Lou Holtz at half time of Military Bowl

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
Did ya'll see Dr. Lou doing a little back peddling on the BCSNC? He said if he was Alabama he would be upset at all the good press ND is getting before the game. I find this odd since he is one of the biggest mouth pieces for the Domers.:conf3:

Could it be that Lou is getting scared as we get a little closer to the game?:conf3:

TrueGritnPluck

Suspended
Nov 21, 2011
All we need is Pat Dye to say "Notre Dame ain't MAN enuf to beat Bama" - then all the ND people will say "Who in the Friar Tuck is Pat Dye?"

bamadp

All-SEC
Sep 24, 2006
Sheffield, Al.
Old timers know ND gets nothing but good press...it seems most want ND to win...most Bama fans expected as much.

But while many want ND to win...most think Bama will win. Now, how does that old Rolling Stones song go? "You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find...you get what you need", and man do ND pundits need a dose of reality and humility...bad. :BigA:

taddy

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 25, 2012
I appreciate your opinion but as a long time ND fan I don't agree with the opinion that ND gets nothing but good press. At ESPN, except for Holtz who is a definite homer, and Golic, the same thing, they have only recently been saying nice things when they began seeing the possibility of Notre Dame being in the NCG which they will broadcast. Before that, they kept analyzing why we would lose each week, until they ran out of excuses. Ever watch Pollack or Howard try to say something nice about ND, they almost choke on their own words.

Did you see Rick Reilly's article back in the fall? http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/8264769/notre-dame-irish-relegated-insignificance

Heck, most of the analyst have been calling Golson, GolsTon. Some still do.

Manti has obviously gotten a lot of good press which started with NBC for obvious reasons. If you're not a ND fan I'm sure it got old. He's a good guy though and represents the best in college football, much like Barrett Jones who I think a lot of.

It's ok to see what we see and disagree, we just see differently form our perspective.

BamaFanatJSU

1st Team
Apr 24, 2008
Rainbow City, AL
I appreciate your opinion but as a long time ND fan I don't agree with the opinion that ND gets nothing but good press.

Sorry, Taddy, but mispronunciation of your players' names is not proof that the media thinks you're irrelevant. On the contrary, it's simply indicative of media incompetence. Just ask any Bama fan about Verne Lundquist's pronunciation after six fingers of scotch. Can I get a Rolando McCain, anybody? ;)

DocCrimson

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2010
East TN
Anybody remember a particularly good Verne & Gary thread for taddy to peruse? I remember a couple having some rather prescient mispronunciations.

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
Bama gets plenty of love. If anything, my impression is that the media is fawning over the spectacle of this matchup as much as over either team individually. I love it all.

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Most of the stuff I've read, even from Indiana media, is about building a case for how ND might be able to beat Bama. You know stuff like how much their QB has improved. How those converted WR's may actually be future NFL DB's, oh, and Louis Nix III may not even be blockable.

bamadp

All-SEC
Sep 24, 2006
Sheffield, Al.
I appreciate your opinion but as a long time ND fan I don't agree with the opinion that ND gets nothing but good press. At ESPN, except for Holtz who is a definite homer, and Golic, the same thing, they have only recently been saying nice things when they began seeing the possibility of Notre Dame being in the NCG which they will broadcast. Before that, they kept analyzing why we would lose each week, until they ran out of excuses. Ever watch Pollack or Howard try to say something nice about ND, they almost choke on their own words.

Did you see Rick Reilly's article back in the fall? http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/8264769/notre-dame-irish-relegated-insignificance

Manti has obviously gotten a lot of good press which started with NBC for obvious reasons. If you're not a ND fan I'm sure it got old. He's a good guy though and represents the best in college football, much like Barrett Jones who I think a lot of.

It's ok to see what we see and disagree, we just see differently form our perspective.
There is a difference between "press" and analysis. I haven't seen many, if any, analysis of the two teams or game that don't come too the conclusion that Bama is the better team. "Press" ,in this case anyway, can sway public opinion. That's why a lot of people see the "press" and want ND to win, but the same people will see an analysis of the two teams and realize there's not much chance...that's why they're a 10 point dog. :BigA:

taddy

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 25, 2012
The word "analysis" indicates study, thought, reasoning, and conclusion. If you can't get the starting QB's name right, how thorough was the analysis. When an "analyst" mispronounces Golson's name, I immediately discount his comments as a talking head and that seems more like "press" to me than analysis. It works both ways, if they mispronounce Barrett's name, I think the same thing.

The point I was attempting to make, however poorly, was that ND does not "only get good press". ESPN/ABC have the contract to carry SEC games along with others. NBC has Notre Dame's right. ESPN and their "analysts" are going to talk about their clients (SEC) and promote that product. They are not going to promote NBC's product unless their paths cross and it's to their benefit.

Now go to the next step, the BCS game. Now Notre Dame is in ESPN's path again. As it seems most of you believe ND can't compete with most SEC teams, wouldn't the network that is televising the game and promoting it want to build up the competitiveness of the two teams to build up the game. Sell more commercials, charge more for them! This is business and very little to do with the sport.

I'm not arguing the competitiveness of the teams or the conclusions, just that this good "press", especially from ESPN is a pretty recent phenomena because ND made it to the championship game.

