Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How Many Bowl Games are too Many?

great post and brings up another reason to watch - december are all non sec games and these days every window but late late west coast games almost always have a compelling sec game to watch/11am 230 5 6 pm windows...true some excruciating but most awesome

and u can't appreciate the thrill of victory without the agony of defeat...can't appreciate a thriller without investing time in some dogs
    Last edited by CRIMSON HAMMAH; December 30th, 2012 at 11:39 AM.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-SEC RammerJammer15's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    So what? They may have worked hard, but they stunk as a team and shouldn't be rewarded for the poor results. Results are what counts, not how much effort went into it, otherwise we wouldn't keep score.
    So we shouldn't have got invited to the Independence Bowl in 2007, Music City Bowl in 2004?

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

How Many Bowl Games are too Many?

Quote Originally Posted by RammerJammer15 View Post
    So we shouldn't have got invited to the Independence Bowl in 2007, Music City Bowl in 2004?
    Well, if the shoe fits!

BamaNation All-American Crimson1967's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I skimmed part of the thread and got a general feel of how people feel. I think people who say there are too many yearn for the days when a bowl game meant something special. Those days aren't returning and I agree you don't have to watch games if you don't want to. There are tons of games on every Saturday and my viewing is limited to the Bama game and mostly other SEC games. If a big national game is on, I'll watch it.

I don't think the BCS hurts other game's ratings. I think the number of games is what hurts the ratings. Someone said in 1976 we had 12 bowl games. Well, four of them were on New Year's Day and the Bluebonnet Bowl was on New Year's Eve. So we only had seven other games spread out the rest of late December. (And only the one in Memphis was very important).

So if a bowl game came on, you had to watch it because there weren't many left. Now, there is no sense of urgency to see a game because there are still plenty more to watch. So a bowl game has gone from an event, must see TV, to just something else on the schedule. Also, if you didn't want to see the 1976 Peach Bowl, you only had two other choices on TV. Now there are a lot more viewing choices, which hurts ratings across the board.

Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like

Side note weather forecast for bama nd went from 30% rain tstorms to a big fat zero....

Nothing wrong with games everyday and nothing right about eliminating games as long as they keep the games evenly matched as possible - 66 vs 66 not 92's vs 66....which they do ....if u want to wait for jan games wait for jan games and fuggedbout dec games

Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like

No they do not suck they won 6 and rewarded with a december bowl and they know full well they are not in a jan bowl

Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like

07 independence great game and spring board

ANOTHER GOOD REASON TO WATCH WHO'S SPRING BOARDING AND WHO IS NOT .....ARIZ ST SPRING BOARDED MICH ST SPRING BOARDED TEXAS HUGE SPRING BOARDERS

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

How Many Bowl Games are too Many?

Either way we are going to be force fed these games. Might as well enjoy them while they last. May 29, 2013 we'll be begging for college football, though I'm good with NBA basketball playoffs.

10. December 30th, 2012, 12:04 PM

Reason
    Have a nice vacation.

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Amazed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by SavannahDare View Post
    I'm one of those that believes bowl games should be the top tier teams in the country playing each other, period. If I had my way, there would only be about a dozen games. If your team isn't good enough to land in the top 24, your season ends in early December (or late November).

Of course, those days of rewarding high levels of achievement are in the rear view mirror, unlikely ever to return.

Wow, what a powerful statement! I agree and applaud you for saying it.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by RammerJammer15 View Post
    In my opinion, we did not deserve bowl games those years. I watched them as a Bama fan, pulled for us, etc, but neither of those teams were better than mediocre.
    DISCLAIMER: I hereby reserve the right to discuss any game on the Alabama schedule I wish, at any time during the season, as I am not a part of the Crimson Tide football program. I am simply a fan who has no impact outside of the money I provide the athletic department via ticket and memorabilia purchases and the energy I can provide when I attend the games. 2009-2014, crimsonaudio

Lurch Backwater!

BamaNation Hall of Fame TexasBama's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

When youre sweating having enough bowl eligible teams in week 12 thats too many

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SavannahDare View Post
    I'm one of those that believes bowl games should be the top tier teams in the country playing each other, period. If I had my way, there would only be about a dozen games. If your team isn't good enough to land in the top 24, your season ends in early December (or late November).

Of course, those days of rewarding high levels of achievement are in the rear view mirror, unlikely ever to return.
    I approve this statement. It reminds me of one of KRazy's favorite terms "inclusiveness". This includes the SEC as well, IMO Ole Miss and MSU do not deserve a bowl game this year, nor did Alabama in 2007 and 2004 or the 1998 team that got pounded by Va Tech in Nashville. If a team cannot win 2/3 of its 12 games then it needs to stay at home during the holidays.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

When they become ESPN Bowl Games instead of naturally created grass root ventures. The Bowl in B-Ham is an ESPN Bowl where the sponsor is basically there as television commercials. When Papa Johns was the sponsor they didn't have a presence at the game other than name on the field.

We could have 100 Bowl games if they were all grass roots imo.

A tidbit - The current OUTBACK BOWL morphed from Birmingham's old Hall of Fame Bowl. That was our last real grass roots top Division Bowl Game.