The Advocate Baton Rouge: 5 reasons LSU should leave SEC

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
A good friend of mine posted this on another forum:

"1. A few years ago, when everybody we played had an off week to prepare for us, and we cried foul, LSU fans were among the loudest at telling us to get over it. So Florida is your traditional rival. So what? Get over it.2. "It's just not fair that now we have Alabama on one side, and A&M on the other side. Boo hoo hoo." LSU used to play A&M yearly, and it was when Sherrill and then Slocum coached there, so they were good teams. I lived in Louisiana back then, and I don't remember all the crying about having to play them.
3. "Alabama gets an unfair advantage because the SEC is in Birmingham. Boo hoo." Yes, this is why the SECCG is still played at Legion Field. Oh wait..... When we were down, and everybody was walking all over Mike Shula, the SEC office was still in Birmingham. When Roy Kramer shafted us with about 3 times the probation we deserved, he did it from his office in Birmingham. Put on your big boy pants and win the games when it counts. ........
4. "If we go to 4 superconferences, we'll have to battle Alabama, Georgia, Florida, and maybe A&M to get to the championship game. Boo hoo." I don't hear anybody from Alabama, Florida, Georgia, or A&M crying like titty babies over it. You're admitting you don't think you can measure up. Maybe you should go play Wussball in the Big 12 or ACC.
5. "Geography is overrated", you say. Sure, go play in the WAC, if it's still there. You wouldn't want to play in the Pac 12. Oregon or somebody might beat you. Hell, go play in the Mid-American Conference. Maybe you can take vengeance against Saban by beating Kent State every year.
Face it boys. The normal order has been restored in the SEC, and you ain't it. You're pretty good, but that's mostly all you've ever been. Revel in your almost-good-enoughness. But don't tuck your stripey little tails and run away."

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
was only a few years ago that people here kept talking about how Alabama should leave the SEC. Not sure what makes people come up with stuff like this.

JPT4Bama

Hall of Fame
Aug 21, 2006
Hoover, AL
Just a friendly comment...a journalist in Baton Rouge wrote an article, the content of which may or may not reflect the feelings and beliefs of any LSU fans, administrators, players, coaches, etc. When we jump on here and make comments like "I can't believe these corndogs...", or "LSU should stop whining...", it is the same thing as if LSU fans took everything Paul Finebaum says to be the unified voice of the Alabama nation.

Just a thought
Go to TigerDroppings and you will see this writer's (BRA) opinion repeated over and over. They cannot get past the 2011 season or their constant whining regarding Alabama and the SEC. It's borderline pathetic.

They hate Bama more than most here can imagine and 99% of that has to do with Nick Saban. They make the boogs seem like grad class in logic.

Let them go IMO.

BamaSully

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
Jackson, TN
Go to TigerDroppings and you will see this writer's (BRA) opinion repeated over and over. They cannot get past the 2011 season or their constant whining regarding Alabama and the SEC. It's borderline pathetic.

They hate Bama more than most here can imagine and 99% of that has to do with Nick Saban. They make the boogs seem like grad class in logic.

Let them go IMO.
Good point. I have never been to that site so I wouldn't know. However I would assume that any message board for college football fans in the southeast would read about the same way without good moderators enforcing some semblance of order. I still would be willing to bet that sentiment represents a small minority of the LSU crowd.

banjeaux

All-American
Jun 6, 2007
Slidell, Louisiana
The Advocate Letter to editor: Fan behavior dishonored LSU

http://theadvocate.com/news/opinion/4358458-123/fan-behavior-dishonored-lsu

This letter was posted after latest Bama v LSU game. There are lots of good people in Louisiana.

NOVEMBER 13, 2012

5 COMMENTS

I love LSU football. I love everything about it: the sights, the sounds and the smell of the air on Saturday nights thick with bourbon and Creole spices. I love to yell as loud as I can every time our defense steps onto the field, and I even like the soreness in my throat on Sunday mornings.

