Question: Saban: We're not running away from Teo

Zedman

Nov 29, 2012
The matchups between the Alabama receivers and ND's defensive secondary are very interesting. I really don't know how to read it. As many on this board have pointed out - the corners and safeties are supposed to be ND's weakness. However, they have played well all year and developed along quite nicely. They are definitely young. Russell is a true freshman - but he plays like a veteran. He drew a PI call on Stills in the OU game that was quite saavy. In addition, he was the one that committed two PIs in a row against Lee in the USC game that also showed some football intelligence. He wasn't going to give up the TD pass and knew that a PI only moved the ball a few inches closer to the goaline. Anway - the DBs have all played very well all year. One thing you can say is that they don't miss tackles. I have NO IDEA how this happened - but ND is a very good tackling defense this year. The Irish have lived all year on not letting receivers gain any yards after the catch. If they have a bad day tackling against the Tide - Alabama could run away with the game. However, if the DBs tackle like they have all year - it makes it harder to score. It's actually quite amazing how few yards this defense gives up after the catch.

I think good tackling plays into the overall philosophy mentioned above - bend but don't break. Clearly the defense wants to get a 3 and out, but this is a very patient group. They will tackle well and force teams to put together 10 or 12 play drives and as you all know - that's a BIG challenge to most college teams. Somewhere along the way, there is a falst start or a dropped ball on a 3rd down...and that's all it takes. ND has not given up a ton of explosive plays all year. I think the 50 yarder to Lee in the USC game was the longest all year and really the only big play that I can remember. If they can force Alabama to make long, time-consuming drives and maybe get away with a field goal or two, then the game will be closer. If the Alabama receivers can get over the top and get some explosive plays like Lee did in the USC game, it will will be harder for ND to stay close.

Last edited:

Zedman

Nov 29, 2012
I did know that. It's another reason the game will be so interesting. Alabama wants to eat clock and ND wants to force long drives, so once again it's strength on strength. As you know - college games can be so unpredictable. On paper, it should be a close, low-scoring game with Alabama having the edge in experience in the title game and the O line strength. However, if the Tide gets rolling - it could also be a blowout. My gut tells me it will be the former - a low-scoring affair that could turn on a crucial penalty or turnover.

Last edited:

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
You know Bama excels at time consuming drives more so than quick strike, right? We want to eat clock.

agreed, but you and I also know very well that this Bama offense has the capability to strike quick. AJ will not hesitate to air it out to Cooper/Bell/Jones if they get separation. ND may preferred long drives, but it doesn't mean they will get what they want. 2012 Bama offense has always dictated the pace depending on the situation. it will take a very good defense to impose their will on AJ and co.

deltatider

1st Team
Nov 29, 2005
This has been one of the more informative threads that I've seen thus far with regards to breaking down the game. Good job guys. My hunch is that the first 22 for both team is relatively even, with the Tide getting a bit of an edge. However, what about the depth? Does anyone that's been able to catch a few ND games have an idea how the teams stack up with regards to depth? I figure both teams swap personel in and out a good bit, especially on the D-Line. Thanks for any feedback.

RollinTider1335

All-SEC
Jun 12, 2010
Spring Hill, TN
What do you mean that ND lost to Stanford? I just don't get this argument. Once again - to state the situation - even if you grant that Stephon Taylor got across the goal line on 3rd or 4th down - that would have made the score 20-19. Stanford still had to the kick the extra point in a torrential downpour. If they are successful with the PAT it's 20-20 and the game goes into another overtime. How does this equate to a loss?
First of all Taylor did cross the plane-bad call from the refs. 2nd, ok I'll give you that wouldn't have won the game for Stan but it still doesn't help ND's argument. 3rd, if you don't want to talk about Stan then I could always bring up Pitt.

agreed, but you and I also know very well that this Bama offense has the capability to strike quick. AJ will not hesitate to air it out to Cooper/Bell/Jones if they get separation. ND may preferred long drives, but it doesn't mean they will get what they want. 2012 Bama offense has always dictated the pace depending on the situation. it will take a very good defense to impose their will on AJ and co.
Yes sir, that why we are so balanced. I remember coach said last season he wanted more passing down the field. And he's gotten.

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
AJ did a very good job of reading the UGA defense when they would tried to disguise their schemes. hopefully it will translate over well against ND.
Agreed. Notre Dame is going to model their game plan on the one Penn State used against Miami in 1987.

Basically, they're going to disguise their non-blitzes to look like blitzes and have deceptive coverage on the hot receiver. (especially on run friendly downs as it will neutralize the Alabama's rushing attack by taking it out of their hands)

Unlike Testeverde, AJ has been savvy enough not to throw over the middle into unexpected zone coverage by a drifting linebacker in these situations, but it has forced him to make sideline throws that his banged up physical condition made very difficult.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
This has been one of the more informative threads that I've seen thus far with regards to breaking down the game. Good job guys. My hunch is that the first 22 for both team is relatively even, with the Tide getting a bit of an edge. However, what about the depth? Does anyone that's been able to catch a few ND games have an idea how the teams stack up with regards to depth? I figure both teams swap personel in and out a good bit, especially on the D-Line. Thanks for any feedback.
That's want interest me. Does ND have the depth to last all four quarters? Who will spell their front seven after a steady dose of Lacy and Yeldon? I believe have developed some pretty decent depth this year with some guys stepping up due to injuries and in the second half of some of the blow outs.

