Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar
    My Mood
    Depressed on TideFans.com

Re: Lou Holtz at half time of Military Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by BamaFanatJSU View Post
    Sorry, Taddy, but mispronunciation of your players' names is not proof that the media thinks you're irrelevant. On the contrary, it's simply indicative of media incompetence. Just ask any Bama fan about Verne Lundquist's pronunciation after six fingers of scotch. Can I get a Rolando McCain, anybody?
    You got it wrong - its ORLANDO McCane, ha ha.

And our head coach, Lou Saban
    I'll always look back as I walk away
    This memory will last for eternity
    And all of our tears will be lost in the rain
    Til I find my way back to your arms again
    But until that day you know you are
    The queen of my heart

2. Advertisement
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by taddy View Post
    As it seems most of you believe ND can't compete with most SEC teams
    I'm not sure where this thought comes from. I haven't seen anyone post on here that ND couldn't compete with a number of SEC teams.

I personally believe that ND could beat a number of SEC teams, but I don't think they will beat Alabama on 01/07.

My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by DocCrimson View Post
    Anybody remember a particularly good Verne & Gary thread for taddy to peruse? I remember a couple having some rather prescient mispronunciations.
    Take your pick:

http://www.tidefans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176567&highlight=verne

http://www.tidefans.com/forums/showt...ight=vern+gary
    "Sometimes the juice is worth the squeeze." - Marcus Luttrell, 'Service - A Navy SEAL at War'

BamaNation All-American NBF_Bama_Cavalry's Avatar

The word "analysis" indicates study, thought, reasoning, and conclusion. If you can't get the starting QB's name right, how thorough was the analysis. When an "analyst" mispronounces Golson's name, I immediately discount his comments as a talking head and that seems more like "press" to me than analysis. It works both ways, if they mispronounce Barrett's name, I think the same thing.
    That's because many of them are southern "mobile homers" which the Notre Dame elite feel are inferior to themselves. ND fans make fun of southern illiteracy and look down their haughty noses at Southerners and then complain because of a mispronounced name?
    A good game plan vigorously executed right now is far better than a perfect game plan executed next week. General George Patton (paraphrased)

BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I get what you are saying Taddy. Most of this (at least for me) appears to be a latent thing. People my age remember the Notre Dame love fest before they started going through the long period they have been through. The fact that they have the NBC contract after so long still reeks of it, and now that they are good again it appears that it is emerging again. Whether that is accurate or not matters little to those in a fanbase that remember feeling truly slighted.

The word "analysis" indicates study, thought, reasoning, and conclusion. If you can't get the starting QB's name right, how thorough was the analysis. When an "analyst" mispronounces Golson's name, I immediately discount his comments as a talking head and that seems more like "press" to me than analysis. It works both ways, if they mispronounce Barrett's name, I think the same thing.

The point I was attempting to make, however poorly, was that ND does not "only get good press". ESPN/ABC have the contract to carry SEC games along with others. NBC has Notre Dame's right. ESPN and their "analysts" are going to talk about their clients (SEC) and promote that product. They are not going to promote NBC's product unless their paths cross and it's to their benefit.

Now go to the next step, the BCS game. Now Notre Dame is in ESPN's path again. As it seems most of you believe ND can't compete with most SEC teams, wouldn't the network that is televising the game and promoting it want to build up the competitiveness of the two teams to build up the game. Sell more commercials, charge more for them! This is business and very little to do with the sport.

I'm not arguing the competitiveness of the teams or the conclusions, just that this good "press", especially from ESPN is a pretty recent phenomena because ND made it to the championship game.

ESPN quit being a sports reporting network and became sport news making network a long time ago. I digress.
    A lot of it is the prism we're viewing through. We're on the alert for each and every remark denigrating Bama and you're doing the same for ND. In our case there a lot of "ABB" (Anybody but Bama). If we win on 1/7, that'll be 3 of the last 4. There's just a lot of Bama fatigue out there. I don't know that there're that many people out there who feel this will be an easy game for Bama of that ND couldn't compete in the SEC. Most of us do feel that it's a lot harder to go undefeated in the SEC, even in the down years, which is what I consider the season just past. It'll be interesting to see the number of NFL draftees this year off ND, Bama, and, for example UGA...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

BamaNation Third Team

Funny stuff! We have similar thoughts with our Hammond/Mayok team.

Quote Originally Posted by NBF_Bama_Cavalry View Post
    That's because many of them are southern "mobile homers" which the Notre Dame elite feel are inferior to themselves. ND fans make fun of southern illiteracy and look down their haughty noses at Southerners and then complain because of a mispronounced name?
    Pretty broad sweep there. Being a southerner with family in Alabama I'm not an elitist and don't believe I've said anything to indicate otherwise.. I also don't appreciate fans that disparage other fan bases, no matter the team.

Quote Originally Posted by mittman View Post
    I get what you are saying Taddy. Most of this (at least for me) appears to be a latent thing. People my age remember the Notre Dame love fest before they started going through the long period they have been through. The fact that they have the NBC contract after so long still reeks of it, and now that they are good again it appears that it is emerging again. Whether that is accurate or not matters little to those in a fanbase that remember feeling truly slighted.
    I understand, and appreciate the ND fatigue, especially after 20 years and the last couple of of BCS game performances. The NBC contract is business, there's still a large, hopeful fan base.

