Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BamaNation All-American

Re: Question For The Coach Bryant Era Fans (About Moving Jobs)

Coach Bryant had to deal with other coaches telling recruits and their parents he was going to retire throughout the 70's. They used age against him and that will happen with Coach Saban more often the longer he stays.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation First Team 1958againbear's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CullmanTide View Post
    Coach Bryant had to deal with other coaches telling recruits and their parents he was going to retire throughout the 70's. They used age against him and that will happen with Coach Saban more often the longer he stays.
    I'm sure that Dye never used this tactic against us when he took over for the boogs during Bear's last two years. Yeah, right.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

BamaNation First Team CrimsonPaul's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

The story going around about Coach Bryant and Miami, as he was also the AD the only way he would take the Miami job was that he could talk Royal or McKay into taking the Alabama job. He couldn't so he didn't go.
    " If you stick your head above the crowd, you're going to have people trying to knock it off." -Coach Paul Bryant

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonPaul View Post
    The story going around about Coach Bryant and Miami, as he was also the AD the only way he would take the Miami job was that he could talk Royal or McKay into taking the Alabama job. He couldn't so he didn't go.
    Yes I do remember this being part of it. He wouldn't leave without someone of his stature taking over; hence Royal or McKay who happened also to be his good friends.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Never heard that part. Would have been interesting to see how that worked out.

Sad to say, I doubt Bryant would have done any better than McKay in Tampa. His health was declining in the late 1970s and losing may have made his drinking even worse.

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

I came across this today called "The Bear: The Life and Times of Paul 'Bear' Bryant."

http://books.google.com/books?id=LTg...lphins&f=false

It tells (starting on page 161, check if you have a free preview) that Bryant was talking in a bar in New Orleans days before the 1980 Sugar Bowl and going over what happened. Bryant says the Atlanta Falcons wanted him in 1966, and he told them he wasn't staying in any town with Furman Bisher. He then went on to observe that he packed a lunch every time he went to Atlanta just to keep from spending money in their local economy. He also says he was offered a chance to "buy into" the Jets, but the Jets told him to invest his money in the Miami Dolphins.

Bryant then says that in 1969 he had a serious offer from Joe Robbie - so serious the contract was already drawn up and CPB conferred with Joe Namath for information on each of the Dolphins players. Bryant then says the school President (Mathews) was all behind him going, but wanted him to find a better replacement for himself - which meant he had to stay at Alabama. It's sort of a joke but also serious, and Bryant then goes on to say that the Dolphins did all right with Shula at the helm.

(Some of you might be interested in his follow-up comments that he foresees the 1980 team as being talented but undisicplined).
    I'll always look back as I walk away
    This memory will last for eternity
    And all of our tears will be lost in the rain
    Til I find my way back to your arms again

Only a few people in the world have the ability to remember everything. I'm one of them. Pick any day of my life, and I can tell you what I saw or heard.

BamaNation All-American

I grew up in Tuscaloosa, lived there for a lot of the glory years --1959 to 1985, with a couple of hiatuses -- and am told on good authority that he actually accepted the Dolphins job, then backed out for reasons cited above.

I remember lots of rumors about a lot of stuff, mainly having to do with political office. But little or nothing about leaving for another college or pro job.

A few possible reasons for that are:
    1. No Internet, and only three major television outlets. For all practical purposes, talk radio didn't exist. Hard to conceive now, but there just wasn't as much information out there.

2. Because there weren't as many outlets, there weren't as many braying voices trying to attract a part of an audience with an increasingly short attention span. So incendiary stories with shaky bases just didn't happen nearly so much (Furman Bisher / SEP exception noted).

3. Again, hard to imagine now, but journalists of that day really truly didn't write everything they knew. They respected a professional relationship, and didn't betray confidences. I'm sure Bryant had offers that never made it into the public sphere.

4. The money wasn't as great, even allowing for inflation. So there wasn't as much incentive to leave. Your financial position just wouldn't be all that stinkin' much better.

