Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast
    Suspended
    My Mood
    Festive on TideFans.com

Re: Saban: We're not running away from Teo

Something to think about, Bama was only six yards away from being undefeated. ND was about 6 yards from being 6-6.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American CrimsonForce's Avatar
    My Mood
    Cool on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by BFANLC View Post
    Something to think about, Bama was only six yards away from being undefeated. ND was about 6 yards from being 6-6.
    Good point. Very true also

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Saban: We're not running away from Teo

Very nice... I didn't think about it like that.
    ROLL TIDE!

BamaNation First Team

i find it interesting how many at espn, talk about all the schemes thats going to happen. it is still going to boil down to who is tougher, and better at executing. i remember the old days when vince lombardi of green bay lore, had basically six offensive rush plays, and they dominated other teams. he stated reduce the number and pefect what is best, and use over and over till it is stopped. i laugh at how many times we have heard that some of the nose tackles were going to be so strong, big for mr. jones handle. well mr. jones has handled every one at guard, tackle and now center.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

He handled J. Jenkins pretty well on one foot!
    ROLL TIDE!

BamaNation Scout Team

Quote Originally Posted by Airborne Tider View Post
    He's not as good as Jarvis Jones and we did the same thing to him.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2
    Te'o is about 20 pounds bigger than Jarvis Jones... they are completely different players. Jarvis Jones is a much better pass rusher, and is asked to do that on a regular basis... The Notre Dame scheme is much different, as it asks Te'o to run stuff and cover in space. Notre Dame's defense is much more like an SEC defense than Georgia is. All of Notre Dame's LB's are over 250 lbs and every defensive line starter is over 300 lbs. The Notre Dame plan will be to stuff the run and to limit the big pass plays. Will they be able to do this? I'm not sure, but that is the design of the defense, and it has been pretty successful all year.

BamaNation All-American buzzincuzzin's Avatar

That's been everyone's game-plan against Alabama for the last five years.

BamaNation Second Team FriendlyIrish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by buzzincuzzin View Post
    That's been everyone's game-plan against Alabama for the last five years.
    Right, but no one has really played bend don't break. That's what we are willing to do. I easily see them bringing in another player for run D. And we will play soft on the outsides and give up flat passes to your WR's. As long as our DB's have tackled as well as they have all year (watch first half of OU), the gameplan can work. Our D-line is not aggro. Watch the first half against BC - we were trying several different types of blitzes and movement and getting over-aggressive, but getting caught on screens and misdirections. In the second half, we got back to what we do best and got a little less aggro from our LB's.

We never give up big pass plays. We didn't give up any to D-Rob, Landry Jones, or to the two best WR's in the country. I'm not worried about big pass plays in this game. It's all if we stop the run. It will by far be the toughest game plan to execute all year. The closest is Stanford, but again, Bama is the toughest.

The one thing I noticed about A&M is Bama seemed to have given up on the run. When they did run, they were getting some good yardage, but in the 2nd half it was almost non-existent. Again, I'm not worried about big pass plays or our DB's getting caught behind the ball. I'm worried about Lacy and Yeldon busting some big ones early.

BamaNation All-American colbysullivan's Avatar

Actually Bama was only 2 yards away

Quote Originally Posted by FriendlyIrish View Post
    Right, but no one has really played bend don't break. That's what we are willing to do. I easily see them bringing in another player for run D. And we will play soft on the outsides and give up flat passes to your WR's. As long as our DB's have tackled as well as they have all year (watch first half of OU), the gameplan can work. Our D-line is not aggro. Watch the first half against BC - we were trying several different types of blitzes and movement and getting over-aggressive, but getting caught on screens and misdirections. In the second half, we got back to what we do best and got a little less aggro from our LB's.

We never give up big pass plays. We didn't give up any to D-Rob, Landry Jones, or to the two best WR's in the country. I'm not worried about big pass plays in this game. It's all if we stop the run. It will by far be the toughest game plan to execute all year. The closest is Stanford, but again, Bama is the toughest.

The one thing I noticed about A&M is Bama seemed to have given up on the run. When they did run, they were getting some good yardage, but in the 2nd half it was almost non-existent. Again, I'm not worried about big pass plays or our DB's getting caught behind the ball. I'm worried about Lacy and Yeldon busting some big ones early.
    That's exactly what we did. In the 2nd half of the UGA game, we went back to our bread and butter. Part of our B&B, though, is the deep ball. It'll be interesting to see if you're correct that that will be totally impossible for us. Being a lawyer, I tend to stay away from absolutes - just a professional failing...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

BamaNation All-American buzzincuzzin's Avatar

ND's bend-before-you-break-D is more closely akin to the Bears D than anything else. They funnel tackles to their ILB which is fine with us because we want to play between the hash-marks anyway. We run a lot of drag/crossing routes for the "take-what-they-give" early game stuff but the big pass plays come after the safeties are forced up into run support.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

This game will be pick your poison more than anything. ND fan base seems to think all we have is Coop. It's more than just him. They are will to give dink and dunk passes? AJ is very good at take what the defense gives you. Commit men to the box, we have WRs to take advantage. Commit me to stop pass, we have a line and RBs to take advantage. ND has not faced a complete team this year. Don't give me Stanford. Bama would wipe the field with them. Oklahoma? One trick pony with no defense. When you are lucky to beat Michigan even after they turn the ball over six times it shows a lot. I'm not saying ND isn't good, all I'm saying is better is better. Teams have run away from Teo all season. We've run right at teams best all season. He will see a change, but we won't change at all.
    ROLL TIDE!

Suspended
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by FriendlyIrish View Post

IMO "bend don't break" is an excuse used by defenses who can not consistently make stops. Statistically it is much harder to score once an offense gets into the red zone. It isn't anything special to force a team into a field goal try scenario.

Great defenses pin the offense back and get 3 and outs. Good defenses force field goal attempts.