Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Question For The Coach Bryant Era Fans (About Moving Jobs)

I only caught the very tail end of the Coach Bryant era, although even that was pretty glorious. But having read just one too many articles about the annual CNS rumors, I have a question for those who remember most or even all of it:

Were there ever rumors about Coach Bryant leaving for somewhere else - and was it a common thing?

From numerous biographies, I DO know that CPB seriously considered moving to the Miami Dolphins to become their inaugural head coach back in the mid-1960s; even Bryant admitted that. But was there ever a period of time where there were annual rumors ("this year he's going to the Steelers, Bears, or Michigan State" or whatever)?

I realize it's not a precise parallel. Bryant played here, Saban did not. Bryant was not on tape making a bold declaration about his intentions, Saban is. But even in the day it's not like Bryant spent very long at his jobs. He was at Maryland for one year, Kentucky for eight, and then aTm for four. So it would make sense that around 1965 or so - right after winning three national titles in five years - he would be a much sought after coach.

But did that ever happen? Anyone?
    I'll always look back as I walk away
    This memory will last for eternity
    And all of our tears will be lost in the rain
    Til I find my way back to your arms again

Only a few people in the world have the ability to remember everything. I'm one of them. Pick any day of my life, and I can tell you what I saw or heard.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: Question For The Coach Bryant Era Fans (About Moving Jobs)

Well, he had reasons for job hopping other than for money or to move up the ladder. He had some dispute with the president of the University of Maryland concerning control of the team and quit. He was at Kentucky for eight years and left because he didn't like playing second fiddle to Rupp. I think he interviewed for the Bama job when they hired Whitworth. Anyway, he left Kentucky due to basketball and went to Texas A&M and then left there when "Mamma called".

BamaNation First Team Im_on_dsp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    I only caught the very tail end of the Coach Bryant era, although even that was pretty glorious. But having read just one too many articles about the annual CNS rumors, I have a question for those who remember most or even all of it:

Were there ever rumors about Coach Bryant leaving for somewhere else - and was it a common thing?

From numerous biographies, I DO know that CPB seriously considered moving to the Miami Dolphins to become their inaugural head coach back in the mid-1960s; even Bryant admitted that. But was there ever a period of time where there were annual rumors ("this year he's going to the Steelers, Bears, or Michigan State" or whatever)?

I realize it's not a precise parallel. Bryant played here, Saban did not. Bryant was not on tape making a bold declaration about his intentions, Saban is. But even in the day it's not like Bryant spent very long at his jobs. He was at Maryland for one year, Kentucky for eight, and then aTm for four. So it would make sense that around 1965 or so - right after winning three national titles in five years - he would be a much sought after coach.

But did that ever happen? Anyone?
    It was the Tampa Bay Bucs, not the Dolphins and it was because Hugh Culverhouse, the original owner of the Bucs was a personal friend. Also, at the time, Bama was in a lull, having had several lackluster years in a row (anyone else remember the Scott Hunter years?). Other than that I don't remember any other rumors.

BamaNation First Team

When Bear was older there were rumors every year during the height of recruiting that he was going to retire.

BamaNation All-American banjeaux's Avatar
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post

From numerous biographies, I DO know that CPB seriously considered moving to the Miami Dolphins to become their inaugural head coach back in the mid-1960s; even Bryant admitted that.
    Coach Bryant was at home in Tuscaloosa. IMO, Mary Harmon had the deciding vote. "Mama called" may have been Mrs. Bryant saying, "Take me back to Alabama."
    Oh, Susanna. Oh, don't you cry for me, for I come from Alabama with a banjeaux on my knee. G'wan to Louisiana my true love for to see.

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Im_on_dsp View Post
    It was the Tampa Bay Bucs, not the Dolphins and it was because Hugh Culverhouse, the original owner of the Bucs was a personal friend. Also, at the time, Bama was in a lull, having had several lackluster years in a row (anyone else remember the Scott Hunter years?). Other than that I don't remember any other rumors.
    I respectfully disagree - although I'm guessing it's possible he was in line for both.

Tampa's franchise didn't exist until the mid-1970s, and I don't think we can say the Tide had several lackluster years in a row in the 1970s. We did around the time of Hunter, dropping off 1967-70.

I don't claim to know, but I could swear he was in the running for the Dolphins job the first two times it was open (but I wasn't here, so....).
    I'll always look back as I walk away
    This memory will last for eternity
    And all of our tears will be lost in the rain
    Til I find my way back to your arms again

Only a few people in the world have the ability to remember everything. I'm one of them. Pick any day of my life, and I can tell you what I saw or heard.

BamaNation All-SEC

Yes, there were various rumors about him going to the pros, late 60s and early 70s. There were also rumored runs for governor, that would have obviously ended his coaching career. From sometime in the early 70s there was the annual rumor about how Coach Bryant would retire before the incoming class ever finished. I do not recall ever hearing anything about possible moves to other college programs, though.
    Roll Tide

BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by banjeaux View Post
    Coach Bryant was at home in Tuscaloosa. IMO, Mary Harmon had the deciding vote. "Mama called" may have been Mrs. Bryant saying, "Take me back to Alabama."
    Hopefully Mama is telling Saban to stay here for a long time.

Suspended
    My Mood
    Angelic on TideFans.com

It was the Dolphins, and Coach Bryant did not have to address these issues yearly - it was a different time and different media

Quote Originally Posted by TrueGritnPluck View Post
    It was the Dolphins, and Coach Bryant did not have to address these issues yearly - it was a different time and different media
    I agree with this. There were a couple of times, but it wasn't an every-year, ESPN grasping for a story line, type of thing that it is with Saban. Bryant could have received offers every year - and probably did - but we just didn't know about it...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

BamaNation First Team 1958againbear's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TrueGritnPluck View Post
    Yes the Dolphins. He was offered but when he refused Don Shula got the job. There may have been something later with Tampa Bay. He was good friends with Culverhouse and recommended that he go get John McKay at USC, another good friend. Bear was quite the celebrity by the late 60s, hobnobbing with Wellington Mara of the NY Giants and others (he probably had a chance at that job at some point). This period coincided with our late 60s downturn and there was some real disgruntlement that he was spending too much time being a celebrity and not enough time with Alabama football. Once he made his mind up to stay at Bama and turn down Joe Robbie and the Dolphins, then he rededicated himself to Bama football, decided we couldn't win with a wide open drop back passing game at that time, went to see Darrell Royal at Texas during the summer, and secretly installed the wishbone during fall camp. Our first game we upset preseason #1 USC in LA (one of Bear's great upsets and the year after Sam the Bam Cunningham). Bama was back and the rest is history, unfortunately including the OB loss to Nebraska. But we did whip the undefeated boogs and Sullivan-Beasley along the way 31-7 (hmmm...seems like that would be a good score over ND in the BCS).

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Yesterday in the Tuscaloosa News in their "50 years ago today" column they said that Coach Bryant shot down the rumors that he was leaving Alabama.
    That would have been 1962....so, the more things change the more they remain the same.
    Bama 879-315-44 72.7% On the field

24 SEC CHAMPIONSHIPS

And everyone else hoping that he will leave to end his dominance.
    "Never stand and take a charge. Charge them back!"--Nathan Bedford Forrest