Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: How Many Bowl Games are too Many?

Quote Originally Posted by Dallas4Bama View Post
    What is interesting is that because you don't like it you want to deny others the option to watch.
    I never said any such thing - that's quite a straw man. I've simply stated I think anything more than about 10 bowl games is ridiculous and awards mediocrity. I love watching college football, watch far more than most anyone else I know, but I don't care for crappy football - so I don't watch all these awful match-ups.
    DISCLAIMER: I hereby reserve the right to discuss any game on the Alabama schedule I wish, at any time during the season, as I am not a part of the Crimson Tide football program. I am simply a fan who has no impact outside of the money I provide the athletic department via ticket and memorabilia purchases and the energy I can provide when I attend the games. 2009-2014, crimsonaudio

Lurch Backwater!

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Second Team AmeliaGayle's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Bookworm on TideFans.com

The only objective answer to how many bowls are too many is, one more bowl than the free market will support. Anything else is just an expression of personal preference. We all have opinions about which bowls are unwatchable, and about how successful a season must be in order to warrant being rewarded with a bowl. Doubtless, these opinions are biased by Bama's status as the kings of the mountain. Down here in Mobile, folks would be ecstatic if our South Alabama Jaguars gained a spot in the Liquid Plumr Bowl. Some might argue that having so many bowls cheapens the game's integrity, but the integrity of a game has more to do with the heart of the players than the name of the sponsor. I do hope that the free market will force the powers that be to reform bowl selection system. No one who loves the game should have to watch NIU vs FSU as the feature game New Years Day evening.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

How Many Bowl Games are too Many?

Quote Originally Posted by Tide1986 View Post
    The last time there were only a dozen bowl games was in 1976. I thought you were only 29.

Anyway, how did you like the 1976 Independence Bowl pitting McNeese State against Tulsa?
    LOL, I cut my teeth on football during the 70's (29 is far in my rearview). I'd say Tulsa-McNeese may have been the beginning of the ridiculosity that has become bowl season.
    "Sometimes the juice is worth the squeeze." - Marcus Luttrell, 'Service - A Navy SEAL at War'

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    I never said any such thing - that's quite a straw man. I've simply stated I think anything more than about 10 bowl games is ridiculous and awards mediocrity. I love watching college football, watch far more than most anyone else I know, but I don't care for crappy football - so I don't watch all these awful match-ups.
    Ok, this is why I was so confused by your post. The question asked in the original post was "how many bowl games are too many?". If someone believes there are too many, then they believe there should be less. If you believe there should be less, then you believe there should be less on tv. If there were less then people wouldn't be able to watch them. So you would in effect be denying people the option to watch the games.

My point all along is simply that I don't watch them all, but the ones that I don't watch sure don't bother me enough to make me say I think there are too many. Like you I simply don't watch those that aren't interesting, but someone finds then interesting. Sometimes its just nice to have football available.

For example, I was stuck inside this afternoon and my options were reruns of House, CSI, Law and Order or the Pin Stripe Bowl. I was sure thankful for the pin stripe bowl.

I will say that bowls viewed from the standpoint of reward shouldn't be including six win teams. But I just believe the entire idea of bowls being rewards is long past. For years I have just looked at them as post season exhibition games. They aren't for anything, so in my mind its simply exhibition.
    Last edited by Dallas4Bama; December 29th, 2012 at 06:10 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Buzzed on TideFans.com

Thanks for the very appropriate thread, Gray!

Have we diluted the value of the bowl games? I think we have to some degree. Not just because of quantity....but also quality. The fiasco we had this year with last minute "musical chairs" for me was a little ridiculous. An indication for me there is too much money involved with the decision making. But as has been said...we cannot go back...that ship has sailed.

All that said....I am enjoying the extra college games. There are some great story lines behind some of the games too including their past bowl history - team history with their opponent - their coaching staff and changes to it - and their players. Much of this we don't hear about during the regular season because we are more focused on our team. I also enjoy the halftime shows.

What bothers me the most is the re-naming of bowls to include private entities. Valero Alamo Bowl? Give me a break.

BamaNation First Team Bigalstide1877's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Aggressive on TideFans.com

I think you should have 9 win teams to go to a bowl game all these teams 6-6 playing each makes a horrible game.

Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like

true football fans love the games - team fans not so much.
    Last edited by CRIMSON HAMMAH; December 29th, 2012 at 09:14 PM.

Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like

wrong 6 6 vs 6 6 have been awesome games

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by CRIMSON HAMMAH View Post
    true football fans love the games - team fans not so much.
    LOL
    DISCLAIMER: I hereby reserve the right to discuss any game on the Alabama schedule I wish, at any time during the season, as I am not a part of the Crimson Tide football program. I am simply a fan who has no impact outside of the money I provide the athletic department via ticket and memorabilia purchases and the energy I can provide when I attend the games. 2009-2014, crimsonaudio

Lurch Backwater!

BamaNation All-SEC rolltideface's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

does not bother me a bit. Don't like it? don't watch it. I'm watching the Chicken Wing Bowl- better than anything else on. It's not like any of these games matter in the grand scheme of things anyway. If they wanna play- go for it. It gives teams extra practice time- maybe even a chance to be on national tv for the first time this year. Who cares if they are 6-6 or 8-4? Doesn't mean squat. I like it.

BamaNation All-SEC Perrett4Bama's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

The more the merrier......I love watching college football..... the market will work itself out...if no one watches then the sponsors will flee. There must be someone watching because the # of bowl games seem to increase each year.
    "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth." Genesis 1:1

BamaNation Hall of Fame GreatDanish's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I get not wanting to reward mediocrity, but I do like having some CFB on tv during December. Heck, I would be fine with every team getting a bowl invite. I might even enjoy seeing Umass play Southern Miss, duking it out to avoid being the worst team in CFB.

Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like

i see 99% passion ....fired up players in last game forever....springing board for next yr next spring...alot of games alot of chippiness....ga tech usc will be a brawl...