Page 1 of 11 12345678 ... LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

How Many Bowl Games are too Many?

Since I have yet to watch a bowl game and reading some of the comments on here so far; it appears that attendance and viewing is down. Also there is thought that the new playoff format will further devalue a majority of the current bowls. What y'all's take.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2...re_too_ma.html
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

2. Advertisement

Re: How Many Bowl Games are too Many?

As long as there are sponsors who are willing to pay to put the bowls on it shouldn't really matter. It always cracks me up when I hear people complain that there are too many bowls on or complain that no one wants to watch a match up between 2 six win teams. If you don't like it change the channel. No one is making you watch and they don't effect our game one bit. I never hear anyone complain there are too many games on during the regular season. There are plenty of games on tv every Saturday during the season that we might not be interested in, but for some reason during the bowl season games that don't interest us means there are too many. Personally I'd rather have the option of watching two six win teams play than not.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Tidewater's Avatar
    My Mood
    Brooding on TideFans.com

When a 6-7 team goes to a bowl game, there are too many.

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

7-6 and its too many! The market is flooded and there is nothing anyone can do at this point!
    ROLL TIDE!

There should be about eight or 10 bowl games, that's it.

Six is probably the best number. It should be a reward for an excellent team having a great season, not barely breaking .500.
    DISCLAIMER: I hereby reserve the right to discuss any game on the Alabama schedule I wish, at any time during the season, as I am not a part of the Crimson Tide football program. I am simply a fan who has no impact outside of the money I provide the athletic department via ticket and memorabilia purchases and the energy I can provide when I attend the games. ©2009-2014, crimsonaudio

Lurch Backwater!

Quote Originally Posted by Tidewater View Post
    Can you please explain to me why this is bothersome to you? The days of a few bowls that are some big reward ended 30 years ago and we aren't going back to 4 or 5 bowls. That ship has sailed. Please explain to me how instead of simply looking at the tv guide and deciding you aren't interested in the games and doing something else, you see games you don't want to watch and decide there are too many?

Does it knock something off of tv you really want to see?

BamaNation All-American bamabelle1991's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tidewater View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JBama_in_PCOLA View Post
    7-6 and its too many! The market is flooded and there is nothing anyone can do at this point!
    Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    There should be about eight or 10 bowl games, that's it.

Six is probably the best number. It should be a reward for an excellent team having a great season, not barely breaking .500.
    Couldn't agree more. At some point, these sponsors will get tired of paying big bucks to have 10K show up in person to watch. At least that is what I am hoping for!

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

In the past getting a bowl invitation meant a team had a good season and it was a reward for its hard work and performance. Now with 35 bowls it is a matter of (in most cases) winning half of your games and finishing in the top 70 of the FCS. IMO the bowls should be limited to the top 25-30 teams based on the final BCS poll. That is still 12-15 bowl games.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

I love college football so my answer is there are never too many.I love to watch the match ups between teams that rarely play.

BamaNation First Team BamaAlum97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tru2thaduce View Post
    I love college football so my answer is there are never too many.I love to watch the match ups between teams that rarely play.
    In 2 weeks everyone will be complaining that the college football is over...More bowl games means more college football. A lot of these games might not be important to the entire nation, but they are the biggest thing going for the players and fans of the schools involved.
    Twitter: @BamaAlum97

The University of Alabama: Class of 1997
    Oklahoma State University: Class of 2005

There is a fine line between being a "die-hard" fan and just another critic!

BamaNation Hall of Fame DiamondDust's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tru2thaduce View Post
    Agreed... there isn't much else on today so I'm actually welcoming the 4 bowl game block... regardless the quality.
    “We have 45 men suited up. They're all supposed to be ready to play.”

-Bill Belichick

BamaNation Hall of Fame Tidewater's Avatar
    My Mood
    Brooding on TideFans.com

Well, it is simply (an admittedly subjective) commitment to excellence. I believe in rewarding excellence and punishing failure.
    A team going into a bowl game at 6-7 is not excellent. They're not even competent.

BamaNation First Team BamaGreek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DiamondDust View Post
    Agreed... there isn't much else on today so I'm actually welcoming the 4 bowl game block... regardless the quality.
    5 bowl games on today!