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    A lot of it is the prism we're viewing through. We're on the alert for each and every remark denigrating Bama and you're doing the same for ND. In our case there a lot of "ABB" (Anybody but Bama). If we win on 1/7, that'll be 3 of the last 4. There's just a lot of Bama fatigue out there. I don't know that there're that many people out there who feel this will be an easy game for Bama of that ND couldn't compete in the SEC. Most of us do feel that it's a lot harder to go undefeated in the SEC, even in the down years, which is what I consider the season just past. It'll be interesting to see the number of NFL draftees this year off ND, Bama, and, for example UGA...
    I get that there is some Alabama/SEC fatigue. My answer to those that have that feeling is to do something about it besides complain. I think what Saban has done/is doing is remarkable. I also agree that going undefeated in the SEC is a tough row to hoe. I don't have "ABB", I do have "ABC", Anybody But Carolina.

BamaNation Second Team Bama Czar's Avatar

The point I was attempting to make, however poorly, was that ND does not "only get good press". ESPN/ABC have the contract to carry SEC games along with others. NBC has Notre Dame's right. ESPN and their "analysts" are going to talk about their clients (SEC) and promote that product. They are not going to promote NBC's product unless their paths cross and it's to their benefit.

Now go to the next step, the BCS game. Now Notre Dame is in ESPN's path again. As it seems most of you believe ND can't compete with most SEC teams, wouldn't the network that is televising the game and promoting it want to build up the competitiveness of the two teams to build up the game. Sell more commercials, charge more for them! This is business and very little to do with the sport.

I'm not arguing the competitiveness of the teams or the conclusions, just that this good "press", especially from ESPN is a pretty recent phenomena because ND made it to the championship game.

ESPN quit being a sports reporting network and became sport news making network a long time ago. I digress.
    Man, I agree with 99% of what you're saying here. Especially in regards to ESPN & other economic factors involved. However, I have yet to see Holtz ever out-right pick against ND. (Of course, I don't believe most analyst's "picks" are really their "picks" anyway, but they have to stir the pot while at the same time attempting to seem credible. Honestly Gameday (to me) is a complete waste of time to watch. Rarely do I get any real insight from it) Holtz typically goes waaaay overboard on how "special" of a place ND is....

BamaNation Third Team

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Czar View Post
    Man, I agree with 99% of what you're saying here. Especially in regards to ESPN & other economic factors involved. However, I have yet to see Holtz ever out-right pick against ND. (Of course, I don't believe most analyst's "picks" are really their "picks" anyway, but they have to stir the pot while at the same time attempting to seem credible. Honestly Gameday (to me) is a complete waste of time to watch. Rarely do I get any real insight from it) Holtz typically goes waaaay overboard on how "special" of a place ND is....

Holtz is undeniably a homer. He will occasionally talk real football. He did pick against ND last year in the USF/Notre Dame game. Remember Skip Holtz was the coach there and Mama Holtz wasn't going to have none of that. Turns out he was right, sadly.

The Holtz/May shtick is a rating thing.
    Last edited by taddy; December 28th, 2012 at 02:44 PM.

Holtz is undeniable a homer. He will occasionally talk real football. He did pick against ND last year in the USF/Notre Dame game. Remember Skip Holtz was the coach there and Mama Holtz wasn't going to have none of that. Turns out he was right, sadly.

This is the truth. Several years ago, there was a famous out-take clip that leaked of their deciding who was going to pick which team. Rece is, of course, a Bama grad/fan, but he almost never lets it show...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

BamaNation All-SEC

I appreciate your opinion but as a long time ND fan I don't agree with the opinion that ND gets nothing but good press. At ESPN, except for Holtz who is a definite homer, and Golic, the same thing, they have only recently been saying nice things when they began seeing the possibility of Notre Dame being in the NCG which they will broadcast. Before that, they kept analyzing why we would lose each week, until they ran out of excuses. Ever watch Pollack or Howard try to say something nice about ND, they almost choke on their own words.

Did you see Rick Reilly's article back in the fall? http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/8...insignificance

Heck, most of the analyst have been calling Golson, GolsTon. Some still do.

Manti has obviously gotten a lot of good press which started with NBC for obvious reasons. If you're not a ND fan I'm sure it got old. He's a good guy though and represents the best in college football, much like Barrett Jones who I think a lot of.

It's ok to see what we see and disagree, we just see differently form our perspective.
    very nice post, IMO.
    Some of us Bama fans need a little humility at times as well...

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Holtz is undeniable a homer. He will occasionally talk real football. He did pick against ND last year in the USF/Notre Dame game. Remember Skip Holtz was the coach there and Mama Holtz wasn't going to have none of that. Turns out he was right, sadly.

Yep. It's entertaining to see them play off of each other, but you know it's coming at the same time too. Just like the "loser" in Final Verdict takes a shot or two at Rece. I like the show; but it's a fore entertainment only type of thing: watching highlights and a little back and forth jabs at the other hosts.

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by JBama_in_PCOLA View Post
    Believe me, it's way more ND than Bama.

Sorry, but I think that the media sees this as the match made in heaven...there are some who are loving that Notre Dame has made it back to relevance, and I see nothing wrong with that....but they both have gotten a lot of good press.