Question: Saban: We're not running away from Teo

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
So I am hearing some things that LSU is a better D, and if we are not better than LSU we most likely won't win...

I'd say there are probably 2-3 teams in CFB that have a chance of winning in Death Valley with what you guys had at stake. It is an impressive win. In any case, this site provides some good stats. It is purely opponent-adjusted, and is very reputable. The best defense you all have faced is LSU at 12, and they held you to 331 and 21 points. If LSU can do that, I see no reason why ND can. With opponent adjusted statistics, we are the best defense you will face all year.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/feidef2012
Looking at that Notre Dame played the #3 and #4 toughest defense, and both gave up 20 points. Guess Bama will win 21-20.

FriendlyIrish

3rd Team
Nov 22, 2012
Looking at that Notre Dame played the #3 and #4 toughest defense, and both gave up 20 points. Guess Bama will win 21-20.
Touche. It goes right with what RGW said above as well, in that the defenses are different. LSU isn't what it was last year or previously, with giving up too many points to certain teams (i.e. 20 to Towson St). On that night in Death Valley they probably played their best.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Being human, we'll keep trying to find basis for comparison. We have to talk about something for the next 11 days or so. Of course, we only have the one opponent in common, which, as we all know, is a slender reed indeed. However, for obvious reasons, the comparative score there is one that Tide fans love and Irish fans detest and rationalize... :)

Yes I brought up LSU and not on a neutral field. This is Saturday night against LSU. It is a beast Notre Dame hasn't gone through, that nor the SECCG. The light came on for Metty. Had it not been for an AJ being cute fumble it wouldn't have come down to a 4th quarter screen to Yeldon. What Notre Dame doesn't quite understand is in a conference you have Big BIG rivalries. That have to be played year in and out. Sure you play Oklahoma who is having a down year but c'mon Oklahoma hasn't been the same since Florida got ahold to them. Sure you played USC... Without Matt Barkley and even the true freshman made a game of it. Michigan?! We ran through them like caster oil. You managed to squeak by. Don't give me Michigan State. They couldn't pass the butter. I know we play some creme puffs too, but we have a right. This is the SEC and not BYU. It's a reason why half the SEC would be favored against ND. Sure, ND plays an SEC style defense, but Alabama is the SEC. No way we lose this one.

cpmont

Dec 31, 2011
We've heard "bend don't break" for years. All you do is let teams chew up yards, use up the clock and beat you with field goals. Lucky for nd Pitt missed a field goal.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
Yes I brought up LSU and not on a neutral field. This is Saturday night against LSU. It is a beast Notre Dame hasn't gone through, that nor the SECCG. The light came on for Metty. Had it not been for an AJ being cute fumble it wouldn't have come down to a 4th quarter screen to Yeldon. What Notre Dame doesn't quite understand is in a conference you have Big BIG rivalries. That have to be played year in and out. Sure you play Oklahoma who is having a down year but c'mon Oklahoma hasn't been the same since Florida got ahold to them. Sure you played USC... Without Matt Barkley and even the true freshman made a game of it. Michigan?! We ran through them like caster oil. You managed to squeak by. Don't give me Michigan State. They couldn't pass the butter. I know we play some creme puffs too, but we have a right. This is the SEC and not BYU. It's a reason why half the SEC would be favored against ND. Sure, ND plays an SEC style defense, but Alabama is the SEC. No way we lose this one.
I'm loving your kool aid man. I agree with this and I will til I see otherwise. Roll tide.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
Being human, we'll keep trying to find basis for comparison. We have to talk about something for the next 11 days or so. Of course, we only have the one opponent in common, which, as we all know, is a slender reed indeed. However, for obvious reasons, the comparative score there is one that Tide fans love and Irish fans detest and rationalize... :)
moreover that game with UM was in Dallas. ND struggled with UM in South Bend with 6 gifts. :wink:

Last edited:

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
I know we play some creme puffs too, but we have a right. This is the SEC and not BYU. It's a reason why half the SEC would be favored against ND. Sure, ND plays an SEC style defense, but Alabama is the SEC. No way we lose this one

Bama has played 3 tough teams this season ( LSU, TAMU, UGA) . ND has played 2-3 tough games this season as well ( OU, Stanford, USC).

the difference is that Bama has dominated our weaker opponents while ND struggles against their weaker bunch!!! I don't care how you slice this obvious pie, that is the bottom line. PERIOD.

Last edited:

bamagradinATL

All-American
Sep 12, 2006
McKinney, TX
moreover that game with UM was in Dallas. ND struggled with UM in South Bend with 6 gifts. :wink:
The ND fans I know give ND credit for beating UM, but don't want to give Bama credit for taking UM to the woodshed.

