Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112131417 ... LastLast
    BamaNation Scout Team

Re: Saban: We're not running away from Teo

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    I've watched a few of their games in season and a few more that I found streaming on the net. They're great defensively...it's like watching someone emulate us right down to the personnel types. Te'o reminds me a lot of McClain. Nix, frankly, is probably a better guy at affecting the pocket than any of our NT but he's pretty similar to Chapman...strong as an ox. Tuitt is a 3-4 end that can rush like Dareus. Their WDE, Moore, is much like guys who we've had at that position: dirty work guy like Deaderick or Jesse Williams last year. Shembo shows flashes of being a quality rush OLB for them but he hasn't put it together yet...kinda like Hubbard.
    I thnk rgw has some excellent analysis on ND's defense. In particular, the OLBs have made some excellent progress this year. Danny Spond has developed into a very good OLB that can play containment, but has also been very effective in coverage. I think he is one of the keys to the defense this year and to the BCS title game. Typically ND turns Shembo loose on the other side on passing downs as a rush OLB. Another strength of the ND defense is the depth. Throughout the game, ND will also play Khona Schwenke at NT (not as good as Nix - but still effective) and Ishaq Williams and Sheldon Day as rush ends. Tony Springmann at 6-7 300lbs has also improved greatly this year. So far this year, ND has been able to wear down opponents and survive close games based on their depth and their conditioning.

ND will rarely blitz Teo or Fox from their ILB positions. They do bring them on occassion as in the OU game - only one blitz by Teo that resulted in a sack. They will try to funnel the runs up the middle. Pitt exposed a weakness on the edge for ND. Graham gained most of his yards when he was able to bounce outside and Spond and Shembo lost containment.

Clearly, Alabama will be THE toughest offensive line that ND has faced all year. It will be a good matchup of strength on strength. I expect an epic battle between Barrett Jones and Louis Nix. If Nix and Tuitt and Kapron Lewis-Moore can occupy more than one offensive lineman each - then Te'o could have a big day. If Alabama's outstanding O line can get to the second level and hit Te'o and Fox - it will be a LONG day for the Irish.

Thanks again, rgw for the analysis and commentary.

Good luck in the upcoming game!
    Last edited by Zedman; December 25th, 2012 at 11:21 PM.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Saban: We're not running away from Teo

That's key getting to that second level. I still think though our WRs will have a field day.

BamaNation Scout Team

The matchups between the Alabama receivers and ND's defensive secondary are very interesting. I really don't know how to read it. As many on this board have pointed out - the corners and safeties are supposed to be ND's weakness. However, they have played well all year and developed along quite nicely. They are definitely young. Russell is a true freshman - but he plays like a veteran. He drew a PI call on Stills in the OU game that was quite saavy. In addition, he was the one that committed two PIs in a row against Lee in the USC game that also showed some football intelligence. He wasn't going to give up the TD pass and knew that a PI only moved the ball a few inches closer to the goaline. Anway - the DBs have all played very well all year. One thing you can say is that they don't miss tackles. I have NO IDEA how this happened - but ND is a very good tackling defense this year. The Irish have lived all year on not letting receivers gain any yards after the catch. If they have a bad day tackling against the Tide - Alabama could run away with the game. However, if the DBs tackle like they have all year - it makes it harder to score. It's actually quite amazing how few yards this defense gives up after the catch.

I think good tackling plays into the overall philosophy mentioned above - bend but don't break. Clearly the defense wants to get a 3 and out, but this is a very patient group. They will tackle well and force teams to put together 10 or 12 play drives and as you all know - that's a BIG challenge to most college teams. Somewhere along the way, there is a falst start or a dropped ball on a 3rd down...and that's all it takes. ND has not given up a ton of explosive plays all year. I think the 50 yarder to Lee in the USC game was the longest all year and really the only big play that I can remember. If they can force Alabama to make long, time-consuming drives and maybe get away with a field goal or two, then the game will be closer. If the Alabama receivers can get over the top and get some explosive plays like Lee did in the USC game, it will will be harder for ND to stay close.
    Last edited by Zedman; December 26th, 2012 at 10:25 AM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

You know Bama excels at time consuming drives more so than quick strike, right? We want to eat clock.

