Nick Saban post practice presser (12/27)

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Personally, I think the media drives perception of coaches very well. Look how much ESPN eats up guys like Tommy Tuberville who has soured on every administration he's ever worked for in college. When you're open to let them talk to you and give them good answers, they think you're a great guy. When you are willingly obtuse to control the flow of information and prevent access to the full team like Saban, you get no chance with the media.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
It was mostly a tongue-in-cheek comment. I don't hate the guy - though I know many football fans that do (ND and otherwise). Reasons are often related to his personality in interviews or press conferences (doesn't bother me) and perceived issues with oversigning / medical hardships is also a popular one. I'm not attempting to debate what's right or wrong there - just giving you an idea of what many football fans point to when they talk about not liking Nick Saban.
The number 1 (unstated) reason people don't like him is that he kicks their teams' backsides.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Personally, I think the media drives perception of coaches very well. Look how much ESPN eats up guys like Tommy Tuberville who has soured on every administration he's ever worked for in college. When you're open to let them talk to you and give them good answers, they think you're a great guy. When you are willingly obtuse to control the flow of information and prevent access to the full team like Saban, you get no chance with the media.
This is true. Look at what a favorite Les is..

The number 1 (unstated) reason people don't like him is that he kicks their teams' backsides.
Very accurate as well. I didn't like Coach when he was at LSU.

:cool:

SavannahDare

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Gulf Breeze, Florida
People will always rationalize their reasons for disliking people who are better than they are. Coach Saban is simply better than a lot of people at a lot of things. A lot of people can't swallow that. And, as a Bama fan, I'm OK with that. :)

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
I prefer Mack's presser recaps; there's never any need to click on any other links to know what Coach said.

NDinNYC2

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 28, 2012
Can't argue with that. If he didn't win as much as he does, no one would care about these other issues. Or at least not nearly as much.

WalkaboutSean

1st Team
Nov 23, 2010
I prefer Mack's presser recaps; there's never any need to click on any other links to know what Coach said.
While the recaps are great, I greatly enjoy watching the pressers directly. It's not just what Saban says, it's how he says it. When his attitude & body language are positive, you can bet that the team is preparing well.

Bad news for Notre Dame: as of today, Saban is "very pleased." :)

http://video.tuscaloosanews.com/video/2062763268001

TrueGritnPluck

Suspended
Nov 21, 2011
It was mostly a tongue-in-cheek comment. I don't hate the guy - though I know many football fans that do (ND and otherwise). Reasons are often related to his personality in interviews or press conferences (doesn't bother me) and perceived issues with oversigning / medical hardships is also a popular one. I'm not attempting to debate what's right or wrong there - just giving you an idea of what many football fans point to when they talk about not liking Nick Saban.

For me, the way he left the Dolphins was tough to stomach. I understand that he's not the only coach to do what he did and I appreciate the fact that I recently heard him say he feels as bad about the way he left Miami as anything that he's done in his professional career (paraphrasing). You have to respect when a guy makes a mistake and owns up to it. Still, doesn't mean I have to like him. Regardless, never heard anyone debate the fact that he's a heck of a coach.
Why is Coach Saban the only HC not allowed to change his mind, and be allowed to do what he really he wants?

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

For me, the way he left the Dolphins was tough to stomach. I understand that he's not the only coach to do what he did and I appreciate the fact that I recently heard him say he feels as bad about the way he left Miami as anything that he's done in his professional career (paraphrasing). You have to respect when a guy makes a mistake and owns up to it. Still, doesn't mean I have to like him. Regardless, never heard anyone debate the fact that he's a heck of a coach.
I think what rankles Alabama fans most is the inconsistency / hypocrisy in the opposing fan bases' sentiments.

Over signing and medical hardships? What about UGA and A&M with 30 - 35 commitments? Where's the national condemnation there?

So far, Saban hasn't been implicated in the coverup of a sexual assault by any of his players. Where's the national media's outrage on the incident in South Bend? I can promise you, if it had happened in Tuscaloosa, the writer that broke the story would already have a fellowship at the Columbia School of Journalism.

Saban very much holds himself and his program responsible for their actions. Strangely, the press gets its collective lip stuck out and whines like bad transmission when one of its members gets called out on a stupid question, usually when it's the product of an unwarranted conclusion based on an unwarranted assumption.

Seems to me the preponderance of the evidence is that the press and the opposing fan bases admire those traits when the person in question loses his share of games ("share" being determined by the audience, of course).