Being an LSU fan runs deep in my family, and going to Tiger Stadium is a privileged connection, not only to our university, but to our ancestors who helped to build it, one game, one scream at a time, into the most-intimidating place to play college football. My grandfather didn’t miss a game in more than 40 seasons. My parents have been season ticket holders for more than 30 years, and I hope my three daughters will one day carry on the tradition with their children.

With those who have gone before us in mind, I must take issue with the students and other fans that first booed the Alabama band, and then later participated in an obscene cheer directed at Alabama Coach Nick Saban.

Such displays are not welcome and are what my old high school coach would call “bush-league.” They are not worthy of a great university or our top-ranked ball club and they dishonor those who have gone before us to build one of our state’s great traditions. Being vulgar for vulgarity’s sake is not collegiate, and these negative outbursts do nothing to serve our players and coaches and they conversely rally the other team.

Sure, I “love to hate” the Tide as much as anyone who bleeds purple and gold, and I’m by no stretch a prude, but the University of Alabama is our conference peer, and their players, band and fans were our guests and should have been respected as worthy competitors. As a young man, I was taught that sportsmanship was an important part of being a player, and that it was important to both win and lose with dignity.

Sadly, some of our fans decided to sacrifice our community’s character with these low-class displays.

Pete Martinez

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Another "the league office is in Birmingham so Alabama benefits unfairly." Funny - how then did we get SIX games against opponents with an off week in 2010? I'm assuming the league office is in Birmingham because that was centrally located before expansion in 92.
That's what's hilarious. Did they complain when we had to play our six games through six rested opponents, including them? No complaints then, and, last saw the same people were in the same office in Birmingham. It took national notice and outcry over the unfairness to get the schedule revamped, and yet they dare declare of unfairness, just because they have to play Florida? Give me a break. That fan base/fan site can come up with the dumbest ideas. I actually think it would benefit Bama financially. Let 'em go...

dadleyblane5

All-SEC
Apr 19, 2011
DeFuniak Springs Fl.
a good friend of mine posted this on another forum:

"1. A few years ago, when everybody we played had an off week to prepare for us, and we cried foul, lsu fans were among the loudest at telling us to get over it. So florida is your traditional rival. So what? Get over it.2. "it's just not fair that now we have alabama on one side, and a&m on the other side. Boo hoo hoo." lsu used to play a&m yearly, and it was when sherrill and then slocum coached there, so they were good teams. I lived in louisiana back then, and i don't remember all the crying about having to play them.
3. "alabama gets an unfair advantage because the sec is in birmingham. Boo hoo." yes, this is why the seccg is still played at legion field. Oh wait..... When we were down, and everybody was walking all over mike shula, the sec office was still in birmingham. When roy kramer shafted us with about 3 times the probation we deserved, he did it from his office in birmingham. Put on your big boy pants and win the games when it counts. ........
4. "if we go to 4 superconferences, we'll have to battle alabama, georgia, florida, and maybe a&m to get to the championship game. Boo hoo." i don't hear anybody from alabama, florida, georgia, or a&m crying like titty babies over it. You're admitting you don't think you can measure up. Maybe you should go play wussball in the big 12 or acc.
5. "geography is overrated", you say. Sure, go play in the wac, if it's still there. You wouldn't want to play in the pac 12. Oregon or somebody might beat you. Hell, go play in the mid-american conference. Maybe you can take vengeance against saban by beating kent state every year.
face it boys. The normal order has been restored in the sec, and you ain't it. You're pretty good, but that's mostly all you've ever been. Revel in your almost-good-enoughness. But don't tuck your stripey little tails and run away."
roflmbo!!!! I love it!!