ESPN quit being a sports reporting network and became sport news making network a long time ago. I digress.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Sorry, Taddy, but mispronunciation of your players' names is not proof that the media thinks you're irrelevant. On the contrary, it's simply indicative of media incompetence. Just ask any Bama fan about Verne Lundquist's pronunciation after six fingers of scotch. Can I get a Rolando McCain, anybody? ;)
You got it wrong - its ORLANDO McCane, ha ha.

And our head coach, Lou Saban

hollisx4

1st Team
Aug 29, 2005
Columbiana, AL.
As it seems most of you believe ND can't compete with most SEC teams
I'm not sure where this thought comes from. I haven't seen anyone post on here that ND couldn't compete with a number of SEC teams.

I personally believe that ND could beat a number of SEC teams, but I don't think they will beat Alabama on 01/07.

NBF_Bama_Cavalry

All-American
Dec 2, 2002
Titus, Al, US
www.dixiebikers.com
The word "analysis" indicates study, thought, reasoning, and conclusion. If you can't get the starting QB's name right, how thorough was the analysis. When an "analyst" mispronounces Golson's name, I immediately discount his comments as a talking head and that seems more like "press" to me than analysis. It works both ways, if they mispronounce Barrett's name, I think the same thing.
That's because many of them are southern "mobile homers" which the Notre Dame elite feel are inferior to themselves. ND fans make fun of southern illiteracy and look down their haughty noses at Southerners and then complain because of a mispronounced name?

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
I get what you are saying Taddy. Most of this (at least for me) appears to be a latent thing. People my age remember the Notre Dame love fest before they started going through the long period they have been through. The fact that they have the NBC contract after so long still reeks of it, and now that they are good again it appears that it is emerging again. Whether that is accurate or not matters little to those in a fanbase that remember feeling truly slighted.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

The point I was attempting to make, however poorly, was that ND does not "only get good press". ESPN/ABC have the contract to carry SEC games along with others. NBC has Notre Dame's right. ESPN and their "analysts" are going to talk about their clients (SEC) and promote that product. They are not going to promote NBC's product unless their paths cross and it's to their benefit.

Now go to the next step, the BCS game. Now Notre Dame is in ESPN's path again. As it seems most of you believe ND can't compete with most SEC teams, wouldn't the network that is televising the game and promoting it want to build up the competitiveness of the two teams to build up the game. Sell more commercials, charge more for them! This is business and very little to do with the sport.

I'm not arguing the competitiveness of the teams or the conclusions, just that this good "press", especially from ESPN is a pretty recent phenomena because ND made it to the championship game.

ESPN quit being a sports reporting network and became sport news making network a long time ago. I digress.
A lot of it is the prism we're viewing through. We're on the alert for each and every remark denigrating Bama and you're doing the same for ND. In our case there a lot of "ABB" (Anybody but Bama). If we win on 1/7, that'll be 3 of the last 4. There's just a lot of Bama fatigue out there. I don't know that there're that many people out there who feel this will be an easy game for Bama of that ND couldn't compete in the SEC. Most of us do feel that it's a lot harder to go undefeated in the SEC, even in the down years, which is what I consider the season just past. It'll be interesting to see the number of NFL draftees this year off ND, Bama, and, for example UGA...

taddy

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 25, 2012
Funny stuff! We have similar thoughts with our Hammond/Mayok team.

That's because many of them are southern "mobile homers" which the Notre Dame elite feel are inferior to themselves. ND fans make fun of southern illiteracy and look down their haughty noses at Southerners and then complain because of a mispronounced name?
Pretty broad sweep there. Being a southerner with family in Alabama I'm not an elitist and don't believe I've said anything to indicate otherwise.. I also don't appreciate fans that disparage other fan bases, no matter the team.

I get what you are saying Taddy. Most of this (at least for me) appears to be a latent thing. People my age remember the Notre Dame love fest before they started going through the long period they have been through. The fact that they have the NBC contract after so long still reeks of it, and now that they are good again it appears that it is emerging again. Whether that is accurate or not matters little to those in a fanbase that remember feeling truly slighted.
I understand, and appreciate the ND fatigue, especially after 20 years and the last couple of of BCS game performances. The NBC contract is business, there's still a large, hopeful fan base.

A lot of it is the prism we're viewing through. We're on the alert for each and every remark denigrating Bama and you're doing the same for ND. In our case there a lot of "ABB" (Anybody but Bama). If we win on 1/7, that'll be 3 of the last 4. There's just a lot of Bama fatigue out there. I don't know that there're that many people out there who feel this will be an easy game for Bama of that ND couldn't compete in the SEC. Most of us do feel that it's a lot harder to go undefeated in the SEC, even in the down years, which is what I consider the season just past. It'll be interesting to see the number of NFL draftees this year off ND, Bama, and, for example UGA...
I get that there is some Alabama/SEC fatigue. My answer to those that have that feeling is to do something about it besides complain. I think what Saban has done/is doing is remarkable. I also agree that going undefeated in the SEC is a tough row to hoe. I don't have "ABB", I do have "ABC", Anybody But Carolina.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.