Zedman

Nov 29, 2012
First of all Taylor did cross the plane-bad call from the refs. 2nd, ok I'll give you that wouldn't have won the game for Stan but it still doesn't help ND's argument. 3rd, if you don't want to talk about Stan then I could always bring up Pitt.
I didn't say that I didn't want to talk about ND vs. Stanford. We can continue to talk about that game. What other concerns do you have? My point - which you concurred with - is that Stanford would not have won the game even if Taylor crossed the goal line, they would have won the right to play another OT period. What do you want to bring up about Pitt?

I have heard them all:

1. The pass interference was a blown call. Okay - these happen all the time. On the series before the PI call, there was a fumble that gave Pitt the opportunity to score. Blown calls happen all the time and impact both teams.

2. There were two number 2's on the field durign the missed field goal and the refs didn't see it. Correct. Another blown call. Happens all the time and sometimes even costs a team the game. Fact is - the kicker should have made the kick, but he didn't and ND scored and won the game.

I'm not sure what you point is in trying to dismiss Notre Dame. I have enjoyed this thread and there is a lot of informative dialogue on this board. As a Notre Dame fan and graduate, I have enjoyed this undefeated season and I'm proud of our team. You can say Notre Dame was lucky to win a few games - so be it. One could argue that Alabama was lucky to win the LSU game with the last play. Either way - both teams have had great seasons and both have strong defenses.

Ultimately, it's your discussion board, so if you want to deride and dismiss the Irish, that's okay. I'm just a visitor.

Good luck in the BCS game.

Zedman

Nov 29, 2012
That's want interest me. Does ND have the depth to last all four quarters? Who will spell their front seven after a steady dose of Lacy and Yeldon? I believe have developed some pretty decent depth this year with some guys stepping up due to injuries and in the second half of some of the blow outs.
I'm certainly not an expert, but Notre Dame has considerable depth on defense. They start Stephon Tuitt, Louis Nix and Kapron Lewis-Moore and spell them with Sheldon Day, Ishaq Williams, Tony Springmann, Khona Schewnke and a few others. The depth is there for the Irish and has helped in quite a few close games. Notre Dame is also very well conditioned. Paul Longo is Coach Kelly's Strength and Conditioning coach and he has done an outstanding job at every stop during his career. He has really helpd with mental and physical toughness at ND. Kelly treats Longo as another Coordinator with equal footing as the OC and DC. Longo even has a say in playing time decisions and depth chart based on how much time he spends with the team. We finally LOOK like a champsionship calibar team in terms of muscle, speed and conditioning.

Notre Dame will be there all four quarters. They have not had a game in which it looked like they were out of shape all year. This was NOT the case under the previous coaches.

I hope this helps. Do you have any other questions about depth, etc. for the Irish?

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
You stated your point well, Zedman. Good luck to you guys in the championship game. Of course, I hope we crush you guys so I don't have to sweat it out in the 4th quarter, but I have a feeling that this game will be pretty tight. As is almost always the case in close games, it will probably come down to turnovers/mistakes. That worries me because we have made more mistakes than the other team when we have played the three toughest opponents on our schedule. I hope we clean up our mistakes and clean Notre Dame's clock, but it should be a good game. Roll Tide!

Zedman

Nov 29, 2012
Agreed. Notre Dame is going to model their game plan on the one Penn State used against Miami in 1987.

Basically, they're going to disguise their non-blitzes to look like blitzes and have deceptive coverage on the hot receiver. (especially on run friendly downs as it will neutralize the Alabama's rushing attack by taking it out of their hands)

Unlike Testeverde, AJ has been savvy enough not to throw over the middle into unexpected zone coverage by a drifting linebacker in these situations, but it has forced him to make sideline throws that his banged up physical condition made very difficult.

I'm not sure ND tries to disguise anything. I've watched all the ND games this year and they seem to simply play straight up. They know their strengths and they simply try to do what they know they can do well. They will rely on their front seven to generate pressure. They will hope to stuff the run with the front three and use the ILBs as well in the run game. The OLBS (especially Spond) as also very good in coverage. They like to let the safeties help with deep coverage for the young corners. The CBs are athletic and can tackle well. They will sometimes bring Motta up to help in obvious run downs. He hits like a sledgehammer. Most often, he stays back with Farley to help contain and limit explosive plays.

I suspect Notre Dame will try to go with what has worked all year. If Alabama's offensive line mandhandles Notre Dame's DLine - the game will be a blow out. If Tuitt, Nix and Lewis-Moore can hold their own, it will be a close battle. The OLBs could be difference makers if they can cover the tight ends and put pressure on the QB.

Last edited:

Zedman

Nov 29, 2012
We didn't win the LSU game on the last play, nor UGA for that matter. We had to stand up and play defense after we scored the go ahead touchdowns.
My mistake on the LSU game. I thought there was very little time left at the end of that game (under a minute). I apologize for not knowing the actual situation.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.