***OT Brandon Hill recommits to Alabama***

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I doubt that such a letter exists. I've never heard of it before now. Bobby Massie did the exact oppsite. He signed with us on signing day and then went to Hargrave, but ended up at Ole Sis a year later. If there was a letter, why did we not not invoke it with Massie?

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
I doubt that such a letter exists. I've never heard of it before now. Bobby Massie did the exact oppsite. He signed with us on signing day and then went to Hargrave, but ended up at Ole Sis a year later. If there was a letter, why did we not not invoke it with Massie?
Plus, why would we have waited until now to invoke such a letter? Would'nt we have let this be known when he first said he was signing w/Ole Miss? Too strange.

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
It may be that you're just not old enough. It sounds to me like the old SEC letter on intent was never deleted from the conference rules
Interesting stuff. From my understanding, current NCAA rules would override any conference rules that bind a player to a particular conference school before the official signing date. Even LOI's aren't valid until the signing date.

I could see a rule that restricts schools from signing a player that was previously committed to another conference school, but that would be something that would apply to conference schools and not anything a player would sign.

Are schools allowed to add binding language or documents beyond the standard LOI?

All I can think of is maybe a special situation due to prep school ?

Last edited:

bama61

1st Team
Aug 24, 2004
North Alabama
Ok, you guys have made me work and basically being lazy, I hate it. It seems that the old early signing date (football) for the SEC existed up until 1981! :wink:

"National signing day is usually on the first Wednesday in February. Until 1981, several college football conferences, including the Southeastern Conference (SEC) and Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC), held conference signing days on the second Saturday in December to have recruits sign conference letters-of-intent."

SEC Early Signing Date

As for the Massie issue, the point of my referring to that was not to draw a parallel between the two commitments but rather to point out what appears to me to be a bit of oneupmanship although there are some parallels.

I'm just hypothesizing that the old SEC LOI was never taken off the books and someone on the Alabama staff discovered it and put it to use, not for early signing purposes but rather to put Hill off limits to other SEC schools. Look for and SEC rule change if this is the case.

Last edited:

bama61

1st Team
Aug 24, 2004
North Alabama
Interesting stuff. From my understanding, current NCAA rules would override any conference rules that bind a player to a particular conference school before the official signing date. Even LOI's aren't valid until the signing date.

I could see a rule that restricts schools from signing a player that was previously committed to another conference school, but that would be something that would apply to conference schools and not anything a player would sign.

Are schools allowed to add binding language or documents beyond the standard LOI?

All I can think of is maybe a special situation due to prep school ?

You're correct in my opinion as to early signing. However, remember that Hill signed a national LOI with Alabama last February. My supposition is later on when he proved to be ineligible and was going to go to prep school would have been the more likely point to have him sign the old SEC LOI.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
It may be that you're just not old enough. It sounds to me like the old SEC letter on intent was never deleted from the conference rules. Earle may wish to comment on this and perhaps set me straight, but from my memory for years the SEC had an early signing date that was binding only within conference. SEC schools could and did sign prospects to the SEC LOI on or after the first Wednesday in December and that LOI had the same effect as described in the linked article.

The player could not be signed by another SEC school, but remained fair game for schools outside the SEC. The NCAA did away with the conference signing dates some time in the 1960's I believe, but apparently the conference LOI was never taken out of the conference rules. If this is the case, there is a certain irony in Coach Saban nailing Ole Miss with this ploy, given the Massie thing.

Earle, can you clarify or debunk this? :conf2:
Wow, it must go back a ways if I`m not old enough considering I just turned 65!

mariettatider

BamaNation Citizen
Jul 18, 2009
Pretty sure Bobby Massie did not sign with anyone out of HS.

mariettatider

BamaNation Citizen
Jul 18, 2009
Pretty sure Bobby Massie did not sign with anyone out of HS.
I decided to not be lazy:

Massie is ranked as the nation’s No. 1 prospect out of prep schools, according to Rivals. He plays at Virginia’s Hargrave Military and is also considering Alabama, North Carolina, Ole Miss, and Miami.
Last year, he did something very interesting as a high school senior. He turned heads when he didn’t commit or pick a college by signing day. He had plenty of major-college offers, and had backed off a commitment to Virginia Tech only a month before signing day.

http://blogs.ajc.com/georgia-footba...uiting-101-bobby-massie-got-some-good-advice/

Last edited:

Bamalawdawg

3rd Team
Dec 28, 2011
The LOI is good for a year. He can't sign with Ole Miss or anyone else until Feb. He doesn't need to "sign" with Bama, as he already did this cycle. It appears Bama won't release him to enroll in Ole Miss this semester.

His choice - Bama now or Ole Miss in the summer. That is unless a school allowed studets to enroll after Feb. Even Ole Miss won't let you skip the first 4 weeks of classes.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
If this is a LOI rule, it makes perfect sense consider that stupid signing limit. You can only sign 25 guys, no matter if they end up enrolling or not. So, it's only fair that they can't basically steal one of your slots, keeping others from being able to play at Alabama (and others did want to of course) and then go to another SEC school instead.

I hope this doesn't mean anything bad in terms of how recruiting is going in other areas though.

BAMAfan777

1st Team
Jun 25, 2010
Holy geez is Bama going BIG on the O-Line, literally.

Out of the four recruit commits this year, the shortest one is 6 foot 5 inches.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.