Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011121316 ... LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Saban: We're not running away from Teo

Boy, did my thread start something here?!
    ROLL TIDE!

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: Saban: We're not running away from Teo

Te'o is such a threat because he is hard to get a body on because their DL is good at eating space. You'd rather try to get a guard on him than run laterally and let him move side-to-side, but Nix makes it hard to get up on him. Their offense has been a liability that has been a struggle to get across the finish line for them, but there is no smoke and mirrors on their defense. They look a lot like us: they have the right kind of personnel to run a 3-4 and make you pass effectively to win. Their LB corp is basically like our own: one star (Mosley and Te'o) and a bunch of role guys (at this juncture of their careers). Their secondary has been the point of concern for each fanbase.

Personally, I think Te'o gets too much credit because their down linemen are really the stars of this defense. Te'o on his own would just be a guy getting a lot of tackles...with their linemen clogging things up, he's allowed to take risks and come through clean to the ball carrier. The story of the game will be how we handle their linemen. If we can free up an interior guy to get a hat on Te'o, we will move the ball. If their linemen don't let guys get free to the second level...we're in for one of those close games where their offense has pulled a rabbit out of their hat in the fourth quarter.

Suspended
    My Mood
    Festive on TideFans.com

"I mean, is there any really doubt Golson can play as well as "Johnny Football"????"

Just saw this on one of their threads, had to laugh at this one. Im just wondering is there anyone on their team that shouldn't have won the Heisman?

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Yeah, except the game Manziel had against us was his statistical norm (well, ~40 yards off his norm). I would say there is plenty of doubt he can play as well as Manziel because his best games were about as good as Manziel's worst. It's one thing to say that Golson has some of the same attributes as Manziel...it's a completely different thing to say you think he can put up a similar performance. He's got the physical tools to do it but I mean come on...lets look at the body of work.

BamaNation First Team
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

rgw, you have a lot of info about ND. Have you seen some of their games? I haven't got to watch any this year and they don't seem to replay any of their games, but the SECCG has been played almost every week. I wish they would replay some of ND's games from this year.

BamaNation Scout Team

Quote Originally Posted by 10Bama54 View Post
    rgw, you have a lot of info about ND. Have you seen some of their games? I haven't got to watch any this year and they don't seem to replay any of their games, but the SECCG has been played almost every week. I wish they would replay some of ND's games from this year.
    You'll get your wish as NBC is re-airing all of Notre Dame's games on New Year's day.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I've watched a few of their games in season and a few more that I found streaming on the net. They're great defensively...it's like watching someone emulate us right down to the personnel types. Te'o reminds me a lot of McClain. Nix, frankly, is probably a better guy at affecting the pocket than any of our NT but he's pretty similar to Chapman...strong as an ox. Tuitt is a 3-4 end that can rush like Dareus. Their WDE, Moore, is much like guys who we've had at that position: dirty work guy like Deaderick or Jesse Williams last year. Shembo shows flashes of being a quality rush OLB for them but he hasn't put it together yet...kinda like Hubbard.

Offensively, they're a spread-to-run offense. They like to get you stretched horizontally with WR screens and perimeter runs so they can go back to into the middle later. They've been inconsistent with stretching a defense vertically but they use Efiert on the perimeter for fade type stuff where he can body defenders.

BamaNation First Team
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Just about as soon as I posted this, I found out there are some games on tonight. On CSS they are replaying the ND vs Michigan game right now and at 8:00 Central and 9:00 Eastern they are showing ND vs Stanford. I just want to see what we are up against.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by 10Bama54 View Post
    Just about as soon as I posted this, I found out there are some games on tonight. On CSS they are replaying the ND vs Michigan game right now and at 8:00 Central and 9:00 Eastern they are showing ND vs Stanford. I just want to see what we are up against.
    ND-Stanford is a good watch because they share some similarities to us. Stanford is 3-4 like us, but they use some differing front assignments (they 1-gap their down linemen).

Quote Originally Posted by BFANLC View Post
    "I mean, is there any really doubt Golson can play as well as "Johnny Football"????"

Just saw this on one of their threads, had to laugh at this one. Im just wondering is there anyone on their team that shouldn't have won the Heisman?
    The Heisman Committee didn't seem to notice Golson's play... The first raft of their fans seemed to be pretty decent. Now, we seem to be getting the chest thumpers...
    Last edited by TIDE-HSV; December 25th, 2012 at 10:52 PM. Reason: typo
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Saban: We're not running away from Teo

I want to beat these guys so badly.
    ROLL TIDE!

BamaNation All-SEC

The best way to defend Alabama's offense is to fake a blitz to entice AJ to audible out of a run and into a quick hitting pass play that is expecting single coverage. I expect this to be ND's primary defensive strategy.

Fortunately, AJ didn't fall for that much against UGA and attacked the primary point of attack instead. I think that the imperative instilled in AJ to run right at Jarvis Jones overrode the tendency to change the play depending on the number of defenders in the box.

Hopefully, the same will with the case with ND.
    Last edited by JeffAtlanta; December 25th, 2012 at 09:54 PM.

BamaNation Scout Team

Quote Originally Posted by RollinTider1335 View Post
    Actually ND lost to Stan, they just didnt get the L on record. I think they had replacement refs that game.
    What do you mean that ND lost to Stanford? I just don't get this argument. Once again - to state the situation - even if you grant that Stephon Taylor got across the goal line on 3rd or 4th down - that would have made the score 20-19. Stanford still had to the kick the extra point in a torrential downpour. If they are successful with the PAT it's 20-20 and the game goes into another overtime. How does this equate to a loss?