How Many Bowl Games are too Many?

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I'm one of those that believes bowl games should be the top tier teams in the country playing each other, period. If I had my way, there would only be about a dozen games. If your team isn't good enough to land in the top 24, your season ends in early December (or late November).

Of course, those days of rewarding high levels of achievement are in the rear view mirror, unlikely ever to return. :(
I approve this statement. It reminds me of one of KRazy's favorite terms "inclusiveness". This includes the SEC as well, IMO Ole Miss and MSU do not deserve a bowl game this year, nor did Alabama in 2007 and 2004 or the 1998 team that got pounded by Va Tech in Nashville. If a team cannot win 2/3 of its 12 games then it needs to stay at home during the holidays.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
When they become ESPN Bowl Games instead of naturally created grass root ventures. The Bowl in B-Ham is an ESPN Bowl where the sponsor is basically there as television commercials. When Papa Johns was the sponsor they didn't have a presence at the game other than name on the field.

We could have 100 Bowl games if they were all grass roots imo.

A tidbit - The current OUTBACK BOWL morphed from Birmingham's old Hall of Fame Bowl. That was our last real grass roots top Division Bowl Game.

I approve this statement. It reminds me of one of KRazy's favorite terms "inclusiveness". This includes the SEC as well, IMO Ole Miss and MSU do not deserve a bowl game this year, nor did Alabama in 2007 and 2004 or the 1998 team that got pounded by Va Tech in Nashville. If a team cannot win 2/3 of its 12 games then it needs to stay at home during the holidays.
Exactly how in feel. Of course it's good to be there, but it just doesn't feel right. It's like going to church and you just left the club...

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
i use to enjoy that college all star game played on christmas day. They canceled it years ago. Anyone remember what it was called? it was played in Montgomery every year.
I remember having to watch the Blue-Gray Game on Christmas Day as a child. I hated my great uncle because of that! LOL! Now, I would probably drive to Montgomery to watch it in person!

I remember having to watch the Blue-Gray Game on Christmas Day as a child. I hated my great uncle because of that! LOL! Now, I would probably drive to Montgomery to watch it in person!
I loved the game, but being the oldest boy in my family, I missed out on a lot when you're almost totally surrounded by women who were not football fans.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
IIRC the Blue always won because all of the Alabama, auburn, UT, UGA and LSU players were in bowl games and could not participate. The sponsor for years was Kelley Tires.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
IIRC the Blue always won because all of the Alabama, auburn, UT, UGA and LSU players were in bowl games and could not participate. The sponsor for years was Kelley Tires.
The real culprit was the proliferation of bowl games. As hen number of bowls grew, fewer and fewer players were available...

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
I love the bowl games. We spend a lot of time at deer camp this time of year and it's great to have a ball game on as background, if nothing else.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Annnnnnnnnnnd...

In an ironic twist that only happens a few times in one's entire life - I'm going to the Liberty Bowl tomorrow to watch the powerhouse Iowa State Cyclones take on the Tulsa Golden Hurricanes. Free tix with a good friend and I've nothing else to do, so I'm off to watch mediocre football at its worst, err, best!

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Annnnnnnnnnnd...

In an ironic twist that only happens a few times in one's entire life - I'm going to the Liberty Bowl tomorrow to watch the powerhouse Iowa State Cyclones take on the Tulsa Golden Hurricanes. Free tix with a good friend and I've nothing else to do, so I'm off to watch mediocre football at its worst, err, best!
Hypocrisy...right?

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
So, given the standard that most of us have advocated, the following bowl games would be erased from our history:

1944 Sugar Bowl 5-2-2 Loss
1953 Cotton Bowl 6-3-3 Loss
1959 Liberty Bowl 7-2-2 Loss
1969 Liberty Bowl 6-5 Loss
1970 Bluebonnet Bowl 6-5-1 Tie
1987 Hall of Fame Bowl 7-5 Loss
1990 Fiesta Bowl 7-5 Loss
1998 Music City Bowl 7-5 Loss
2001 Independence Bowl 7-5 Win
2004 Music City Bowl 6-6 Loss
2006 Independence Bowl 6-7 Loss
2007 Independence Bowl 7-6 Win

So, some interesting observations:

+ The standard most of us have advocated appears to never have existed (effectively).
+ Two of our bowl victories would be erased.
+ However, we lost most of these bowl games anyway (9 in total).

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.