Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BamaNation First Team AgentAntiOrange's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Suspicious on TideFans.com

Re: Nick Saban Better than Coach Bryant with win?

A few unorganized thoughts....

-They are different coaches. CNS excels in the tactical aspect of the game is also a very good motivator. CPB excelled at knowing people...his players, surrounding himself with great coaches...and was very good at overall strategy.

-CPB built the foundation that CNS has built his success off of. Alabama has the resources because of CPB and CNS makes good use of them.

-CNS will never have the opportunity to affect the bigger picture (The university itself as a whole, the state, and the south in general) the way CPB did.

In short...CNS could never be CPB nor should he try to be(nor do I think he does). It was a different era...and CPb had such a social effect that was so much bigger than football. I wish people would simply see this as I believe both men do/would and that is that they both did their best to win games, conduct themselves in a manner that reflects positively on the university, and do everything they can to positively influence young men both on and off the field.
    Be Good Or Be Gone

I just put them on the coffee table for recruits to look at
    -Coach Saban when asked if he wears his championship rings.

'Im sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football.
    -Andy Stiles, Sports Illustrated, after the 42-14 beat down of ND

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame TommyMac's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

Trying to compare the two is stupid and serves no useful purpose.

Personally. I don't think it's possible to be better than Coach Bryant. The best you could hope for would be to be as good.

It's interesting that in these types of threads no one ever even mentions Coach Wade or Coach Thomas, they were pretty danged good too you know.

There are just too many variables to consider to reach any kind of objective conclusion. We need to just appreciate that we've been so fortunate and let it go at that.
    "I'm just a simple plowhand from Arkansas, but I've learned over the years how to hold a team together, how to lift some men up, how to calm others down, until finally they've got one heartbeat, together, a team."

Coach Bryant

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideMan09's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by dvldog View Post
    CNS could win 5 more titles and he still could not hold a candle to THE coach for a guy who grew up in Bama in the 60s and 70s. You sorta had to be there. JMHO.
    We all have our opinions..I don't agree with yours..I can respect it though..What Coach Saban has done in his short time here at Bama..Has been as impressive & as dominant as Coach Bryant in the same amount of time ..To say he can't hold a candle to Coach Bryant is abit much..I wasn't alive when Coach Bryant was here at Bama..So it may be just a generational difference of opinions..From a coaching standpoint & just pure domination of the competition..They're on the same pedestal as far as I'm concerned..
    Last edited by TideMan09; December 27th, 2012 at 08:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Bryant was better.

I think, though, that Saban would succeed in Bryant's era more than vice versa.

BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Yeehaw on TideFans.com

I think this is just the natural progression of things.

Fans see greatness and cannot fathom someone being better. Kind of like watching someone that was not around when Chamberlain was playing and cannot believe he is the same class as Jordan. Then both put up with a young fan who can't believe he could have been better than James. One can find this in every sport.

These types of discussions used to bug the stew out of me. Comparing era's is just not possible. However, I have come to accept that they are unavoidable.

BamaNation All-American GreatDanish's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Saban will never be able to overcome Bryant's longevity.

But, if Saban pulls off 3 NCs in 4 years in this era of limited scholarships, there's only so much better of a four year run that is possible.

Still, who cares who is better? They are both the best coaches of their respective generations, and they both represent Alabama. Virtually any other program in the country would love to have this kind of debate and that is enough for me.

BamaNation Hall of Fame bamanut_aj's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Nick Saban Better than Coach Bryant with win?

Quote Originally Posted by TommyMac View Post
    Trying to compare the two is stupid and serves no useful purpose.

Personally. I don't think it's possible to be better than Coach Bryant. The best you could hope for would be to be as good.

It's interesting that in these types of threads no one ever even mentions Coach Wade or Coach Thomas, they were pretty danged good too you know.

There are just too many variables to consider to reach any kind of objective conclusion. We need to just appreciate that we've been so fortunate and let it go at that.
    Great point. Alabama football didnt begin with Coach Bryant, and it certainly won't end with him, either. That said, it's so hard to compare eras...fun for light hearted debate, but difficult to do because you can't 'prove' anything.

Coach Bryant was certainly the best if his era. Coach Saban is proving to be the best of his era. Although it's unintentional, there is no use minimizing one or the other for the sake of comparison. Just grateful to have had them both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaNation All-American GreatDanish's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TommyMac View Post
    With all due respect to those for whom this doesn't apply... But, I'd imagine much of the reason is that very few people on this board were really alive to have seen them. In fact, probably many of our parents weren't even around to really remember the Wade and Thomas eras.

BamaNation All-American Crimson1967's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Saban could hold a candle, but Bryant would blow it out.

My name is my birth year, so I missed the 1960s and early 1980s. I do remember the dominance of the late 1970s. I agree Bryant had the "it factor" that you really can't explain and can't understand if you weren't there. But old timers in the 1960s probably said the same thing comparing Bryant to Wade and Thomas.

BamaNation All-American bamabryan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AgentAntiOrange View Post
    CPB built the foundation that CNS has built his success off of. Alabama has the resources because of CPB and CNS makes good use of them.
    No disrepect intended, but I have to disagree with you on this. IMHO I think Wade and Thomas built the foundation at Alabama. CPB took it to another level and had a very long period of success.

BamaNation All-SEC tidefan39817's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Persnickety on TideFans.com

i say let's just be happy that unlike a lot of schools out there we can say that we have had both as our Head Coach and be happy with that.... it's a win / win situation

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Great thread, but I have always believed it is not possible to compare coaches, players, and teams across generations. It is easier to say that Alabama made Bryant the coach he was and Alabama has made Saban the coach he is. Both will go down in college football history as the best in their eras.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    Clay Travis = guy not getting me to click.

An argument can be made either way. Bryant didn't coach MOST of his career during scholarship limitations, full integration, freshmen playing, or an SEC that kept swapping the national title among its members. Saban didn't coach during a time when the players pretty much all played BOTH WAYS or were limited to three TV appearances per year.

Here's how I look at it: if Bryant coached now, he'd succeed; if Saban coached then, same thing.
    If memory serves me correctly, of the championship teams, only the '61 team played both ways. The rule changed between then and Namath's team.