The Advocate Baton Rouge: 5 reasons LSU should leave SEC

RollinTider1335

All-SEC
Jun 12, 2010
Spring Hill, TN
Weren't the who's bragging endlessly about their difficult schedule last year? They seemed fine with the "challenge" until the last game of the season which resulted in a L.

What? Alabama not only caught the rough side of the schedule in the past, they had to do it while facing team after team (including LSU) coming off a bye.

There's nothing wrong with the schedule. Alabama won the national championship having the #2 SoS in the nation. Who was LSU's OOC this year? It was Washington. This is a manufactured issue. The only thing I hate more than the media saying drivel like this is when Alabama fans get suckered into believing it. There will be easier and more difficult years, that's just how it goes. Was Alabama whining when they had to face Peyton Manning each year?

Alabama's SoS was 33, LSU's was 28. Fix what?

If LSU actually was stupid enough to try and follow Tulane, go for it... I just can't believe any Alabama fans are chirping along with them.
I swear man, you make more sense than 99% of us on here. Roll Tide and I fully agree with you!

I normally agree with your posts but you are wrong here and we had a bye before the LSU game. When we had that scheduling conflict every day someone would posts here complaining about it. We complained and they changed it. This guy should complain just as we would if the schedules were reversed. I have Crimson colored glasses but not to the point I can't tell when someone has a legitimate beef. LSU played 4 teams in the final top 10 of the BCS poll one of them being us. We played 2 one of them being them. As an Alabama, fan for having another chance to win a title, we could not ask for a better schedule than the one we have.
We didn't have a bye this year. We played Mississippi State right after UcheaT. Then we play LSU.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Another "the league office is in Birmingham so Alabama benefits unfairly." Funny - how then did we get SIX games against opponents with an off week in 2010? I'm assuming the league office is in Birmingham because that was centrally located before expansion in 92.
I read somewhere after the last expansion the geographic center of the SEC was somewhere near Cullman.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
The permanent cross divisional thingy makes me so angry I could chew nails. From 1953 to 1991(38years); with the exception of 1968, 1969, and 1970; LSU, with no gun to their head and no one twisting their arm, played Florida when they made out their own schedules. Wonder why the SEC, in 1992, might have thought they were rivals?

As for Tennessee, there is ONLY ONE FBS team, and it sure as h*** isn't Florida, that has NEVER EVER lost 8 games in a season. That would be Tennessee. There is ONLY ONE SEC team, and it sure as h*** isn't Florida, that is facing, this coming season, for the FIRST TIME IN THEIR HISTORY, a fourth consecutive losing season. That would be Tennessee. I wouldn't bet on them having a losing season, much less losing 8 games.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Re: Five reasons LSU should stick with the SEC

I normally agree with your posts but you are wrong here and we had a bye before the LSU game. When we had that scheduling conflict every day someone would posts here complaining about it. We complained and they changed it. This guy should complain just as we would if the schedules were reversed. I have Crimson colored glasses but not to the point I can't tell when someone has a legitimate beef. LSU played 4 teams in the final top 10 of the BCS poll one of them being us. We played 2 one of them being them. As an Alabama, fan for having another chance to win a title, we could not ask for a better schedule than the one we have.
The bye week was something that could be remedied. It was an issue because it allowed for selective manipulation. The SEC made a rule that went against Alabama in regards to bye weeks as well. Alabama and Auburn moved their bye week after the game, giving them a bye before the SEC championship. The SEC acted to end this practice. I understand both rulings because bye weeks can be manipulative.

The scheduling issue is something that has existed the whole time. Alabama played Tennessee through the Fulmer years, and no one here wanted to leave the SEC over it did they? Fulmer was 155-52 at Tennessee. This was no easy match-up. Tennessee is the 10th ranked all time football program, Florida is the 12th. Florida has a good year and all of the sudden it's some sort of a conspiracy?

No, I'm not buying it. The bye weeks as I said allowed for intentional manipulation and Alabama got caught on both sides of the issue. The rivalry game? The only program with more to complain about than Tennessee is Florida. LSU is the all time 9th ranked program, but ironically I don't hear Florida whining about it either.

The schedules are a fluid thing. For instance, did you know that in the 1990s Alabama played Florida 9 times? 9 times and this wasn't even a rivalry game! LSU, or rather LSU media is trying to manufacture an issue here. Did any of us fans talk about leaving the SEC over the bye week issue? The irony is, what all this talk is ultimately pushing for is a 9 game SEC schedule that will be more difficult for everyone (and would still have rotating games)! As I showed, the SoS difference between LSU this year and Alabama was negligible. It's not a valid complaint because it's something every team in the conference has to periodically deal with.

