How Many Bowl Games are too Many?

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
Just because you feel this way does not make it so.

I get not enjoying games that are not competitive, but many of these bowl games are more competitive than regular season games. There are some pretty good players out there, making very memorable plays - even in bowl games with names that we might not recognize.
And, just because YOU feel a certain way, doesn't make it so. :rolleye2:

As to your second paragraph, I agree.

The reality - this expanding bowl involvement may be the only thing holding a full-on playoff at bay, as more schools get a piece of the pie. These bowls are preserving the sport as we love it.
The bowls do preserve the sport and may help keep a full blow playoff at bay, but there are still TOO many of them, IMO. :)

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
I'm one of those that believes bowl games should be the top tier teams in the country playing each other, period. If I had my way, there would only be about a dozen games. If your team isn't good enough to land in the top 24, your season ends in early December (or late November).

Of course, those days of rewarding high levels of achievement are in the rear view mirror, unlikely ever to return. :(
The last time there were only a dozen bowl games was in 1976. I thought you were only 29. :)

Anyway, how did you like the 1976 Independence Bowl pitting McNeese State against Tulsa?

Dallas4Bama

Suspended
Sep 27, 2006
Dallas, Texas
*sigh*

I've made it clear how I feel, the assumptions you make do not match what I clearly stated above. The benefits of extra practice and exposure help the program and int today's 'everyone deserves a trophy' culture, that advantage is being reduced.

Beyond that, spin it however you wish, I'm not going to argue with you or point-by-point refute your post.
That's ok, I'm clear on where you're coming from. Your answer is basically that you just don't like it because to you think it's unfair to allow what amounts to an award in your mind. Even though I would argue the award is really to those of us who enjoy watching football. What is interesting is that because you don't like it you want to deny others the option to watch.

If you knew me you'd know I hate the everyone gets a trophy mentality. We keep score at my house and there are winners and losers. We don't pretend after our boys games that they won if they lost. As for these bowls there is only one trophy and we're playing for it. I don't think any of these teams in El Paso, Ft Worth or Birmingham have any illusions that they are playing for the trophy. They're aware they're losers. So these games have zero impact on our game or the trophy.

BTW, I'm not arguing with you to try and change your mind nor do I disrespect your position. I find this whole conversation very interesting from a social study standpoint. I like to see wherqe public sentiment comes from and how that public would apply it to other areas of life. There are people who will demand they are for choice in certain areas of life, but have no problem denying choice to others when it suits them. I also find it interesting that those who believe in personal freedoms want to deny others the chance to make a choice for themselves. It's just an interesting look into human nature that you can discover while discussing sports.

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
I apologize if my posts offended. I am simply stating my opinion - not suggesting that any others should not be expressed.
No worries. I've been criticized on here before for my rigid opinion on "participation trophy syndrome". haha. I don't take offense to it. Most people are shocked that I can be a mom and hate participation trophies. It's usually the mothers who ask for them. I just don't fit that "soccer mom" mold well. I am competitive and have a "no excuses" philosophy on life. I actually feel sorry for my husband and kids... :tongue:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
What is interesting is that because you don't like it you want to deny others the option to watch.
I never said any such thing - that's quite a straw man. I've simply stated I think anything more than about 10 bowl games is ridiculous and awards mediocrity. I love watching college football, watch far more than most anyone else I know, but I don't care for crappy football - so I don't watch all these awful match-ups.

AmeliaGayle

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 29, 2012
Mobile, AL
The only objective answer to how many bowls are too many is, one more bowl than the free market will support. Anything else is just an expression of personal preference. We all have opinions about which bowls are unwatchable, and about how successful a season must be in order to warrant being rewarded with a bowl. Doubtless, these opinions are biased by Bama's status as the kings of the mountain. Down here in Mobile, folks would be ecstatic if our South Alabama Jaguars gained a spot in the Liquid Plumr Bowl. Some might argue that having so many bowls cheapens the game's integrity, but the integrity of a game has more to do with the heart of the players than the name of the sponsor. I do hope that the free market will force the powers that be to reform bowl selection system. No one who loves the game should have to watch NIU vs FSU as the feature game New Years Day evening.

