Will Alabama and ND helmets have a remembrance for Newton, CT victims?

davidjanet

Dec 17, 2012
I thought this might be a good idea to remember the victims for the children, teachers, and administrators who were fatally wounded.

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
I'm not sure we should. I know how that might sound to many and by no means do I mean to detract from how tragic of an event this was (My wife is a teacher in my kids elementary school) but by the time we play several weeks will have passed and I'm just not 100% sure it would be appropriate. It's a tough call between letting those families know that we are thinking of them and prolonging/saturating their sorrow by keeping it in the spotlight.

davidjanet

Dec 17, 2012
I can see your point of prolonging /saturating their sorrow. I'm looking at it as keeping this in the forefront of the public venue to thinking of the families, but to keep this on the front burner to solving this problem. Society will not forget this tragic incident, continue to put pressure on politicians to try and find solutions. Unfortunetly our society has a tendency to forget events like this, because other news will get put on the frontburner.

OreBama

All-American
Sep 26, 2005
Portland, OR
Since Bama and ND have no connection to Connecticut, I'd say "no". It was tragic and I was/am disturbed about the incident, but that doesn't mean we have to commemorate it in our National Championship game.

Vinny

Hall of Fame
Sep 27, 2001
Rockaway, NJ
I don't see that happening. It is a sad story, but it doesn't pertain to the teams playing in the game.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I can see your point of prolonging /saturating their sorrow. I'm looking at it as keeping this in the forefront of the public venue to thinking of the families, but to keep this on the front burner to solving this problem. Society will not forget this tragic incident, continue to put pressure on politicians to try and find solutions. Unfortunetly our society has a tendency to forget events like this, because other news will get put on the frontburner.
Should we remember the Alamo on the helmets of football players at the National Championship Game? Gettysburg? The USS Maine? Pearl Harbor, the Battle of the Bulge? the Tet Offensive? the Oklahoma City Bombing? The Branch Davidians in Waco? September 11th (the 2001 events, not the 2012 events), etc., etc.? Where do you draw the line without offending whomever you exclude?
Leave football to football, and leave these poor children and teachers to rest in peace.

Should we remember the Alamo on the helmets of football players at the National Championship Game? Gettysburg? The USS Maine? Pearl Harbor, the Battle of the Bulge? the Tet Offensive? the Oklahoma City Bombing? The Branch Davidians in Waco? September 11th (the 2001 events, not the 2012 events), etc., etc.? Where do you draw the line without offending whomever you exclude?
Leave football to football, and leave these poor children and teachers to rest in peace.
Until it happens again right?

BamaGoose

Suspended
Dec 7, 1999
Meridianville, Al.
Man the newbie's and the threads being started..

When would it ever end with paying homage to an event? Do the schools put a decal on their helmets for the pending fiscal cliff?

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
I feel kind of torn about that sort of thing. Most of these crimes are perpetrated by a loon wanting to make headlines, why help him grab them?

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
Hopefully, the 7th will be a night of football, plain and simple. That's what I hope, at least.

Huckleberry

All-American
Nov 9, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
No, please. One event has absolutely nothing to do with the other. The politicization of that horror is bad enough already. Must every child that watches that game be reminded of what terrible things can happen at school? Sadly, there is no quick and easy answer to the problem that troubles us all. I teach elementary school and would be in favor of virtually any realistic measure that would end such shootings. I don't see how a sticker on a helmet or a patch on a jersey will help. If anyone would like to discuss this on the non-sports forum, I'd be more than willing to do so. However, I'd like to watch the game without a constant reminder of the deaths of all those children, especially when doing so serves no purpose.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.