Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Nick Saban Better than Coach Bryant with win?

http://outkickthecoverage.com/nick-s...ear-bryant.php

This is a Clay Travis article discussing what a win would mean for Coach Saban's legacy.

Roll Tide.

2. Advertisement
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: Nick Saban Better than Coach Bryant with win?

Quote Originally Posted by RollTide1224 View Post
    http://outkickthecoverage.com/nick-s...ear-bryant.php

This is a Clay Travis article discussing what a win would mean for Coach Saban's legacy.

Roll Tide.
    Clay Travis doesn't write articles. He writes garbage-filled opinionated blog posts.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Clay Travis doesn't write articles. He writes garbage-filled opinionated blog posts.
    My bad you want to change the thread title?...oh wait

I actually thought the "article" had some decent information.

Suspended
    My Mood
    Shocked on TideFans.com

Good "article". Thanks for the post.

RTR

I wasn't able to understand and enjoy the years under Coach Bryant as I was only six when he died. What I know about Coach I have read, watched and listened to learn. I've spent many, many hours reading and studying Coach and learning about his legacy and what he accomplished. He was the unquestioned greatest of them all.

This article is really interesting because some of my friends and I have been discussing this very point recently. What CNS has built here is truly phenomenal and there are some big names beginning to talk about this with the same outcome. Firmer Bryant players and assistants are talking about the talent on our roster is unprecedented in the sport, much less just Alabama.

It takes time and distance to create the perspective to accurately judge an era and right now we should just be enjoying it.

CNS could win 5 more titles and he still could not hold a candle to THE coach for a guy who grew up in Bama in the 60s and 70s. You sorta had to be there. JMHO.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Displaced Bama Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dvldog View Post
    CNS could win 5 more titles and he still could not hold a candle to THE coach for a guy who grew up in Bama in the 60s and 70s. You sorta had to be there. JMHO.
    He's still pretty darned good though and I wouldn't trade him for anything at this point.

It seems like I remember a that a thread like this about Coach Bryant may be against the rules.
    Bama 867-314-44 72.6% On the field

23 SEC CHAMPIONSHIPS

I think that winning his 3rd Title in 4 years and 4th overall gets him closer. CNS will obviously not reach the Bear's total of SEC Championships and Total wins. But I'd say if CNS at least ties the Bear at 6 NC's an argument could be made that Saban is better.

You have to remember that Bryant could have way more scholly players on the roster than Saban can now. Bryant would do that a lot of the time to keep teams like UT from getting those players. So he stocked piled talent and coached in a time where there was not the level of Parity in football that there is now. It also took him what?...25 years to win those 6 Titles. Saban might reached 6 NC's in a 15 yr time frame in a time where the SEC is the way more difficult to come through unscathed plus the SECCG that can knock you out of a Title chance.

So I'd say yeah....If CNS can tie the Bear at 6 NC's....when Saban has had to reach that accomplishment in a much more competitive landscape that maybe just maybe he is better than Bear Bryant.

Quote Originally Posted by Displaced Bama Fan View Post
    He's still pretty darned good though and I wouldn't trade him for anything at this point.
    No argument there. RTR.

BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Dallas4Bama View Post
    I wasn't able to understand and enjoy the years under Coach Bryant as I was only six when he died. What I know about Coach I have read, watched and listened to learn. I've spent many, many hours reading and studying Coach and learning about his legacy and what he accomplished. He was the unquestioned greatest of them all.

This article is really interesting because some of my friends and I have been discussing this very point recently. What CNS has built here is truly phenomenal and there are some big names beginning to talk about this with the same outcome. Firmer Bryant players and assistants are talking about the talent on our roster is unprecedented in the sport, much less just Alabama.

It takes time and distance to create the perspective to accurately judge an era and right now we should just be enjoying it.
    Great post.

Although I wasn't alive during the Bryant times to fully understood but I too think it's worth a discussion if he wins this one. Maybe I'm being premature assuming future success based on how we are set up now, but to me there's a legit argument.

There careers are going to be different because of the time Bryant was here but I think coach saban could surpass and certainly stand as equal with Bryant when viewed years later.

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar
    My Mood
    Bookworm on TideFans.com

Clay Travis = guy not getting me to click.

An argument can be made either way. Bryant didn't coach MOST of his career during scholarship limitations, full integration, freshmen playing, or an SEC that kept swapping the national title among its members. Saban didn't coach during a time when the players pretty much all played BOTH WAYS or were limited to three TV appearances per year.

Here's how I look at it: if Bryant coached now, he'd succeed; if Saban coached then, same thing.
    I'll always look back as I walk away
    This memory will last for eternity
    And all of our tears will be lost in the rain
    Til I find my way back to your arms again
    But until that day you know you are
    The queen of my heart

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by dvldog View Post
    Not hold a candle?! That's a lil much, I think he could, at least that.
    ROLL TIDE!