Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Re: How Many Bowl Games are too Many?

I just hate to see bowl games played with stadiums having very few fans. Some of these bowl games probably need to be played in high school or small college stadiums.

If a school's fan base is NOT going to a game to support their team, should they even be invited?
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give me Liberty, or give me Death!" Patrick Henry

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-SEC

I don't mind the silly little ones. If I had to pick I'd say about 15, with no restrictions except good competition on who goes where. Nobody with a .500 record or below should qualify. They make good money for the cities that host them. Some of the smaller ones with stadiums 25% full are going to fold eventually, but more will crop up to take their place. If my choice is a couple of 7-6 teams playing a close, well-played game, I'd rather watch a lot of that than any level of basketball. Sports is a wasteland for me between the Super Bowl and MLB and I'm not that excited about the NFL, so I'm ok with it. I will definitely watch Texas Ore State tonight.
    Roll Tide

BamaNation Hall of Fame Tide1986's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bamaro View Post
    Any bowl that I dont recognize its name is too many.
    Hmmm...that's kind of harsh and not very "inclusive" of you. Maybe you're a closet conservative.

Anyway, on topic, I would be very supportive of raising the bowl eligibility requirement to at least 7 wins as others have suggested. Plus, I would exclude any victories over non-FBS teams. However, I really don't care how many bowl games there are -- I've enjoyed every game I've watched thus far, excepting the VT/Rutgers game.
    The Concord Blue Devils, 16-Time World Champions: 2014 (99.65), 2012, 2010, 2009, 2007, 2003, 1999, 1997, 1996, 1994, 1986, 1982, 1980, 1979, 1977, & 1976. Enriching the lives of young people through a commitment to youth development and performance excellence.

“The discovery of a wine is of greater moment than the discovery of a constellation. The universe is too full of stars.” ― Benjamin Franklin

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    So what? They may have worked hard, but they stunk as a team and shouldn't be rewarded for the poor results. Results are what counts, not how much effort went into it, otherwise we wouldn't keep score.
    Does Saban's own rhetoric somewhat disagree with this?
    The Concord Blue Devils, 16-Time World Champions: 2014 (99.65), 2012, 2010, 2009, 2007, 2003, 1999, 1997, 1996, 1994, 1986, 1982, 1980, 1979, 1977, & 1976. Enriching the lives of young people through a commitment to youth development and performance excellence.

“The discovery of a wine is of greater moment than the discovery of a constellation. The universe is too full of stars.” ― Benjamin Franklin

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

It would be interesting to see how much money these schools actually net when playing in these minor league bowls. I actually watched about 2 minutes of the Syracuse vs WVU in Yankee Stadium. The crowd looked to be about 15,000 maybe. I would suspect this bowl has a very short life span.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    The reality - this expanding bowl involvement may be the only thing holding a full-on playoff at bay, as more schools get a piece of the pie. These bowls are preserving the sport as we love it.
    This is the only good point you've made in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Tide1986 View Post
    Does Saban's own rhetoric somewhat disagree with this?
    I dunno, possibly. I don't really care - CNS is a great coach but that doesn't mean I agree with every thought he has.
    DISCLAIMER: I hereby reserve the right to discuss any game on the Alabama schedule I wish, at any time during the season, as I am not a part of the Crimson Tide football program. I am simply a fan who has no impact outside of the money I provide the athletic department via ticket and memorabilia purchases and the energy I can provide when I attend the games. ©2009-2014, crimsonaudio

Lurch Backwater!

Quote Originally Posted by Tide1986 View Post
    This is the only good point you've made in my opinion.
    That's cool - I was only expressing my opinion.

BamaNation All-American bamabelle1991's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Just because you feel this way does not make it so.

I get not enjoying games that are not competitive, but many of these bowl games are more competitive than regular season games. There are some pretty good players out there, making very memorable plays - even in bowl games with names that we might not recognize.
    And, just because YOU feel a certain way, doesn't make it so.

As to your second paragraph, I agree.

The reality - this expanding bowl involvement may be the only thing holding a full-on playoff at bay, as more schools get a piece of the pie. These bowls are preserving the sport as we love it.
    The bowls do preserve the sport and may help keep a full blow playoff at bay, but there are still TOO many of them, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by bamabelle1991 View Post
    And, just because YOU feel a certain way, doesn't make it so.
    I apologize if my posts offended. I am simply stating my opinion - not suggesting that any others should not be expressed.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by SavannahDare View Post
    I'm one of those that believes bowl games should be the top tier teams in the country playing each other, period. If I had my way, there would only be about a dozen games. If your team isn't good enough to land in the top 24, your season ends in early December (or late November).

Of course, those days of rewarding high levels of achievement are in the rear view mirror, unlikely ever to return.
    The last time there were only a dozen bowl games was in 1976. I thought you were only 29.

Anyway, how did you like the 1976 Independence Bowl pitting McNeese State against Tulsa?

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    *sigh*

I've made it clear how I feel, the assumptions you make do not match what I clearly stated above. The benefits of extra practice and exposure help the program and int today's 'everyone deserves a trophy' culture, that advantage is being reduced.

Beyond that, spin it however you wish, I'm not going to argue with you or point-by-point refute your post.
    That's ok, I'm clear on where you're coming from. Your answer is basically that you just don't like it because to you think it's unfair to allow what amounts to an award in your mind. Even though I would argue the award is really to those of us who enjoy watching football. What is interesting is that because you don't like it you want to deny others the option to watch.

If you knew me you'd know I hate the everyone gets a trophy mentality. We keep score at my house and there are winners and losers. We don't pretend after our boys games that they won if they lost. As for these bowls there is only one trophy and we're playing for it. I don't think any of these teams in El Paso, Ft Worth or Birmingham have any illusions that they are playing for the trophy. They're aware they're losers. So these games have zero impact on our game or the trophy.

BTW, I'm not arguing with you to try and change your mind nor do I disrespect your position. I find this whole conversation very interesting from a social study standpoint. I like to see wherqe public sentiment comes from and how that public would apply it to other areas of life. There are people who will demand they are for choice in certain areas of life, but have no problem denying choice to others when it suits them. I also find it interesting that those who believe in personal freedoms want to deny others the chance to make a choice for themselves. It's just an interesting look into human nature that you can discover while discussing sports.

BamaNation All-American bamabelle1991's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I apologize if my posts offended. I am simply stating my opinion - not suggesting that any others should not be expressed.
    No worries. I've been criticized on here before for my rigid opinion on "participation trophy syndrome". haha. I don't take offense to it. Most people are shocked that I can be a mom and hate participation trophies. It's usually the mothers who ask for them. I just don't fit that "soccer mom" mold well. I am competitive and have a "no excuses" philosophy on life. I actually feel sorry for my husband and kids...