Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    BamaNation All-American bamabelle1991's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: How Many Bowl Games are too Many?

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    I didn't say a thing about handing out trophies.
    A 6-6 record qualifies for a "participation trophy" by nature. You didn't have to say it.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame CrimsonSEC's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

These games don't exist so we can see them. They're meant for the the 2 schools participating and whatever boon they bring to the local economys. You all might as well be complaining about ESPN for putting the games on TV. Better yet, complain about the NCAA rules for bowl eligibility. If this (games) weren't on TV today, you'd be doing something else, so turn off the TV and go do something else.
    Lee

"A long way," he said after being asked how far the Crimson Tide had come since Coach Nick Saban arrived three years ago. "I guess you could say it's the distance from Shreveport to Pasadena."
    Mike Johnson

BamaNation All-American B1GTide's Avatar
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by bamabelle1991 View Post
    A 6-6 record qualifies for a "participation trophy" by nature. You didn't have to say it.
    Just because you feel this way does not make it so.

I get not enjoying games that are not competitive, but many of these bowl games are more competitive than regular season games. There are some pretty good players out there, making very memorable plays - even in bowl games with names that we might not recognize.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

The number of games doesn't bother me at all. I watch the ones that interest me, heck, I'll even watch one that doesn't interest me if there is nothing better on tv at the time. A bad bowl game beats most any of the reality tv shows that seem to be airing constantly, it also beats seeing say... North Carolina or Duke beating some multi-directional school by 60+ in basketball, but that's just me. As previously posted, if the game has no interest for you, watch something else.
    Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.

BamaNation All-SEC 37bamagreats55's Avatar

Complaining because schools that you deem "unworthy" get to play in a bowl game? Those kids have probably worked harder to achieve a 6-6 season than most of those complaining have ever worked in their lives.
    That sure is a blanket statement.

On topic, there are too many bowl games.

Complaining because schools that you deem "unworthy" get to play in a bowl game? Those kids have probably worked harder to achieve a 6-6 season than most of those complaining have ever worked in their lives.
    So what? They may have worked hard, but they stunk as a team and shouldn't be rewarded for the poor results. Results are what counts, not how much effort went into it, otherwise we wouldn't keep score.
    DISCLAIMER: I hereby reserve the right to discuss any game on the Alabama schedule I wish, at any time during the season, as I am not a part of the Crimson Tide football program. I am simply a fan who has no impact outside of the money I provide the athletic department via ticket and memorabilia purchases and the energy I can provide when I attend the games. 2009-2014, crimsonaudio

Lurch Backwater!

BamaNation First Team
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Bring them on, i enjoy the bowls.

Quote Originally Posted by Dallas4Bama View Post
    I can understand that. My question which no one seems to want to answer is this. Given that these games don't interest you, why is it you feel these games should be denied to those who will watch? That don't effect you at all. They aren't knocking other programs off the air, you aren't required to watch them and they have zero affect on our game. Instead of saying there are too many why not just say you don't care?
    Because it absolutely cheapens the 'reward' of paying in a bowl game. It benefits teams (financially, extra coverage, extra practice time) that don't deserve.

I care because I think it cheapens the sport.
    DISCLAIMER: I hereby reserve the right to discuss any game on the Alabama schedule I wish, at any time during the season, as I am not a part of the Crimson Tide football program. I am simply a fan who has no impact outside of the money I provide the athletic department via ticket and memorabilia purchases and the energy I can provide when I attend the games. 2009-2014, crimsonaudio

Lurch Backwater!

BamaNation All-SEC 37bamagreats55's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    So what? They may have worked hard, but they stunk as a team and shouldn't be rewarded for the poor results. Results are what counts, not how much effort went into it, otherwise we wouldn't keep score.
    I agree.
    I'm not ready to say that a person who plays college football and almost certainly has their education paid for (I realize sometimes these players don't have scholarships) to do so, works harder than the person who has a wife, two kids, two jobs and puts themselves through school.

My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Let's put a face on the discussion - How many playing in bowls deserve to play in those bowls more than the kids playing for Air Force or Navy? Anyone?

Let's put a face on the discussion - How many playing in bowls deserve to play in those bowls more than the kids playing for Air Force or Navy? Anyone?
    Those who won enough games. Army went 2-10, should they be bowling?

Look, I respect these guys for their service, but they play awful football. They don't deserve to be in a bowl game.

Lurch Backwater!

My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Those who won enough games. Army went 2-10, should they be bowling?

Look, I respect these guys for their service, but they play awful football. They don't deserve to be in a bowl game.
    I guess that is where we diverge - I don't think that any team that isn't among the top 12-16 teams deserves to be considered for tournament play, but the bowls have not been about that in a very long time. They no longer decide, or have any bearing on, the national championship. So, if all but one of the bowls are only about cashing in on the sport, why not have more? The top teams are not hurt, and these lower echelon teams benefit. The teams that really under-perform are left at home, but most have an attainable goal for which they can strive in following years.

The reality - this expanding bowl involvement may be the only thing holding a full-on playoff at bay, as more schools get a piece of the pie. These bowls are preserving the sport as we love it.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Big A Re: How Many Bowl Games are too Many?

I personally like a lot of post season games. It's good for the sport and all of us fans that love it IMO. What I don't like are some, make that most of the matchups. I really wish we would finally get to a 32 team playoff and incorporate the bowls in that format. It is going to happen some day and I wish we would hurry up and get there. Winter Madness sounds like a good bowl postseason to me...and a guarantee of some awesome matchups.
    "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present."

Oogway, Kung Fu Panda