How Many Bowl Games are too Many?

KnockturnalTide

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 8, 2012
A, A
I think it comes down to how some of us think its not good to reward sub-par performance. Post season play should be a reward for those teams that perform better than a .500 season. Maybe they should change the requirement to have at least 8 wins on the season instead of 6. At the very least make it 7 wins. Hey even though you only successfully completed half the race here is an award for a job done not well. Its not necessarily about caring or not caring about the games that are on. Happy that they have gotten the opportunity to get that bowl game money but did the product of their season's work warrant that?

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Complaining because schools that you deem "unworthy" get to play in a bowl game? Those kids have probably worked harder to achieve a 6-6 season than most of those complaining have ever worked in their lives.

Last edited:

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
Complaining because schools that you deem "unworthy" get to play in a bowl game? Those kids have probably worked harder to achieve a 6-6 seson than most of those complaining have ever worked in their lives.
So, we are back to a "trophy for participation" mentality? I respectfully disagree. I'm fairly certain that the LIFE I have lived since age 18 is worthy of comparison to any college football player. I'd fathom the same applies to nearly everyone posting on Tide Fans today--especially those who have served their country in times of war.

The good thing about the bowl season from here on out, there are some very good games ahead of us! I am especially looking forward to the "Snow/Freezing Rain/Sleet" Bowl from Yankee Stadium today. :)

CrimsonSEC

Hall of Fame
Jan 8, 2007
Brewton
These games don't exist so we can see them. They're meant for the the 2 schools participating and whatever boon they bring to the local economys. You all might as well be complaining about ESPN for putting the games on TV. Better yet, complain about the NCAA rules for bowl eligibility. If this (games) weren't on TV today, you'd be doing something else, so turn off the TV and go do something else.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
A 6-6 record qualifies for a "participation trophy" by nature. You didn't have to say it.
Just because you feel this way does not make it so.

I get not enjoying games that are not competitive, but many of these bowl games are more competitive than regular season games. There are some pretty good players out there, making very memorable plays - even in bowl games with names that we might not recognize.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
The number of games doesn't bother me at all. I watch the ones that interest me, heck, I'll even watch one that doesn't interest me if there is nothing better on tv at the time. A bad bowl game beats most any of the reality tv shows that seem to be airing constantly, it also beats seeing say... North Carolina or Duke beating some multi-directional school by 60+ in basketball, but that's just me. As previously posted, if the game has no interest for you, watch something else.

37bamagreats55

All-American
Apr 1, 2003
Gardendale, AL
Complaining because schools that you deem "unworthy" get to play in a bowl game? Those kids have probably worked harder to achieve a 6-6 season than most of those complaining have ever worked in their lives.
That sure is a blanket statement.

On topic, there are too many bowl games.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
So what? They may have worked hard, but they stunk as a team and shouldn't be rewarded for the poor results. Results are what counts, not how much effort went into it, otherwise we wouldn't keep score.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I can understand that. My question which no one seems to want to answer is this. Given that these games don't interest you, why is it you feel these games should be denied to those who will watch? That don't effect you at all. They aren't knocking other programs off the air, you aren't required to watch them and they have zero affect on our game. Instead of saying there are too many why not just say you don't care?
Because it absolutely cheapens the 'reward' of paying in a bowl game. It benefits teams (financially, extra coverage, extra practice time) that don't deserve.

I care because I think it cheapens the sport.

37bamagreats55

All-American
Apr 1, 2003
Gardendale, AL
So what? They may have worked hard, but they stunk as a team and shouldn't be rewarded for the poor results. Results are what counts, not how much effort went into it, otherwise we wouldn't keep score.
I agree.
I'm not ready to say that a person who plays college football and almost certainly has their education paid for (I realize sometimes these players don't have scholarships) to do so, works harder than the person who has a wife, two kids, two jobs and puts themselves through school.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Let's put a face on the discussion - How many playing in bowls deserve to play in those bowls more than the kids playing for Air Force or Navy? Anyone?

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Let's put a face on the discussion - How many playing in bowls deserve to play in those bowls more than the kids playing for Air Force or Navy? Anyone?
Those who won enough games. Army went 2-10, should they be bowling?

Look, I respect these guys for their service, but they play awful football. They don't deserve to be in a bowl game.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Those who won enough games. Army went 2-10, should they be bowling?

Look, I respect these guys for their service, but they play awful football. They don't deserve to be in a bowl game.
I guess that is where we diverge - I don't think that any team that isn't among the top 12-16 teams deserves to be considered for tournament play, but the bowls have not been about that in a very long time. They no longer decide, or have any bearing on, the national championship. So, if all but one of the bowls are only about cashing in on the sport, why not have more? The top teams are not hurt, and these lower echelon teams benefit. The teams that really under-perform are left at home, but most have an attainable goal for which they can strive in following years.

The reality - this expanding bowl involvement may be the only thing holding a full-on playoff at bay, as more schools get a piece of the pie. These bowls are preserving the sport as we love it.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
I personally like a lot of post season games. It's good for the sport and all of us fans that love it IMO. What I don't like are some, make that most of the matchups. I really wish we would finally get to a 32 team playoff and incorporate the bowls in that format. It is going to happen some day and I wish we would hurry up and get there. Winter Madness sounds like a good bowl postseason to me...and a guarantee of some awesome matchups.

OreBama

All-American
Sep 26, 2005
Portland, OR
I take no issue in the number of bowl games. If I'm not interested in a particular match-up I don't watch.

Also, the BCS bowl are clearly labelled as the top tier bowls and recognized as much. Going to a bowl today, in general, doesn't mean what it used to. However, going to a BCS bowl is the equivalent of what it used to mean.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.