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009

Let them go IMO.
I would drop the percentage to about 50, though; I saw the hate back in '72 and it was very real. I saw it all through the 80's (spent a lot of time down the bayou) and it was very real. Nick just made it white-hot. I love it.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
The ultimate problem is the 8-game schedule which Alabama is the only vocal supporter of expanding the conference schedule. If people want to complain about scheduling unbalance, then they need to consider what is their school's stance on schedule expansion first before opening their mouths. There is a reason why we're still playing 8 games which makes no sense with a permanent interdivisional rival and it's because most schools refuse to play one more SEC game in favor of a gimme home game...and we know Saban (therefore Mal Moore) disagree.
What good would the 9 game schedule do? Please clarify. It will make the schedule more difficult for everyone, we know that because an SEC opponent instead of a cupcake home game would be harder, but what good would it do?

What possible good would it do to change something that's been happening the whole time? This whole we need 9 SEC games thing just makes no sense when compared to the excuses people usually give for doing it. The thing would still rotate, it's been rotating, that's how it works. A 9 game schedule won't stop the rotation!

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
I think I'm at least 10 IQ points dumber for having read that.

I could have written this article much more succinctly:

"Waaaaaaahhhhhhhh waahhhhhh waahhhhhh"

Crimson Cat

FB Moderator
Nov 26, 2006
Alabama
Re: Five reasons LSU should stick with the SEC

I'm sorry but that isn't a legit beef...schedules are made up in advance and no one can predict who's going to be decent/good. How many years has USCe been mediocre, even with Spurrier there? No offense to USCe fans but they typically aren't a team to be feared. On any given year, having UTee and Auburn on the schedule is tougher than playing USCe. We can't help they stink the last couple years. UGA, Kentucky, USCe and UF rotate on/off our schedule every two years and it's always been that way.
As for permanents, LSU plays UF, Alabama and Auburn every year I think. Alabama plays UTee, LSU and the barn. Bama didn't complain having to play UTee at the height of their success.
The bye-week issue went on for YEARS before it got changed, and Bama didn't have a bye before the BAMA/LSU game this year although LSU did. They always do, as does Auburn it seems. TAMU had a pretty darn tough 3-4 road game stretch and I haven't heard their fanbase whining about it.
I would agree on the permanent rivalry thing, it probably needs to go as well as the conference expands.
Other than that, this all sounds like typical whiny LSU Rant material, imho. They must have snagged a ranter to write that article.

I normally agree with your posts but you are wrong here and we had a bye before the LSU game. When we had that scheduling conflict every day someone would posts here complaining about it. We complained and they changed it. This guy should complain just as we would if the schedules were reversed. I have Crimson colored glasses but not to the point I can't tell when someone has a legitimate beef. LSU played 4 teams in the final top 10 of the BCS poll one of them being us. We played 2 one of them being them. As an Alabama, fan for having another chance to win a title, we could not ask for a better schedule than the one we have.

And for an example of teams being unpredictable, look no further than TAMU. No one predicted they'd be good their first season in the SEC. They've been a consistent 6-7-8 win team the last three years, hence firing their old coach and hiring Sumlin. Yet here TAMU sits with a Heisman winner at qb (a freshman, no less), and 10-2 record their first season in the SEC and all under a new HC. You CAN'T predict that.

Last edited:

AggieMom

Suspended
Nov 19, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Re: Five reasons LSU should stick with the SEC

TAMU had a pretty darn tough 3-4 road game stretch and I haven't heard their fanbase whining about it.

And for an example of teams being unpredictable, look no further than TAMU. No one predicted they'd be good their first season in the SEC. They've been a consistent 6-7-8 win team the last three years, hence firing their old coach and hiring Sumlin. Yet here TAMU sits with a Heisman winner at qb (a freshman, no less), and 10-2 record their first season in the SEC and all under a new HC. You CAN'T predict that.
No whining here! As you noted we had a tough 3 road game stretch (culminating with game against Alabama - :) ), but also 12 straight games with no bye week and wound up perfect on the road. You definitely CAN'T predict that!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.