VaTech Player Uses Bowl Issued Best Buy Gift Card on Less Fortunate Kids

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Really great story here. Props to him. Link here

As part of the swag for earning a bid to theRussell Athletic Bowl, each Hokies player was given, among other things, a $470 gift card to Best Buy. Monday afternoon, Exum and some of his teammates headed out to an Orlando Best Buy for a shopping spree on the bowl’s dime.

At the store, the redshirt junior cornerback noticed three young boys — kids he had never met, incidentally — which set the giving-not-receiving wheels in motion. After initially picking out items for himself, Exum ultimately put the gadgets back and began a search for the kids. Upon finding them, he floored ‘em with a simple gesture: “I got this money and I want you to go shopping and get what you want,” the player told the kids, who the Orlando Sentinel reports are two brothers and a cousin from the Bahamas and just happened to be in the country for the holidays.

And that’s exactly what Santa Exum and the kids did, with the young trio ultimately settling on a PlayStation 3 and a Blackberry phone. The kids wanted some games for the PS3 as well so, with his $470 gift card nearly maxed out, Exum enlisted the help of teammates Tariq Edwards and Marcus Davis, who gave up what was left on their respective cards to the kids.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
What a great gesture. There are a lot of good young people like him doing the right thing and it's nice to hear about it instead of negative things.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
What an incredible story. Hats off to this young man, because he just did what 99.9% of the rest of the world wouldn't have even thought about doing. What a generous and classy move.

Toddrn

All-American
Nov 29, 2006
Woodstock, Ga
What would have really been great if he had kept this to himself and not felt the need to pat himself on the back and put this out there for everyone to know about.

Tider4653golf

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 29, 2010
What would have really been great if he had kept this to himself and not felt the need to pat himself on the back and put this out there for everyone to know about.
With everything that is wrong in college football today, don't bash a kid for doing a good deed and posting it on twitter! Orlando Sentinel ran the story in the paper.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
One of life's best lessons is "It's better to give than to receive" and how magnificent is it when the lesson soaks in like this? What a great story.

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
With so much negativity in the press these days, I am glad to see 1) a kid doing good things with his good fortune, and 2) that the media found out about it and covered it. Stories like this NEED to be in the news.

I hope this story prompts others to do the same.

Roll Tide!

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
What an awesome story, love to read things like this. With all the negative press these young men get nowadays, it's great to hear about some of the good ones (of which there are many).

Props to Exum and his teammates.

Toddrn

All-American
Nov 29, 2006
Woodstock, Ga
And just how do you know what made this come to light? Oh yeah, you don't...
This is how I know, "Before they parted ways, Exum took a picture of the four of them and posted it on Twitter". All I'm saying is that sometimes you do things to make yourself feel good and the whole world does not need to know about it. But like some of you have said maybe others will see this and do the same thing. RTR

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
This is how I know, "Before they parted ways, Exum took a picture of the four of them and posted it on Twitter". All I'm saying is that sometimes you do things to make yourself feel good and the whole world does not need to know about it. But like some of you have said maybe others will see this and do the same thing. RTR
Do these posts make you feel as good about yourself as the player feels about doing this one act of kindness?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.