Question: Saban: We're not running away from Teo

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Of course not. Running away from him would play right into his hands, allowing him to chase plays down. He's gonna be dealing with Warmack and Steen all day instead.

BAMA JAMMA

Scout Team
Oct 28, 2007
Anyone remember what happened to the last super hyped player on opposing teams defense that was exploited by going straight at him? Yea....and that's going to happen to Teo as well and I can't wait to see what Saban & Co dial up.

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
I'm anxious to see how we attack Nix III. People say the NT gives Barrett problems especially with a hurt foot. BJ will be ready though!
Have to admit I'm worried about the foot injury as they are often difficult to heal. No idea what type of injury it is but I'm hopeful no broken bones are involved. Barrett is such an intense competitor I'm sure there's no way he will miss the game.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Just saw something on College Football Live that says that Saban isn't going to run from Teo. What did they expect?! He is the middle LB! I think all of our receivers and AJ will come up big in the game anyway.
I just caught the end of it, but a couple of the THs were saying that ND would "pinch us in" when we tried to run up the middle. I haven't quite figured out how you do that without emptying the flats and putting corners on an island. I like that idea, but I don't think ND will fall for using it. They will walk everyone up, just like all the other teams, because they have no choice...

I just caught the end of it, but a couple of the THs were saying that ND would "pinch us in" when we tried to run up the middle. I haven't quite figured out how you do that without emptying the flats and putting corners on an island. I like that idea, but I don't think ND will fall for using it. They will walk everyone up, just like all the other teams, because they have no choice...
Kirby, in another segment, said that they had to commit another defender to the box to stop the run. He also said something about walking the safeties us. Two things I got from that is walking the safeties up doesn't mean too much, unless they love taking a 240+ lb. bull or ND feels safe with our splits to go one on one. Either to me is a recipe for disaster if I'm a defender for ND.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Notre Dame has played most of the year on defense with two safeties deep. If they do that we will gash them with the running game. If they bring their safeties in the box then we go over the top with AC. IMO Notre Dame has to sell out to stop the run or the pass. Whichever one they choose will leave the other open for big plays, but we still have to execute to take advantage of that.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
You can't really scheme around guys in the middle of the field like a NT or ILB...you have to cope with them.

HSV, I think they are talking about pinching their ends which they seemed to do a good bit. They like to have their ends fight into the B-gaps and use the OLBs to play outside contain. With their ends fighting between the tackle and guard, Nix controlling the A-gaps, and the OLBs setting the edge, it usually gives their ILBs a free run to catch the tailback who is stuck between the tackles or one of their DEs slips the blocks and hits the tailback at or behind the LOS.

The best adjustment to that is probably the two-TE look we used against UGA. The play action to the TE rollout should be open because their OLBs will get sucked inside off the play fake. Also, getting the motion TE (H-Back usually) to the same side as the other TE allows you to play the numbers on an outside handoff because their DL will be fighting inside and there will be more blockers off tackle than they can handle.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
You can't really scheme around guys in the middle of the field like a NT or ILB...you have to cope with them.

HSV, I think they are talking about pinching their ends which they seemed to do a good bit. They like to have their ends fight into the B-gaps and use the OLBs to play outside contain. With their ends fighting between the tackle and guard, Nix controlling the A-gaps, and the OLBs setting the edge, it usually gives their ILBs a free run to catch the tailback who is stuck between the tackles or one of their DEs slips the blocks and hits the tailback at or behind the LOS.

The best adjustment to that is probably the two-TE look we used against UGA. The play action to the TE rollout should be open because their OLBs will get sucked inside off the play fake. Also, getting the motion TE (H-Back usually) to the same side as the other TE allows you to play the numbers on an outside handoff because their DL will be fighting inside and there will be more blockers off tackle than they can handle.
You and I were talking about this the other week, rgw. I also think we could have some "hat on hat" big run opportunities in the 2 TE set. If a guy like Vogler can come out and reproduce the game he had against UGA, watch out!

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
You and I were talking about this the other week, rgw. I also think we could have some "hat on hat" big run opportunities in the 2 TE set. If a guy like Vogler can come out and reproduce the game he had against UGA, watch out!
I think the lights came on for him...

dadleyblane5

All-SEC
Apr 19, 2011
DeFuniak Springs Fl.
Exactly right Earl!!!!!! That's what Ida said too..RTR!

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I hope Volger finally has it come together. I think he's got a little more ability to be a passing game threat than Michael Williams who really maxed out his potential two years ago it seems. No offense to the guy, but he looked like the tight end who was only on the field to seal the edge in 2010 and he hasn't really developed much more beyond that since. With that said, he's as good of a blocker you'll find at the position. I just had some hope his pure athleticism would manifest into more dynamic ability as receiver.

Volger may end up being the same type of player though. If he was really lighting it up as a receiver, I'd venture to bet he would have had some roles in the offense we haven't seen him do. It was definitely a positive to see him excel as a blocker in the SECCG and it bodes well in regards to at least getting a steady transition at Williams' former TE position in 2013.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Vogler has put on a lot of good weight the last 12 months. His development has been a pleasant sight.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Good analysis and, as I said below, the lights seem to have come on for Vogler. He can make that go...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.