Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BamaNation First Team

Re: Nick Saban Better than Coach Bryant with win?

Quote Originally Posted by AgentAntiOrange View Post
    A few unorganized thoughts....

-They are different coaches. CNS excels in the tactical aspect of the game is also a very good motivator. CPB excelled at knowing people...his players, surrounding himself with great coaches...and was very good at overall strategy.

-CPB built the foundation that CNS has built his success off of. Alabama has the resources because of CPB and CNS makes good use of them.

-CNS will never have the opportunity to affect the bigger picture (The university itself as a whole, the state, and the south in general) the way CPB did.

In short...CNS could never be CPB nor should he try to be(nor do I think he does). It was a different era...and CPb had such a social effect that was so much bigger than football. I wish people would simply see this as I believe both men do/would and that is that they both did their best to win games, conduct themselves in a manner that reflects positively on the university, and do everything they can to positively influence young men both on and off the field.
    Coach Bryant did as much for integration in the State of Alabama as MLK did. But, I do believe that MLK, and CPB were both exceptionally great men. Just my opinion of course.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation First Team CrimSonami's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Another CPB vs CNS comparison?

Not gonna read through the "ARTICLE" and all posts but I'll say this, again.

Having been born the year CPB came to Bama I've seen both and it's an Apples and Oranges scenario. Different era's and circumstances. I'm grateful for both but which one is greater than the other is debatable and largely opinionated.

RTR!!!

BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

There is no way to make a valid comparison between CPB and CNS.
    They represent the best of the best in different era's.

They coached/coach under different rules, and limitations.
    Both coaches were/are innovators, and motivators.
    Both coaches believed/believe that Defense wins games.

I don't have to argue who was/is best.
    We have been and are currently blessed with the very best coaches.
    That's enough for me.

Suspended
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Coach Bryant did it through 2 decades with a lull in between. Coach Saban could do this if he had started coaching at Bama in his 40's. He could match coach Bryant's 1st decade if he continues. As far as SEC Championships, he has a ways to go.
    Last edited by CapstoneTider; December 28th, 2012 at 02:21 PM.

BamaNation All-SEC
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    Here's how I look at it: if Bryant coached now, he'd succeed; if Saban coached then, same thing.
    Makes perfect sense.
    “That issue has gone under the bridge, under the next bridge, over the next dam and is gone.”
    -CNS

BamaNation All-American Florida Tom's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

There will only be One Coach Bryant and that is it.

Coach Saban is the Best coach in all of football today in my oopinion & thank goodness he chose Alabama.

Some of us have some reading to do you need to understand what CPB meant to the state not just the University. He offered dignity & class where it was hard to find sometimes.

Talk to people like Wibur Jackson, Sylevster Croom what Coach Bryant meant to them.

CNS thankfully will never get the same situations as Coach had to deal with, buthe has restored respect to the University. No one will try the stuff 10rc did after Bryant as long as CNS is here.

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Nick Saban Better than Coach Bryant with win?

Quote Originally Posted by CrimSonami View Post
    Another CPB vs CNS comparison?

Not gonna read through the "ARTICLE" and all posts but I'll say this, again.

Having been born the year CPB came to Bama I've seen both and it's an Apples and Oranges scenario. Different era's and circumstances. I'm grateful for both but which one is greater than the other is debatable and largely opinionated.

RTR!!!
    I like apples and oranges!
    ROLL TIDE!

My Mood
    Cynical on TideFans.com

CNS has quite a few years to go to approach CPB

BamaNation All-American

Some random thoughts:
    I never thought of Bryant as that much of an innovator. I thought of him as a perfector of other people's innovation, particularly on offense.

He was also a great at adapting his approach to the times, winning big with single wing, pro style passing, and wishbone. He may have even run the Notre Dame box, though I can't say that for sure.

As others have already stated, Saban won't have the time to go through a lull, then a rebirth with a decade of success on the other end.

Bryant did have an effect on the whole state separate and apart from football. But a lot of that was the times in which he coached. Thrust into the same social upheaval, I think Saban would shine as well. But for all our sakes, I hope that isn't necessary.

Because of scholarship limitations and their fallout, I think Saban's golden era is more impressive than either of Bryant's, taken individually. Bryant, however, did it twice, over a period of time that Saban probably won't have. Plus, he covered years where there were huge changes to the game, brought on primarily by the emergence of the black athlete.

This is another aspect of his ability to adapt, yet stay true to his core philosophies of running, stopping the run, and sound special teams.

Those of us who were fortunate enough to have seen both in their prime, and been old enough to appreciate what we were seeing are lucky indeed.
    Last edited by 4Q Basket Case; December 28th, 2012 at 02:46 PM.
    Undefeated World Champion Threadkiller

BamaNation All-SEC RammerJammer15's Avatar
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

I mean you could never replace the Bear! He help build the tradition and established Alabama as a National power. But, I will go as far to say that Saban is this generation's Bear, for people like me that wasn't alive in the 70s.

BamaNation First Team

OK, I'm older than many on this board, so I'm biased toward Coach Bryant. I can say one thing with certainty: Coach Saban had MUCH more to work with when he came to Alabama than Coach Bryant did.

That said, I believe Coach Saban to be every bit as good a coach of football as Coach Bryant was. He probably won't ever be as good a molder of men. I just wish he would let a little more of his off-field personality show through.
    "And the roses in this grand old stadium are once again Crimson." -- Eli Gold, 1/7/10

"ZERO DOUBT" -- Tuscaloosa News Headline 1/10/12

BamaNation Hall of Fame Clubfitter's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

CPB 6 NC CNS 3 NC (CPB 24 bowl games, 14 conference titles - Not sure how many CNS has)

When that score equals out we can have that discussion.
    “What happened yesterday is history. What happens tomorrow is a mystery. What we do today makes a difference - the precious present moment.”
    Coach Nick Saban.

BamaNation First Team AgentAntiOrange's Avatar
    My Mood
    Suspicious on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by bamabryan View Post
    No disrepect intended, but I have to disagree with you on this. IMHO I think Wade and Thomas built the foundation at Alabama. CPB took it to another level and had a very long period of success.
    None taken and, to an extent, I agree with you. However, since CPB was in his prime just as sports media was really moving from local to national I consider him to be the one who really built modern day Alabama football. Most fans knew him in a way that they never knew previous coaches via books, radio shows, his Sunday show, commercials, etc. This allowed him to be not only our coach but also a spokesperson on behalf of many southern cultural values such as hard work, integrity, humility and the 'how' in terms of being first class on and off the field.

CNS talk of the process sounds like an extension of the very principle that CPB often spoke of.
    Be Good Or Be Gone

“I just put them on the coffee table for recruits to look at”
    -Coach Saban when asked if he wears his championship rings.

'Im sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football.
    -Andy Stiles, Sports Illustrated, after the 42-14 beat down of ND