BamaNation Scout Team

I did know that. It's another reason the game will be so interesting. Alabama wants to eat clock and ND wants to force long drives, so once again it's strength on strength. As you know - college games can be so unpredictable. On paper, it should be a close, low-scoring game with Alabama having the edge in experience in the title game and the O line strength. However, if the Tide gets rolling - it could also be a blowout. My gut tells me it will be the former - a low-scoring affair that could turn on a crucial penalty or turnover.
    Last edited by Zedman; December 26th, 2012 at 11:54 AM.

BamaNation All-American sanjosecrimson's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by NDGiantsKings View Post
    He had 2 long runs(neither one was up the middle) and was pretty much shut down.
    which is it, you shut him down or he was able to rush for what he did?? stats don't care if he was running up the gut or bouncing to the outside. in case you forgot, long runs are part of the stats...

you can't have it both ways.

My Mood

Quote Originally Posted by JBama_in_PCOLA View Post
    You know Bama excels at time consuming drives more so than quick strike, right? We want to eat clock.

agreed, but you and I also know very well that this Bama offense has the capability to strike quick. AJ will not hesitate to air it out to Cooper/Bell/Jones if they get separation. ND may preferred long drives, but it doesn't mean they will get what they want. 2012 Bama offense has always dictated the pace depending on the situation. it will take a very good defense to impose their will on AJ and co.

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by sanjosecrimson View Post
    2012 Bama offense has always dictated the pace depending on the situation. it will take a very good defense to impose their will on AJ and co.
    Agreed, but the problem has been the offense misreading the situation e.g. defenses loading up the box but then dropping back into coverage.

My Mood

Quote Originally Posted by JeffAtlanta View Post
    Agreed, but the problem has been the offense misreading the situation e.g. defenses loading up the box but then dropping back into coverage.
    AJ did a very good job of reading the UGA defense when they would tried to disguise their schemes. hopefully it will translate over well against ND.

BamaNation All-SEC Snuffy Smith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ruffian View Post
    You'll get your wish as NBC is re-airing all of Notre Dame's games on New Year's day.
    ???? Not showing up in the channel guide on 48 in Huntsville.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BamaNation Scout Team

Quote Originally Posted by Snuffy Smith View Post
    ???? Not showing up in the channel guide on 48 in Huntsville.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The link below has information about the New Year's Day Marathon: http://sportsmedianews.com/undefeate...p-m-et-on-nbc/

Although, after re-reading this, it looks like it will be aired on the NBC Sports Network.

BamaNation First Team deltatider's Avatar

This has been one of the more informative threads that I've seen thus far with regards to breaking down the game. Good job guys. My hunch is that the first 22 for both team is relatively even, with the Tide getting a bit of an edge. However, what about the depth? Does anyone that's been able to catch a few ND games have an idea how the teams stack up with regards to depth? I figure both teams swap personel in and out a good bit, especially on the D-Line. Thanks for any feedback.

BamaNation First Team RollinTider1335's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Zedman View Post
    What do you mean that ND lost to Stanford? I just don't get this argument. Once again - to state the situation - even if you grant that Stephon Taylor got across the goal line on 3rd or 4th down - that would have made the score 20-19. Stanford still had to the kick the extra point in a torrential downpour. If they are successful with the PAT it's 20-20 and the game goes into another overtime. How does this equate to a loss?
    First of all Taylor did cross the plane-bad call from the refs. 2nd, ok I'll give you that wouldn't have won the game for Stan but it still doesn't help ND's argument. 3rd, if you don't want to talk about Stan then I could always bring up Pitt.