We've all been there. The schedule comes out and we go oh, that's tough. Or it comes out and we go oh, that's not so bad. Then as the season progresses things change. You can't even tell who will be good or bad in most cases, it is luck of the draw. It always has been, but generally speaking the better teams prove themselves. We know what happened this year, Alabama went on the road and beat LSU. Had they not done that, LSU would probably be playing in the championship game, but Alabama won! The schedule didn't do that, Alabama did.

BamaSully

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
Jackson, TN
Just a friendly comment...a journalist in Baton Rouge wrote an article, the content of which may or may not reflect the feelings and beliefs of any LSU fans, administrators, players, coaches, etc. When we jump on here and make comments like "I can't believe these corndogs...", or "LSU should stop whining...", it is the same thing as if LSU fans took everything Paul Finebaum says to be the unified voice of the Alabama nation.

Just a thought

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Just a friendly comment...a journalist in Baton Rouge wrote an article, the content of which may or may not reflect the feelings and beliefs of any LSU fans, administrators, players, coaches, etc. When we jump on here and make comments like "I can't believe these corndogs...", or "LSU should stop whining...", it is the same thing as if LSU fans took everything Paul Finebaum says to be the unified voice of the Alabama nation.

Just a thought
There you go again, bringing reason to an emotional argument. How dare you!

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
The article sounds like he is saying "Its Christmas, I'm bored so I'll write this article just to stir things up".

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL

Just a thought
Fair enough. As I was typing it, I thought about saying "this corndog" instead of "these". Hindsight is 50/50, or something like that.

KrimsonNinja

All-SEC
Apr 22, 2009
Florida
the Tigers also have to play at Georgia and host Florida, teams that tied for first in the SEC East this past season with 7-1 marks.
Alabama’s two opponents out of the East? Tennessee in Tuscaloosa and Kentucky on the road, teams that went a combined 1-15 in conference play and are breaking in new coaches.
Tennessee is a permanent Eastern opponent. There's not much Alabama can do about it. As for Kentucky, it's called rotation. Again, Alabama doesn't have much control over the Eastern opponents they play every year. Alabama can't control how good their opponents are either.

LSU is saddled with Florida as its permanent opponent, while Alabama has Tennessee.
Tennessee has been Alabama's permanent opponent for many years.

The football scheduling plan comes out of an SEC office in Birmingham, Ala., that fairly or not has long been seen as being too close to the Alabama campus — geographically and philosophically — for the rest of the conference’s good.
"It's a conspiracy I tell ya! They workin' for dem bammers" That's how I perceived this quote.

Instead of crying about what another team is doing, how about they focus on what's best for them? Man up and take the hand you're dealt.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
After reading the 2nd link about why they should stay in the SEC, I realized this is nothing more than him stirring the pot during the Christmas season. Remember when journalism actually meant something?

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
If we put the SEC office in New Orleans, would that make him happy?
No, we just play the Sugar Bowl there... and, of course it was fair when Alabama had to play LSU for the national championship in New Orleans.

It was also fair when Alabama had to go to Atlanta to play Georgia in the SEC championship. They moved it out of Birmingham, ok fine that made sense. But, it was never a conspiracy and it's not a conspiracy against Alabama that they have to play the SECCG and the Sugar Bowl outside the state of Alabama. It's just typical grass is always greener stuff.

Last edited:

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
Other than the Bama game in Tuscaloosa, LSU went thru their SEC schedule like a knife thru hot butter last season. This year Florida is a big surprise and Bama pulls out a last minute win against them. 2 SEC regular season losses in 2 years is so unfair! You know! That equals Bama's regular season losses the past 2 years! We are both being screwed!!! ;)

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011

Just a thought
Agree....though LSU has said that they want to stop playing Florida every year.
(Just a note....Tennessee has historically been much better than Florida).

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
When it comes down to it, Alabama had to play Tennessee every year when they were a powerhouse in the 1990s and early 2000s. Complaining about permenant rivals is idiotic. It's not like we're asking to play Vanderbilt every year, we're playing a program with the capacity to contend but has not lately.

The ultimate problem is the 8-game schedule which Alabama is the only vocal supporter of expanding the conference schedule. If people want to complain about scheduling unbalance, then they need to consider what is their school's stance on schedule expansion first before opening their mouths. There is a reason why we're still playing 8 games which makes no sense with a permanent interdivisional rival and it's because most schools refuse to play one more SEC game in favor of a gimme home game...and we know Saban (therefore Mal Moore) disagree.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.