Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BamaNation First Team gtowntide's Avatar
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

Lou Holtz at half time of Military Bowl

Did ya'll see Dr. Lou doing a little back peddling on the BCSNC? He said if he was Alabama he would be upset at all the good press ND is getting before the game. I find this odd since he is one of the biggest mouth pieces for the Domers.

Could it be that Lou is getting scared as we get a little closer to the game?

2. Advertisement

Re: Lou Holtz at half time of Military Bowl

All we need is Pat Dye to say "Notre Dame ain't MAN enuf to beat Bama" - then all the ND people will say "Who in the Friar Tuck is Pat Dye?"

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    My Mood
    Mellow on TideFans.com

He said that a while back. Doesn't he know we already know these things!?
    ROLL TIDE!

My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Old timers know ND gets nothing but good press...it seems most want ND to win...most Bama fans expected as much.

But while many want ND to win...most think Bama will win. Now, how does that old Rolling Stones song go? "You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find...you get what you need", and man do ND pundits need a dose of reality and humility...bad.
    If anything goes bad, I did it. If anything goes semi-good, we did it. If anything goes really good, then you did it. That's all it takes to get people to win football games for you. - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

I appreciate your opinion but as a long time ND fan I don't agree with the opinion that ND gets nothing but good press. At ESPN, except for Holtz who is a definite homer, and Golic, the same thing, they have only recently been saying nice things when they began seeing the possibility of Notre Dame being in the NCG which they will broadcast. Before that, they kept analyzing why we would lose each week, until they ran out of excuses. Ever watch Pollack or Howard try to say something nice about ND, they almost choke on their own words.

Did you see Rick Reilly's article back in the fall? http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/8...insignificance

Heck, most of the analyst have been calling Golson, GolsTon. Some still do.

Manti has obviously gotten a lot of good press which started with NBC for obvious reasons. If you're not a ND fan I'm sure it got old. He's a good guy though and represents the best in college football, much like Barrett Jones who I think a lot of.

It's ok to see what we see and disagree, we just see differently form our perspective.

BamaNation First Team BamaFanatJSU's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by taddy View Post
    I appreciate your opinion but as a long time ND fan I don't agree with the opinion that ND gets nothing but good press.

Sorry, Taddy, but mispronunciation of your players' names is not proof that the media thinks you're irrelevant. On the contrary, it's simply indicative of media incompetence. Just ask any Bama fan about Verne Lundquist's pronunciation after six fingers of scotch. Can I get a Rolando McCain, anybody?

Anybody remember a particularly good Verne & Gary thread for taddy to peruse? I remember a couple having some rather prescient mispronunciations.

Bama gets plenty of love. If anything, my impression is that the media is fawning over the spectacle of this matchup as much as over either team individually. I love it all.

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    My Mood
    Mellow on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by CraigD View Post
    Bama gets plenty of love. If anything, my impression is that the media is fawning over the spectacle of this matchup as much as over either team individually. I love it all.
    Believe me, it's way more ND than Bama.
    ROLL TIDE!

Quote Originally Posted by JBama_in_PCOLA View Post
    Believe me, it's way more ND than Bama.
    Like I'm not watching it too?

BamaNation First Team

Most of the stuff I've read, even from Indiana media, is about building a case for how ND might be able to beat Bama. You know stuff like how much their QB has improved. How those converted WR's may actually be future NFL DB's, oh, and Louis Nix III may not even be blockable.

My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by taddy View Post
    I appreciate your opinion but as a long time ND fan I don't agree with the opinion that ND gets nothing but good press. At ESPN, except for Holtz who is a definite homer, and Golic, the same thing, they have only recently been saying nice things when they began seeing the possibility of Notre Dame being in the NCG which they will broadcast. Before that, they kept analyzing why we would lose each week, until they ran out of excuses. Ever watch Pollack or Howard try to say something nice about ND, they almost choke on their own words.

Did you see Rick Reilly's article back in the fall? http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/8...insignificance

Manti has obviously gotten a lot of good press which started with NBC for obvious reasons. If you're not a ND fan I'm sure it got old. He's a good guy though and represents the best in college football, much like Barrett Jones who I think a lot of.

It's ok to see what we see and disagree, we just see differently form our perspective.
    There is a difference between "press" and analysis. I haven't seen many, if any, analysis of the two teams or game that don't come too the conclusion that Bama is the better team. "Press" ,in this case anyway, can sway public opinion. That's why a lot of people see the "press" and want ND to win, but the same people will see an analysis of the two teams and realize there's not much chance...that's why they're a 10 point dog.
    If anything goes bad, I did it. If anything goes semi-good, we did it. If anything goes really good, then you did it. That's all it takes to get people to win football games for you. - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

The word "analysis" indicates study, thought, reasoning, and conclusion. If you can't get the starting QB's name right, how thorough was the analysis. When an "analyst" mispronounces Golson's name, I immediately discount his comments as a talking head and that seems more like "press" to me than analysis. It works both ways, if they mispronounce Barrett's name, I think the same thing.

The point I was attempting to make, however poorly, was that ND does not "only get good press". ESPN/ABC have the contract to carry SEC games along with others. NBC has Notre Dame's right. ESPN and their "analysts" are going to talk about their clients (SEC) and promote that product. They are not going to promote NBC's product unless their paths cross and it's to their benefit.

Now go to the next step, the BCS game. Now Notre Dame is in ESPN's path again. As it seems most of you believe ND can't compete with most SEC teams, wouldn't the network that is televising the game and promoting it want to build up the competitiveness of the two teams to build up the game. Sell more commercials, charge more for them! This is business and very little to do with the sport.

I'm not arguing the competitiveness of the teams or the conclusions, just that this good "press", especially from ESPN is a pretty recent phenomena because ND made it to the championship game.

ESPN quit being a sports reporting network and became sport news making network a long time ago. I digress.