Bama has played 3 tough teams this season ( LSU, TAMU, UGA) . ND has played 2-3 tough games this season as well ( OU, Stanford, USC).

the difference is that Bama has dominated our weaker opponents while ND struggles against their weaker bunch!!! I don't care how you slice this obvious pie, that is the bottom line. PERIOD.
True. I didn't know Perdue, Pitt, Wake Forest & BC were such great teams. :smile:

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
Notre Dame has played most of the year on defense with two safeties deep. If they do that we will gash them with the running game. If they bring their safeties in the box then we go over the top with AC. IMO Notre Dame has to sell out to stop the run or the pass. Whichever one they choose will leave the other open for big plays, but we still have to execute to take advantage of that.

They'll try to stop our running game early without committing safeties. If we're able to run successfully, they'll bring safety support and then Aj will go over the top.

I dont think they can stop our running without 8 in the box, but I do think they'll want to try it early on out of concern for our passing game.

thats the great thing about being balanced, stop one aspect, and get beat by the other. ;)

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
OJ will have to adjust. He dominated weak competition, but the fact remains he dominated. He has the size to really be special and I'm actually counting on that. I think Brent will grow into that HB roll. AJ has missed on a few throws this year. I feel if he gets his blocking down, the offense will be even more dangerous, and nearly unstoppable.

As for Vogler, he's really stepped up. Him and Williams are devastating blockers and if you combine that with the offensive line, what do or can you do. The guy on ESPNU says that Georgia did not adjust early enough in the game and just took it. I really don't see how they could have. All we did is just line up and run. I didn't see anything too extravagant other than a lineman pulling every now and then. Everyone who was watching including those on the field knew it was coming and they still couldn't stop it. Then when they thought they had stopped it, it was only because the line was pass blocking for AJ over the top to Coop. I don't see in the replays of the game that gives ND too much of a clue to thwart the O-line. All we do is get hat on a hat and grind you in to powder. They'll have to jump out on a big lead and hope we don't com back with a vengeance, like the A&M game.
..if we do that again, we'll beat Notre Dame by a very comfortable margin. If ND cant stop the inside running, it will be a Long, Long day for them.

In the Georgia game, Bama was determined to run the ball, and Georgia had no answers...that sucks the wind right out of a defense. Its beena long, long time since I saw a team dominate a defensive line like Bama did that day.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
Te'o is about 20 pounds bigger than Jarvis Jones... they are completely different players. Jarvis Jones is a much better pass rusher, and is asked to do that on a regular basis... The Notre Dame scheme is much different, as it asks Te'o to run stuff and cover in space. Notre Dame's defense is much more like an SEC defense than Georgia is. All of Notre Dame's LB's are over 250 lbs and every defensive line starter is over 300 lbs. The Notre Dame plan will be to stuff the run and to limit the big pass plays. Will they be able to do this? I'm not sure, but that is the design of the defense, and it has been pretty successful all year.
No offense, but every team we've plaeyd for the last 4 years has had that exact gameplan...time will tell if your better than the other teams we've beaten that tried it.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
I've watched a few of their games in season and a few more that I found streaming on the net. They're great defensively...it's like watching someone emulate us right down to the personnel types. Te'o reminds me a lot of McClain. Nix, frankly, is probably a better guy at affecting the pocket than any of our NT but he's pretty similar to Chapman...strong as an ox. Tuitt is a 3-4 end that can rush like Dareus. Their WDE, Moore, is much like guys who we've had at that position: dirty work guy like Deaderick or Jesse Williams last year. Shembo shows flashes of being a quality rush OLB for them but he hasn't put it together yet...kinda like Hubbard.

Offensively, they're a spread-to-run offense. They like to get you stretched horizontally with WR screens and perimeter runs so they can go back to into the middle later. They've been inconsistent with stretching a defense vertically but they use Efiert on the perimeter for fade type stuff where he can body defenders.
Notre Dame's defense is as good as billed; very solid front seven and a secondary that holds down the big plays for the most part..

Their offense on the other hand, will have a VERY hard time getting yards against our defense. Nothing on their offense says that they will be able to consistently put together scoring drives, and field goals will not get it done for them.

Thats what will seperate us from them.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Despite eleven pages, the principle remains - you don't run away from a dominant defender who has great lateral quickness - at least not until later in the game... :)

buzzincuzzin

All-American
Jan 8, 2006
No real secret on how to beat Alabama. Ask anybody.

1) Shut down the running attack.
2) Pressure AJ into throwing late/high over the middle.
3) Gap big runs wide outside the numbers.
4) Hit deep go routes against the corners.

GOT IT?

Ok. On three.... Ready,,,, break.

bamagradinATL

All-American
Sep 12, 2006
McKinney, TX
No real secret on how to beat Alabama. Ask anybody.

1) Shut down the running attack.
2) Pressure AJ into throwing late/high over the middle.
3) Gap big runs wide outside the numbers.
4) Hit deep go routes against the corners.

GOT IT?

Ok. On three.... Ready,,,, break.
It looks easy on paper. :cool:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.