Question For The Coach Bryant Era Fans (About Moving Jobs)

bama61

1st Team
Aug 24, 2004
North Alabama
Coach Bryant felt a lifelong gratitude for Coach Crisp recruiting (rescuing) him out of Moro Bottom - and Coach Bryant had Crisp's back the rest of his life. Interestingly, a few years earlier, Coach Crisp tried to recruit my dad. He saw him playing semipro baseball. He was sizable, 6'2" 200lb and a very good athlete. Believe it or not, that was really big back then. There were a couple of problems. Dad was already 23 years old and he had a two year old son. (He was a very young widower.) Also, he'd never completed high school. Those would be no problems. Child care wouldn't be a problem and UA would put him in TCHS for a year (don't think there was but one back then). (Remember how much looser rules were back then.) Makes me wonder how our family history would have turned out. Probably dad would have married some coed, rather than my mom, and I wouldn't even be writing this... :D
Similar story in my family as well, my father started his college years at Florida on football scholarship, but left there by request of the university after an embroglio in a bar in Jacksonville in the spring of his freshman year. He then enrolled at Bama, and according to him the first person to look him up was Hank Crisp who walked into his room while he was still unpacking. Dad said that Crisp didn't discuss football, scholarships or anything else, just told him to where to draw equipment and what time to report for practice. According to him when he told Crisp that he wasn't going to play football, Crisp looked in the eye and told him "Then son, you'll never graduate from the University of Alabama" and walked out. According to my father, Crisp was damn near right and that if it wasn't for Dr Miriam Locke he probably wouldn't have graduated.

As was the case with Earle's father, Dad was over sized for the era, just shy of 6' 4" and over 200 pounds.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.