5. It was more about the wins and losses, and the chance to win championships. And where do you have a better hence to win championships than Tuscaloosa?

In short, it was just a different day and time, with different ways and ethics around the dissemination of sensitive information.
    Last edited by 4Q Basket Case; December 25th, 2012 at 09:16 PM.
    Undefeated World Champion Threadkiller

BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    Bryant then goes on to say that the Dolphins did all right with Shula at the helm.
    Better than we did.

This is the accurate post on Coach Bryant,other than this,he was never interested in leaving Bama.
    OLDTIDE SAYS ROLL TIDE
    TO ALL BAMA FANS

I came across this today called "The Bear: The Life and Times of Paul 'Bear' Bryant."

It tells (starting on page 161, check if you have a free preview) that Bryant was talking in a bar in New Orleans days before the 1980 Sugar Bowl and going over what happened. Bryant says the Atlanta Falcons wanted him in 1966, and he told them he wasn't staying in any town with Furman Bisher. He then went on to observe that he packed a lunch every time he went to Atlanta just to keep from spending money in their local economy. He also says he was offered a chance to "buy into" the Jets, but the Jets told him to invest his money in the Miami Dolphins.

Bryant then says that in 1969 he had a serious offer from Joe Robbie - so serious the contract was already drawn up and CPB conferred with Joe Namath for information on each of the Dolphins players. Bryant then says the school President (Mathews) was all behind him going, but wanted him to find a better replacement for himself - which meant he had to stay at Alabama. It's sort of a joke but also serious, and Bryant then goes on to say that the Dolphins did all right with Shula at the helm.

(Some of you might be interested in his follow-up comments that he foresees the 1980 team as being talented but undisicplined).
    I think you might be talking about CPB's autobiography written with John Underwood, the great writer from Sports Illustrated called Bear: The Hard Life and Good Times of Alabama's Coach. It's a terrific and definitive book, candid and provocative and Underwood does a masterful job of writing in CPB's voice. The Miami Dolphins were the only team, according to the Coach, that almost convinced him to leave the Capstone. Namath encouraged him. The Dolphins were up and coming with talented young players like Bob Griese, Larry Czonka and Nick Buoniconti and Joe Robbie wanted to pay him a lot of money.

Grab a copy of this book if you want to learn about the Bryant years from the Coaches mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by Tidetwin View Post
    I think you might be talking about CPB's autobiography written with John Underwood, the great writer from Sports Illustrated called Bear: The Hard Life and Good Times of Alabama's Coach. It's a terrific and definitive book, candid and provocative and Underwood does a masterful job of writing in CPB's voice. The Miami Dolphins were the only team, according to the Coach, that almost convinced him to leave the Capstone. Namath encouraged him. The Dolphins were up and coming with talented young players like Bob Griese, Larry Czonka and Nick Buoniconti and Joe Robbie wanted to pay him a lot of money.

Grab a copy of this book if you want to learn about the Bryant years from the Coaches mouth.
    This book is must reading for EVERY Tide fan of every generation. Underwood was a great writer and it's a terrific well written autobiography. I know this dates me but my wife went to one of Bear's book signings when it first came out and got me an autographed copy (for Christmas as I remember). A great gift that I'll always cherish.

BamaNation All-American Bama-94-00's Avatar

ThumbsUp Re: Question For The Coach Bryant Era Fans (About Moving Jobs)

Does not matter much, but the cover of that book says The Bear: The Legendary Life of Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant. That looks like a good book and not overly long at about 190 pages long.

BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I listened to the rumors of Coach Bryant going to retire...
    Coach Bryant going to the Dallas Cowboys...
    Coach Bryant going to the Miami Dolphins...

Just like today rumors link Coach Saban to every conceivable opening.
    Many of these rumors are started and hyped by recruiting rivals.
    Rumors are started by fans of the Pro teams that want something to happen.

I view these rumors as a sign of our success.
    (Notice there are no rumors of Chizik going to Cleveland...)