When he wins in the face of all that, it's just that much more irritating, and gins more selective thinking.

Last edited:

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
The way he left the Dolphins? What was so bad with the way he left the Dolphins? No one has ever been able to explain that to me. Almost every coach up for a new job denies it at first or really doesn't think he'll take the job, then things happen to sway them. Non Bama fans act like he ran out of Miami in the dark of night durning halftime of the Super Bowl and destroyed the Dolphin fan base that just can't stop wiping the tears away even to this day.

The season was over and Mal gave him the world which changed his mind. I don't understand why that is so bad. What was he suppose to do, run away like a little scared boy and just leave a note in the players lockers.

No, Miami is not the real reason why any non Bama fan claims to hate Saban. It's because he came here and won. If he was a yearly 8-5 coach at Bama, no one would ever mention the Dolphins. Another part of it is that the Dolphins still suck and there fans have some misguided belief that if Saban was still there they would be going for there 3rd Super Bowl in 4 years like Bama is doing.

You know where I'm going to be around 11pm on the 7th? In line for my 3rd t-shirt in 4 years at Academy Sports! RTR

taddy

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 25, 2012
The way he left the Dolphins? What was so bad with the way he left the Dolphins? No one has ever been able to explain that to me. Almost every coach up for a new job denies it at first or really doesn't think he'll take the job, then things happen to sway them. Non Bama fans act like he ran out of Miami in the dark of night durning halftime of the Super Bowl and destroyed the Dolphin fan base that just can't stop wiping the tears away even to this day.

The season was over and Mal gave him the world which changed his mind. I don't understand why that is so bad. What was he suppose to do, run away like a little scared boy and just leave a note in the players lockers.
I hadn't given Saban's leaving Miami a second thought until this thread. Petrino set and maintains the gold standard for bad exits, in so many ways. The timing of bowl games and recruiting deadlines kind of dictates when coaches leave and any hint of a discussion with other teams puts coaches in a tough position if asked. It may not seem to cool but honestly, what choice do they have?

To criticize Saban would be to criticize most coaches that move.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I hadn't given Saban's leaving Miami a second thought until this thread. Petrino set and maintains the gold standard for bad exits, in so many ways. The timing of bowl games and recruiting deadlines kind of dictates when coaches leave and any hint of a discussions with other teams puts coaches in a tough position if asked. It may not seem to cool but honestly, what choice do they have?

To criticize Saban would be to criticize most coaches that move.
You may not have given much thought to it, but we (and he also) have had our noses rubbed in it since he left there. The worst offenders are, of course, the south FL media gang...

taddy

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 25, 2012
You may not have given much thought to it, but we (and he also) have had our noses rubbed in it since he left there. The worst offenders are, of course, the south FL media gang...
That's too bad. Thankfully I don't really care what south Florida media thinks but I understand.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
That's too bad. Thankfully I don't really care what south Florida media thinks but I understand.
We don't catch it just from them. Our SEC rivals use it to repeatedly call him a liar. It was even attempted to be used in recruiting against him. One thing all recruits parent say about him is that he is a straight shooter. He first talks with them about academics and the importance of obtaining a degree. Then he tells them the challenges they will face obtaining PT at Bama and how much work it's going to take. I guess one of his more quoted lines was when he told Julio Jones that we would win with him or we would win without him. That was what Julio said made the difference - and he didn't choose OK. It really stinks coming from the Auburn fans. They hired Tubberville away from OM at a time when he was saying he would only leave Oxford in a pine box. I was in a position to know that he'd already accepted AU's offer. I could go on...

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
The whole medical hardship thing REALLY chaps my rear end. If you have a kid who has been told by physicians that he should NOT play football, then he should NOT play football. There have only been a handful of kids who this applies to in recent memory--if I am wrong, please correct me. The AJC made a MOUNT EVEREST out of a mole hill last year with the kid who lost his scholly before signing day--which opened up his signing somewhere else. With signing limits, CNS can't be blamed for what happened there. The players already on the team have their scholarships HONORED therefore giving them a FREE education. There are NO losers here but the media sure can make it seem like it. I think CNS handles things like this with honor and class. I admire him for his NO-BS and NO EXCUSES policy.

As stated above, there has never been a cover up of anything under CNS's watch. Penn State and Notre Dame cannot speak the same. :rolleye2:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.