News Article: Nick Saban Better than Coach Bryant with win?

Dallas4Bama

Suspended
Sep 27, 2006
Dallas, Texas
I wasn't able to understand and enjoy the years under Coach Bryant as I was only six when he died. What I know about Coach I have read, watched and listened to learn. I've spent many, many hours reading and studying Coach and learning about his legacy and what he accomplished. He was the unquestioned greatest of them all.

This article is really interesting because some of my friends and I have been discussing this very point recently. What CNS has built here is truly phenomenal and there are some big names beginning to talk about this with the same outcome. Firmer Bryant players and assistants are talking about the talent on our roster is unprecedented in the sport, much less just Alabama.

It takes time and distance to create the perspective to accurately judge an era and right now we should just be enjoying it.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
CNS could win 5 more titles and he still could not hold a candle to THE coach for a guy who grew up in Bama in the 60s and 70s. You sorta had to be there. JMHO.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
It seems like I remember a that a thread like this about Coach Bryant may be against the rules.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I think that winning his 3rd Title in 4 years and 4th overall gets him closer. CNS will obviously not reach the Bear's total of SEC Championships and Total wins. But I'd say if CNS at least ties the Bear at 6 NC's an argument could be made that Saban is better.

You have to remember that Bryant could have way more scholly players on the roster than Saban can now. Bryant would do that a lot of the time to keep teams like UT from getting those players. So he stocked piled talent and coached in a time where there was not the level of Parity in football that there is now. It also took him what?...25 years to win those 6 Titles. Saban might reached 6 NC's in a 15 yr time frame in a time where the SEC is the way more difficult to come through unscathed plus the SECCG that can knock you out of a Title chance.

So I'd say yeah....If CNS can tie the Bear at 6 NC's....when Saban has had to reach that accomplishment in a much more competitive landscape that maybe just maybe he is better than Bear Bryant.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
I wasn't able to understand and enjoy the years under Coach Bryant as I was only six when he died. What I know about Coach I have read, watched and listened to learn. I've spent many, many hours reading and studying Coach and learning about his legacy and what he accomplished. He was the unquestioned greatest of them all.

This article is really interesting because some of my friends and I have been discussing this very point recently. What CNS has built here is truly phenomenal and there are some big names beginning to talk about this with the same outcome. Firmer Bryant players and assistants are talking about the talent on our roster is unprecedented in the sport, much less just Alabama.

It takes time and distance to create the perspective to accurately judge an era and right now we should just be enjoying it.
Great post.

Although I wasn't alive during the Bryant times to fully understood but I too think it's worth a discussion if he wins this one. Maybe I'm being premature assuming future success based on how we are set up now, but to me there's a legit argument.

There careers are going to be different because of the time Bryant was here but I think coach saban could surpass and certainly stand as equal with Bryant when viewed years later.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Clay Travis = guy not getting me to click.

An argument can be made either way. Bryant didn't coach MOST of his career during scholarship limitations, full integration, freshmen playing, or an SEC that kept swapping the national title among its members. Saban didn't coach during a time when the players pretty much all played BOTH WAYS or were limited to three TV appearances per year.

Here's how I look at it: if Bryant coached now, he'd succeed; if Saban coached then, same thing.

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
A few unorganized thoughts....

-They are different coaches. CNS excels in the tactical aspect of the game is also a very good motivator. CPB excelled at knowing people...his players, surrounding himself with great coaches...and was very good at overall strategy.

-CPB built the foundation that CNS has built his success off of. Alabama has the resources because of CPB and CNS makes good use of them.

-CNS will never have the opportunity to affect the bigger picture (The university itself as a whole, the state, and the south in general) the way CPB did.

In short...CNS could never be CPB nor should he try to be(nor do I think he does). It was a different era...and CPb had such a social effect that was so much bigger than football. I wish people would simply see this as I believe both men do/would and that is that they both did their best to win games, conduct themselves in a manner that reflects positively on the university, and do everything they can to positively influence young men both on and off the field.

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
Trying to compare the two is stupid and serves no useful purpose.

Personally. I don't think it's possible to be better than Coach Bryant. The best you could hope for would be to be as good.

It's interesting that in these types of threads no one ever even mentions Coach Wade or Coach Thomas, they were pretty danged good too you know.

There are just too many variables to consider to reach any kind of objective conclusion. We need to just appreciate that we've been so fortunate and let it go at that.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
CNS could win 5 more titles and he still could not hold a candle to THE coach for a guy who grew up in Bama in the 60s and 70s. You sorta had to be there. JMHO.
We all have our opinions..I don't agree with yours..I can respect it though..What Coach Saban has done in his short time here at Bama..Has been as impressive & as dominant as Coach Bryant in the same amount of time ..To say he can't hold a candle to Coach Bryant is abit much..I wasn't alive when Coach Bryant was here at Bama..So it may be just a generational difference of opinions..From a coaching standpoint & just pure domination of the competition..They're on the same pedestal as far as I'm concerned..

Last edited:

JIB

Suspended
Nov 2, 2011
Sterrett
Bryant was better.

I think, though, that Saban would succeed in Bryant's era more than vice versa.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
I think this is just the natural progression of things.

Fans see greatness and cannot fathom someone being better. Kind of like watching someone that was not around when Chamberlain was playing and cannot believe he is the same class as Jordan. Then both put up with a young fan who can't believe he could have been better than James. One can find this in every sport.

These types of discussions used to bug the stew out of me. Comparing era's is just not possible. However, I have come to accept that they are unavoidable.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
Saban will never be able to overcome Bryant's longevity.

But, if Saban pulls off 3 NCs in 4 years in this era of limited scholarships, there's only so much better of a four year run that is possible.

Still, who cares who is better? They are both the best coaches of their respective generations, and they both represent Alabama. Virtually any other program in the country would love to have this kind of debate and that is enough for me.

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
Trying to compare the two is stupid and serves no useful purpose.

Personally. I don't think it's possible to be better than Coach Bryant. The best you could hope for would be to be as good.

It's interesting that in these types of threads no one ever even mentions Coach Wade or Coach Thomas, they were pretty danged good too you know.

There are just too many variables to consider to reach any kind of objective conclusion. We need to just appreciate that we've been so fortunate and let it go at that.
Great point. Alabama football didnt begin with Coach Bryant, and it certainly won't end with him, either. That said, it's so hard to compare eras...fun for light hearted debate, but difficult to do because you can't 'prove' anything.

Coach Bryant was certainly the best if his era. Coach Saban is proving to be the best of his era. Although it's unintentional, there is no use minimizing one or the other for the sake of comparison. Just grateful to have had them both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.