hurt us. They seem to have made everyone forget about Trent Richardson pretty quickly, and that's saying something.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I'm kinda worried with how we matchup with Riddick as a receiver out of the backfield. LSU exploited Johnson and DePriest a bit with their tailbacks.

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    I'm kinda worried with how we matchup with Riddick as a receiver out of the backfield. LSU exploited Johnson and DePriest a bit with their tailbacks.
    This is a concern that I haven't seen many discuss. TBH, Riddick didn't come alive as a hybrid RB/WR until the last few games. Riddick was converted to a WR and played pretty well his ND career. This year, he moved to the RB position and has played tremendously. Against U$C, he really came alive and actually is coming in to his own. Knowing that Cierre Wood & Atkinson can get good yards as well at RB, it has helped Riddick evolve back into his WR mentality and allow us to stretch our O.

Have any other type of players like this caused problems for Johnson and Depriest this year?
    Last edited by FriendlyIrish; December 31st, 2012 at 01:24 AM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Johnson and DePriest are the base defense ILBs for us. They're no Mosley in coverage and LSU did a good job of isolating their backs on the ILBs. I'm not super concerned about Riddick when they split him out on occasion but the quick hitter routes out of the backfield could be effective in base personnel offense (when we won't have Mosley out there).

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Saban: We're not running away from Teo

Riddick wants no part of Mosley. Him not finishing in last year's BCS win probably is in his mind.
    ROLL TIDE!

Quote Originally Posted by athlete37 View Post
    To add a little insight on our LB's: outside of Te'o, most of our linebackers are better in either passing or rushing situations and somewhat flawed in the other. Shembo is a fine pass rusher, Fox and Calabrese split time a lot depending on the situations, and Danny Spond has proven great in coverage. While they've all improved on their weaknesses during the year, I think SC was able to show that it's possible to run on us if we have pass personnel in. If I were Alabama, I would consider running a lot on 3rd and 4-6 type situations. I would actually argue that, outside of Te'o, our LBing unit can be the weakness of the defense in different scenarios.

I think you'll be very surprised by our secondary-- Scouts are taking looks at Jackson if he comes out early, Russell was a first team Freshmen All-American despite not playing defense the previous two years, Motta has been on some media's third team AA, and Farley has made a ton of plays this season.

Lacy and Yeldon running at our other linebackers is very concerning to me. They seemed to get around the edge very well in the Georgia game and that is where Ray Graham of Pitt hurt us. They seem to have made everyone forget about Trent Richardson pretty quickly, and that's saying something.
    Most of the bouncing outside was done by Yeldon, who has a half step on Lacy and it happened when UGA had managed to clog the middle and close the hole. His acceleration causes a lot of OLBs and DBs to take bad initial angles on him...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by FriendlyIrish View Post
    This is a concern that I haven't seen many discuss. TBH, Riddick didn't come alive as a hybrid RB/WR until the last few games. Riddick was converted to a WR and played pretty well his ND career. This year, he moved to the RB position and has played tremendously. Against U$C, he really came alive and actually is coming in to his own. Knowing that Cierre Wood & Atkinson can get good yards as well at RB, it has helped Riddick evolve back into his WR mentality and allow us to stretch our O.

Have any other type of players like this caused problems for Johnson and Depriest this year?
    Not really with any consistency. This really blends over into the thread on the HUNH. I expect CBK to try this sort of play in HUNH with Mosley off the field...

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Saban: We're not running away from Teo

Not really with any consistency. This really blends over into the thread on the HUNH. I expect CBK to try this sort of play in HUNH with Mosley off the field...
    Bama will be looking for it this time.
    ROLL TIDE!

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I wonder if Mosley in base might be an adjustment for this game because they throw to Riddick so often? He's been our best rush guy at ILB and he's the best cover guy too. I think he will see the field in more formations in this game. I hate to see Nico ride the pine a lot in his last game but unless Mosley gets ate up on interior runs...I think he needs to be on the field in almost every situation but goal-line and short yardage.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    I wonder if Mosley in base might be an adjustment for this game because they throw to Riddick so often? He's been our best rush guy at ILB and he's the best cover guy too. I think he will see the field in more formations in this game. I hate to see Nico ride the pine a lot in his last game but unless Mosley gets ate up on interior runs...I think he needs to be on the field in almost every situation but goal-line and short yardage.
    The new formation the media saw last week indicates Nico may play more in Dime situations.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!