News Article: Good Article on Tebow, for all the Haters

Status
Not open for further replies.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
For those of us who grew up in the church, anytime we see religious ostentation, particularly in recent years, with all the false idols, we tend to think of Luke 28:9-14 (Pharisee and the publican and praying in public).

OreBama

All-American
Sep 26, 2005
Portland, OR
I like Tebow. Always have. I don't understand all the vitriol towards him. He's just a guy that wants to be a starting NFL QB. I agree that we may know too much about him, but that's our fault as much as his.

CaptainTide

Scout Team
Apr 16, 2011
Mobile, AL
I've always been a fan of Tebow, naturally not when he was playing us, but he's a genuinely great guy and I hate all the hate for him. Best of luck to him, really.

I find it highly ironic, by the way, that Tebow got out-played by McElroy in the SECCG in 2009, then they ended up on the same NFL team, and McElroy took his job. :biggrin2:

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
I like Tebow. Always have. I don't understand all the vitriol towards him. He's just a guy that wants to be a starting NFL QB. I agree that we may know too much about him, but that's our fault as much as his.
Agree...

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
For those of us who grew up in the church, anytime we see religious ostentation, particularly in recent years, with all the false idols, we tend to think of Luke 28:9-14 (Pharisee and the publican and praying in public).
I think that's Luke 18:9-14 but that was my point on my view and I think the viewpoint of some people that are bothered by the guy.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Tim Tebow is a pretty good Wildcat QB. He's big and can run.
Tim has terrible passing mechanics. He generally drops his hand near his knees in a
wind up motion every time he attempts anything other than a jump pass.
He's had that problem since high school.

I don't have a problem with Tim professing his faith, but there is a time and a place for everything.
He sometimes comes off like he was on 'The Jim and Tammy Faye Show'...

Back to the QB thing...
There is an old football term for a QB with poor passing skills.
The term is: EX-QUARTERBACK.

The Jets invested way too much money in Tebow, for the projected return.
Same goes for Mark Sanchez... His time is past.
The Jets are a train wreck and who knows what's going to happen in this post season soap opera.
I predict a new coach, Sanchez gone, Tebow maybe, if Greg is lucky they will clean house
and let him leave too.
The New York Jets are a case study in mismanagement.

Last edited:

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Thankyou for that comment.

When Tebow was a junior at Florida, he threatened to go pro early unless his Dad could get donations to his church. As this was against NCAA rules, he needed a special exemption from them to basically allow his father to accept donations based on his son's popularity. The NCAA made a special case for him, he stayed, and his Dad's church was able to take donations from Tebow/Florida fans.

That confirmed my longstanding belief that sometimes when you have someone wearing their religon as a badge, you better watch your wallet.

There was a similar situation at Auburn involving a quarterback and church donations recently, some might recall.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Thankyou for that comment.

When Tebow was a junior at Florida, he threatened to go pro early unless his Dad could get donations to his church. As this was against NCAA rules, he needed a special exemption from them to basically allow his father to accept donations based on his son's popularity. The NCAA made a special case for him, he stayed, and his Dad's church was able to take donations from Tebow/Florida fans.

That confirmed my longstanding belief that sometimes when you have someone wearing their religon as a badge, you better watch your wallet.

There was a similar situation at Auburn involving a quarterback and church donations recently, some might recall.
People forget this, amongst other things.

Let's just look over how we Alabama fans should view this.

Tebow spurned Alabama to play for Florida. This, after Tebow was seen wearing an Alabama hat and that sort of thing. We could easily feel like Tebow played us, but I personally never held that against him. We also know that Tebow chose Meyer, who is hard to see as a good guy, over Shula who if nothing else was a good guy. While that was probably a wise choice, did it show high moral character?

For most of his Florida career he did appear to be an excellent individual, but the incident you mentioned really was a black eye on his reputation in my mind. I do not mind his faith, I mind his TV evangelist approach and extorting money in the way he did was as disrespectful to his religion as anything else. But, the more we learned about Florida under Urban Meyer, the more I think it changes the whole Tebow at Florida perception. He was portrayed as this perfect guy, but we now know that Meyer had several of these preferred people who he did give preferential treatment to, even when they did not warrant it. We know Tebow was in the midst of this so how do we know if did no wrong, or simply could do no wrong?

Tebow almost won me over with his run at Denver. Everyone knew that Denver had a good defense and the like, but his heroics were noteworthy. But, that tarnished fairly soon. His fourth quarter heroics also begged the question of whether he really just has this hero gene, or if he just didn't give 100% the rest of the time. The whole thing fell apart pretty fast and he lost 5 out of his last 6 games including some dreadful performances.

Tebow's time in NY started off well with tremendous exposure and Tebow saying the right things. But, as time progressed more came out about Tebow not being the perfect guy in practice and all of that. This culminated in Tebow reportedly refusing to be the wildcat QB after he Gmac took the starting job, and then apparently trying to unquit later in the week. To me, this really sums up the whole thing and made up my mind about him. We Alabama fans know Gmac's work ethic and professionalism, and apparently this did stand in contrast to how Tebow handled himself. Tebow wasn't even played at wildcat, and there has to be a reason for this. I can only point the blame at Tebow himself, because he appears to have worn out his welcome in New York.

I don't think Tebow is a terrible guy, but he's been given far more credit and respect that he deserves and it seems to have gone to his head. Someone pointed out earlier that he doesn't even come close to Peyton... well his jerseys were outselling Peyton right? I'm guessing Tebow still has it in his head that he was the right QB for Denver, and I guess the fans and their Tebow worship are partly to blame.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I'm afraid this has turned into a NS/pro football thread. I think we'll close for now. I'm sure there will be more chapters to come... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.