SavannahDare

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Gulf Breeze, Florida
The last time there were only a dozen bowl games was in 1976. I thought you were only 29. :)

Anyway, how did you like the 1976 Independence Bowl pitting McNeese State against Tulsa?
LOL, I cut my teeth on football during the 70's (29 is far in my rearview). I'd say Tulsa-McNeese may have been the beginning of the ridiculosity that has become bowl season. :biggrin2:

Dallas4Bama

Suspended
Sep 27, 2006
Dallas, Texas
I never said any such thing - that's quite a straw man. I've simply stated I think anything more than about 10 bowl games is ridiculous and awards mediocrity. I love watching college football, watch far more than most anyone else I know, but I don't care for crappy football - so I don't watch all these awful match-ups.
Ok, this is why I was so confused by your post. The question asked in the original post was "how many bowl games are too many?". If someone believes there are too many, then they believe there should be less. If you believe there should be less, then you believe there should be less on tv. If there were less then people wouldn't be able to watch them. So you would in effect be denying people the option to watch the games.

My point all along is simply that I don't watch them all, but the ones that I don't watch sure don't bother me enough to make me say I think there are too many. Like you I simply don't watch those that aren't interesting, but someone finds then interesting. Sometimes its just nice to have football available.

For example, I was stuck inside this afternoon and my options were reruns of House, CSI, Law and Order or the Pin Stripe Bowl. I was sure thankful for the pin stripe bowl. :)

I will say that bowls viewed from the standpoint of reward shouldn't be including six win teams. But I just believe the entire idea of bowls being rewards is long past. For years I have just looked at them as post season exhibition games. They aren't for anything, so in my mind its simply exhibition.

Last edited:

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Thanks for the very appropriate thread, Gray!

Have we diluted the value of the bowl games? I think we have to some degree. Not just because of quantity....but also quality. The fiasco we had this year with last minute "musical chairs" for me was a little ridiculous. An indication for me there is too much money involved with the decision making. But as has been said...we cannot go back...that ship has sailed.

All that said....I am enjoying the extra college games. There are some great story lines behind some of the games too including their past bowl history - team history with their opponent - their coaching staff and changes to it - and their players. Much of this we don't hear about during the regular season because we are more focused on our team. I also enjoy the halftime shows.

What bothers me the most is the re-naming of bowls to include private entities. Valero Alamo Bowl? Give me a break. :(

rolltideface

All-SEC
Jun 30, 2001
hoover, alabama
does not bother me a bit. Don't like it? don't watch it. I'm watching the Chicken Wing Bowl- better than anything else on. It's not like any of these games matter in the grand scheme of things anyway. If they wanna play- go for it. It gives teams extra practice time- maybe even a chance to be on national tv for the first time this year. Who cares if they are 6-6 or 8-4? Doesn't mean squat. I like it.

Perrett4Bama

All-American
Aug 28, 2001
Panama City, Florida
The more the merrier......I love watching college football.....:) the market will work itself out...if no one watches then the sponsors will flee. There must be someone watching because the # of bowl games seem to increase each year.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
I get not wanting to reward mediocrity, but I do like having some CFB on tv during December. Heck, I would be fine with every team getting a bowl invite. I might even enjoy seeing Umass play Southern Miss, duking it out to avoid being the worst team in CFB.

CRIMSON HAMMAH

Suspended
Dec 17, 2012
i see 99% passion ....fired up players in last game forever....springing board for next yr next spring...alot of games alot of chippiness....ga tech usc will be a brawl...

CRIMSON HAMMAH

Suspended
Dec 17, 2012
the rewards are hierarchied...so it's all good...ur in the bottom of the top 25 u get the alamo
ur at the toppish u get fiesta cotton - so on and so forthhe

and more of the best comedic duo in all the entertainment world - mark and lou

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.