Barrett Jones is not a 1st rounder?

chuaner

Scout Team
Aug 26, 2008
Just saw this XXXX from the ESPN mock draft.
You rate an outland trophy winner, a veteran starter on 3 different positions on BAMA OL as 2-3 rd?

Good Job Mel and Todd.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Being good in college doesn't guarantee success in the NFL. Jason White won the Heisman and went undrafted the same year.

DothanTide

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 6, 2011
No true position, relies more on smarts/positioning than strength/power, good athlete but not a great athlete... Love him to death here at 'Bama, but he does have some serious questions when it comes to the next level.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
He projects as a Guard or Center in the NFL.

It's usually Tackles, and Left Tackles at that, that get the big money first round draft picks.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if he went in the 2nd or 3rd round. It also wouldn't surprise me at all if he goes on to a long, lucrative career in the NFL.

AmeliaGayle

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 29, 2012
Mobile, AL
Isn't second round is pretty good for a center/guard? Someone might fall in love with his smarts and character, but I would be surprised if that bumped him up into the first round. Not James Carpenter surprised, but surprised none the less.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Postion has a lot to do with it since he projects as a C or G. Some said he may have moved up due to his great play against GA's two 350+ lb DT's. If he blows up on ND's big NT he may sneak into the 1st round.

RammerJammer91

1st Team
Nov 27, 2012
Even though my Patriots have bigger needs, I'd be very happy if he fell to us in the 2nd round. Mankins will be 31, and we could use some stability at the Center and Guard spots.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Guard/Center types tend to fall into that grade unless they are a projected dominator like Chance Warmack.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I heard one pundit say for the ND game, that Jones wasn't as aggressive and would need Wormack or Steen to help him with the NG for Notre Dame. So I guess that's his knock. Maybe he isn't. I don't know. Regardless, if he falls to the 2nd round, he'll still be a very rich young man and that 4.0 in accounting will come in handy.

CapstoneGrad06

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2006
Houston, Texas
Barrett Jones is projected as an interior offensive lineman at the next level. Those types rarely rate as a first rounder. Almost all of your first round offensive lineman are tackles.

CRIMSON HAMMAH

Suspended
Dec 17, 2012
Green Bay Packers bench C Jeff Saturday - Barrett Jones won't fall past the Pack in the first round - stone cold lock

Love the Ping

All-SEC
Jun 15, 2005
No true position, relies more on smarts/positioning than strength/power, good athlete but not a great athlete... Love him to death here at 'Bama, but he does have some serious questions when it comes to the next level.
I can dig most of this, but no true position? What does that even mean? The guy has played very well at three different positions in the best conference in the country. It's not like he's a tweener LB/DE that you could say doesn't have a true position. I guess versatility is a knock these days for an offensive lineman?

He won't last past the 2nd round, but a first-round selection certainly wouldn't surprise me.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
As soon as we are all saying rightfully that as an interior lineman, it shouldn't be surprising that he would fall to the 2nd or 3rd rounds, Chance Warmack is consistently seen as a first rounder. Granted, I've seen some say Warmack is the best OG prospect in a decade.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.