Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BamaNation Third Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Nick Saban Better than Coach Bryant with win?

The top three coaches in the history of college football are (not in any certain order) Bear Bryant, Knute Rockne and Nick Saban. Different eras for all three with different accomplishments. BAMA has two of the three! Glad A&M had Bear even for a short time.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    HaHa on TideFans.com

Nick Saban Better than Coach Bryant with win?

Quote Originally Posted by texasaggie84 View Post
    The top three coaches in the history of college football are (not in any certain order) Bear Bryant, Knute Rockne and Nick Saban. Different eras for all three with different accomplishments. BAMA has two of the three! Glad A&M had Bear even for a short time.
    I'm beginning to warm up to the idea of A&M being in the SEC. Kinda glad Manziel won the Heisman, now. I haven't seen a bad post from aTm so far, though I'm sure there has been. If aTm is ok with the Bear, then it's alright with me too I guess. Just beat Oklahoma! You all have a league standard to uphold.
    ROLL TIDE!

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the one element that sets them apart is history. Consider the fact that Coach Bryant's career spanned WWII, the civil rights era, Vietnam which all affected monumental changes in the American socioeconomic environment. Coach Saban has not had to deal with these issues, just coach football.

CPB coached hardened WWII veterans, he had to deal with the upheaval during the civil rights and Vietnam era. He did this mostly without the benefit of the black athlete. In his final years, his teams were still predominantly white, whereas CNS has had the advantage of having black athletes his entire career and his current teams have been predominantly black. My point is that it is easy to say CPB enjoyed unlimited scholarships and that alone makes CNS the better coach
    with today's limitations. When you understand the history surrounding CPB's career and what he accomplished you realize that he set the table for the CNS era.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    HaHa on TideFans.com

Nick Saban Better than Coach Bryant with win?

Well, at least he lasted through Disco. Nothing but WIN if you asked me!
    ROLL TIDE!

Post Thanks / Like

Both coaches Bryant and Saban have similar styles in the process and recruiting and the belief that you win NC'S with great defense. I am very familiar with Coach Bryant and his time but because there are so many differences in the era, comparing the two is not like Apples to Apples. Suffice it to just say,all things considered,I think Coach Saban's place in Alabama coaching history will equal Coach Bryant's but you can never say which is greater,you can only pick your favorite.
    OLDTIDE SAYS ROLL TIDE
    TO ALL BAMA FANS

Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

I am assuming the intent of the poster was for us to proclaim coach Saban the best, but this is a bad time to ask if you really want an accurate answer. To much emotional momentum towards Coach Saban. Travel back in time to the end of the 79 Sugar Bowl when Coach Bryant was being carried off the field with a NC and SEC in his 20th season and it would be hard to imagine ever asking that question about another coach.

BamaNation Hall of Fame JPT4Bama's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Bad question and the answer will always be subjective. I don't like comparisons of coaches or teams/players from eras separated by multiple decades. Everything is relative to the time in which it occurred.
    Ask me about my vow of silence.

BamaNation Third Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Big A Bryant and Saban (No Logical Comparison)

The phenomenal success Nick Saban has achieved as a head coach, particularly at Alabama, has brought about the inevitable comparisons with Paul "Bear" Bryant, especially among those who weren't around during the Bryant era. This is completely understandable. Saban's record speaks for itself. He is on the brink of accomplishing something Bryant never did, all in one game. An Alabama win over Notre Dame would be something Bryant never achieved, despite four attempts to so. Additionally, it would earn Saban three national titles over a four year span, a feat that the "Bear" was not able to accomplish. Saban represents the modern day Bryant to legions of younger Alabama fans. Ultimately, these comparisons are an exercise in futility. Both men coached in different eras. Bryant led Alabama at a time when scholarship limitations did not exist, a luxury Saban does not enjoy. Under Bryant Alabama played a ten or eleven game regular schedule and did not have to navigate a possible SEC title game. But Bryant's career as a head coach spanned almost forty years, twenty-five of which were spent at Alabama, where he won six national titles. His imprint on the game, both schematically and philosophically, remain to this day. All comparisons of the two men can only be made in subjective terms. One thing they have in common, leading Alabama to unparalleled heights, cannot be debated. Of that I am certain.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bryant and Saban (No Logical Comparison)

Quote Originally Posted by Minedweller View Post
    The phenomenal success Nick Saban has achieved as a head coach, particularly at Alabama, has brought about the inevitable comparisons with Paul "Bear" Bryant, especially among those who weren't around during the Bryant era. This is completely understandable. Saban's record speaks for itself. He is on the brink of accomplishing something Bryant never did, all in one game. An Alabama win over Notre Dame would be something Bryant never achieved, despite four attempts to so. Additionally, it would earn Saban three national titles over a four year span, a feat that the "Bear" was not able to accomplish. Saban represents the modern day Bryant to legions of younger Alabama fans. Ultimately, these comparisons are an exercise in futility. Both men coached in different eras. Bryant led Alabama at a time when scholarship limitations did not exist, a luxury Saban does not enjoy. Under Bryant Alabama played a ten or eleven game regular schedule and did not have to navigate a possible SEC title game. But Bryant's career as a head coach spanned almost forty years, twenty-five of which were spent at Alabama, where he won six national titles. His imprint on the game, both schematically and philosophically, remain to this day. All comparisons of the two men can only be made in subjective terms. One thing they have in common, leading Alabama to unparalleled heights, cannot be debated. Of that I am certain.
    One quibble - all of our opponents had that same "luxury" - and took full advantage of it...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

BamaNation All-American buzzincuzzin's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Perfect screen name for a new thread starter with the only obvious conclusion on a thread that's ongoing for pages and days on end.

BamaNation Hall of Fame TexasBama's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    One quibble - all of our opponents had that same "luxury" - and took full advantage of it...
    Bryant won in both the two platoon and limited substitution era. A little detail the comparators tend to overlook.

Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Coach Bryant had two periods of dominance with a lull in the middle, each period lasting nearly a decade. It's probably more accurate to ask if Coach Saban matched one of those periods, but not both.

I realize that recruiting takes more out of you now, but what makes Coach Bryant unique is that he built, maintained, had top of the mountain fatigue, mentally broke through and dominated another 10 years. That's incredible.

It would be about equal to our preset offense waning the next couple of season's with CNS hanging on, radically changing the offense and dominating all over again until 2021 with 3 more NC's and 2 or 3 SEC's.

BamaNation Second Team
    Post Thanks / Like

To Bryant's credit, this year's ND team is not of the caliber that the 70's ND teams were. To Saban's credit, what he has done in the SEC gauntlet and in a college football age that is more full of parity across the board is unreal. Hard to compare the two coaches, but I'd say Bowden is the only one who would have an argument of being in the same league as Saban since Osbourne left Nebraska.