Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Alasippi's Avatar
    My Mood
    Busy on TideFans.com

Re: Bryant and Saban (No Logical Comparison)

There's absolutely no way to compare. Coach Bryant accomplished incredible feats during his career.

Many younger members may not realize it but he won Kentucky's only SEC Championship and is still the winningest head coach in Kentucky history.

Coach Saban has done incredible things as well and there is no better Coach in college football.

The one thing that may slightly differentiate the two in my opinion is that Coach Saban wins to a great degree because he is an incredible recruiter and has better players than most any team he faces. Coach Bryant in many many cases took a team without a lot of talent and won championship games against teams that were much bigger and faster. He was able to accomplish this because he was such a damn good coach and the most incredible motivator in college football history.

I'll just say this...in their hey day..there was no better Coach than Coach Bryant and there is no better Coach that Coach Saban.

sip

2. Advertisement
    My Mood
    Fine on TideFans.com

We were discussing this here yesterday and came to the same conclusion, there are too many variables to compare the two. We are lucky to have lived in the years that allowed us to enjoy both coaches' accomplishments and grateful for the fun and joy they gave us as fans. No need to diminish either man's career or lift one above the other.
    "There are two pains in life. There is the pain of discipline and the pain of disappointment. If you can handle the pain of discipline, then you'll never have to deal with the pain of disappointment."-Nick Saban

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Bryant and Saban (No Logical Comparison)

The scholarship limitations are huge in my opinion. I've heard Coach Bryant used to offer so other teams wouldn't get that player. I know it's here say but that's what I heard. One thing Coach Bryant never had to endure is the media monster. It is such beast with the internet and how it is used today. That contributes greatly on how it effects the game. Not saying either is better, but I think they are on a level plain.
    ROLL TIDE!

BamaNation Hall of Fame Alasippi's Avatar
    My Mood
    Busy on TideFans.com

Re: Nick Saban Better than Coach Bryant with win?

Quote Originally Posted by OLDTIDE View Post
    Both coaches Bryant and Saban have similar styles in the process and recruiting and the belief that you win NC'S with great defense. I am very familiar with Coach Bryant and his time but because there are so many differences in the era, comparing the two is not like Apples to Apples. Suffice it to just say,all things considered,I think Coach Saban's place in Alabama coaching history will equal Coach Bryant's but you can never say which is greater,you can only pick your favorite.
    Pretty much sums it up. I posted in another similar thread that the one thing that may give Bryant a slight nod is that he could take a way less talented team and motivate and inspire them to beat a far more talented opponent. He did so many many times.
    I think Coach Saban's "process" requires that he recruit players that are more talented than the teams he'll face.
    Until he gets those players he has struggled initially wherever he's been.
    But it's still moot. They are both very similar and are easily the best of their respective era's.
    Personally my favorite is Saban but my heart's with Coach Bryant.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBama View Post
    Bryant won in both the two platoon and limited substitution era. A little detail the comparators tend to overlook.
    Also the only coach to win a title with an all white team and an integrated team.

I'm sure Coach Bryant looks down and heartily approves of what Coach Saban has done...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

This thread is too similar to the earlier Bryant/Saban thread. Merge time...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

BamaNation All-American bamabelle1991's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

What I love is that I experienced Coach Bryant as a child and it made being a "kid" Bama fan a phenomenal experience. My children are experiencing the same emotions but with Coach Saban instead. Of course, I kind of love experiencing greatness again, too. I am a Blessed Fan! Roll Tide!

BamaNation Third Team

The OU game has me nervous. Believe me, all Ags understand we have a league standard to uphold! From Bear Bryant, Gene Stallings and Jackie Sherrill to the admiration Aggies have for Alabama - I hope you never see a bad post from an Aggie. Roll Tide and Gig'em.

BamaNation Third Team

Quote Originally Posted by JBama_in_PCOLA View Post
    I'm beginning to warm up to the idea of A&M being in the SEC. Kinda glad Manziel won the Heisman, now. I haven't seen a bad post from aTm so far, though I'm sure there has been. If aTm is ok with the Bear, then it's alright with me too I guess. Just beat Oklahoma! You all have a league standard to uphold.
    The OU game has me nervous. Believe me, all Ags understand we have a league standard to uphold! From Bear Bryant, Gene Stallings and Jackie Sherrill to the admiration Aggies have for Alabama - I hope you never see a bad post from an Aggie. Roll Tide and Gig'em.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Nick Saban Better than Coach Bryant with win?

Quote Originally Posted by texasaggie84 View Post
    I I will say, every time I hear gig em I think about someone with a shank ready to stab someone. Can you help me out with the gig part?
    ROLL TIDE!

Quote Originally Posted by JBama_in_PCOLA View Post
    I I will say, every time I hear gig em I think about someone with a shank ready to stab someone. Can you help me out with the gig part?
    I think part of the problem is that the only thing ever gigged in the SE were frogs, and I don't mean horned frogs, which, IIRC, are lizards anyway...
    Last edited by TIDE-HSV; December 30th, 2012 at 05:34 PM.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Nick Saban Better than Coach Bryant with win?

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    I think part of the problem is that the only thing ever gigged in the SE were frogs, and I don't mean horned frogs, which, IRRC, are lizards anyway...
    LOL
    ROLL TIDE!